+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: General Music Thread

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Default Re: The General Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SGRaaize View Post
    Which excludes pretty much all the Rap and Country music I've heard.
    You haven't heard much country at all then.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    In a Berserk, Near-Death State, running around with an Equalizer

All the Country I heard is a man singing to generic acoustic guitar chord #42

The only country I honestly remember liking are these two songs:

[youtube]I4s0nzsU1Wg[/youtube]
    [youtube]66QcIlblI1U[/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepuffy View Post
    my favorite musician is a guy you've never heard of he is real obscure

he played the guqin back in pre-history, his name is up to interpretation but I prefer to not call him anything since it keeps him pure

we don't know what he really sounded like but his corpse was dressed up gnarly ill he was probably homeless, it's like found
    yeah i like to some pretty indie shit
    I only listen to the Norwegian black metal band, Uhyggeligisen who recorded only one demo back in a lost year sometime in the 80s. It was only recorded on betamax, accompanied by a gritty black and white video of rats being decapitated by a battleaxe by the vocalist, Geitarask. It was recorded at the edge of the fjords, midwinter during a blizzard. The quality's shit but it's the only trve black metal in existence.

Which excludes pretty much all the Rap and Country music I've heard.
    I hate this statement so much. Making it automatically places you as musically ignorant, unless you can prove that you have delved well enough into either to make it.

I need some more straight up country soon. I've been digging the loosely defined territory of alt-country recently.

[youtube]ChDa5x_jx3Y[/youtube]
    Last edited by Wagomu; November 7th, 2010 at 04:07 PM.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    I hate this statement so much.
    Why?

Making it automatically places you as musically ignorant
    I am musically ignorant

unless you can prove that you have delved well enough into either to make it.
    Dude, the only thing I said is that "(almost) every Rap and Country song I heard lacks melody I like"
    I never implied I listened through a lot of them.
    So, I hardly need to prove anything to state what I stated

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

I demand that everyone who desires/disses country listen to the following artists:

Johnny Cash
    Hank Williams
    Hank Snow
    Chet Atkins
    Waylon Jennings
    David Allen Coe
    Willie Nelson
    Hank Williams Jr.
    Brad Paisley
    Alan Jackson
    Trace Adkins
    Cledus T. Judd
    George Strait
    George Jones
    Brooks and Dunn
    Alabama
    Lonestar
    David Bell
    Hank Williams III

The only country I honestly remember liking are these two songs:

[youtube]I4s0nzsU1Wg[/youtube]
    [youtube]66QcIlblI1U[/youtube]
    You:

Rest of Cash's American Recordings albums.
    Alan Jackson
    Hank Williams I
    George Strait
    I need some more straight up country soon. I've been digging the loosely defined territory of alt-country recently.

[youtube]ChDa5x_jx3Y[/youtube]
    You:

Everything on the list at the top of the post that isn't Hank Williams III or possibly Chet Atkins (Depends on your jazz tastes).

On it .

A real rain will come... JERK DISEASE's Avatar

List a few rap songs you liked.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

Whoever said I didn't love jazz is a liar and a fool. I'm actually taking a jazz history class right now, which is a real eye-opener. I never really listened much earlier jazz before. Needless to say, I've lived a deprived life. I'm feeling a ton of Duke Ellington love right now.

I'm already a Chet Atkins fan, though, haha.

Why?
    "I love music, except rap and country" is such an overused line, spouted out by almost anyone who has never really listened to either. I'm glad at least you didn't accompany it with "I listen to everything," but it just frustrates me when I try talking music with most people.

I am musically ignorant
    Well, then cut it out!

Dude, the only thing I said is that "(almost) every Rap and Country song I heard lacks melody I like"
    I never implied I listened through a lot of them.
    So, I hardly need to prove anything to state what I stated
    And that makes it better?
    Last edited by Wagomu; November 7th, 2010 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    List a few rap songs you liked.
    Is that directed at me or am I being egocentric?

Just checked my spotify and apparently the song i've listned the most to is habbib dah by Hashim Abass.

But other than that i like

Hall and Oates
    Brad Paisley
    Marvin Gaye
    Daniel Lemma
    Heart
    Tom Petty
    Aerosmith
    Children of bodom
    Bloodhound gang
    Alice Cooper
    Billy Joel
    Hoffmaestro
    John Farnham
    Delta Goodrem
    Richard Marx

and a whole sleeve of old doowop one hit wonders.

And probably a whole lot more, but that's all i can think of at the top of my head.

I'm getting drunk as fuck but I'll try to throw something out here to help and hope it makes sense

Modern Country music is a rather narrow form of folk music that is highly traditional and can be interpreted as highly derivative because of it. While a lot of listeners would be right in saying that it can all sound the same, the thing to keep in mind is that regardless of how it still actually has a fairly decent market and audience, it's still a very narrow genre so it's nothing to really make too big of an "I don't like" deal out of it. Besides, older country music contains good artists anyways.

For hip-hop on the other hand, a lot of reason (white!!!) people instantly find themselves repulsed from it is that it contains a lot of stigmas to them. Plus it's approached in a unique direction from say, your father's 60s rock vinyls. Hip-hop is about lyricism, delivery & execution, charisma, and outside of the "vocal" side of things, the music that is rapped over is handled by a producer. Sometimes the producer is the rapper himself. The music is all usually handled from the perspective that it is secondary to the rhymes, it's accompaniment. This does not mean it's half-assed or unimportant. Shit, A Tribe Called Quest fucking threw jazz into the fray for their rhymes. Sometimes the production may come first and the rapper may freestyle his rhymes over the tracks laid out, but regardless of order, these two distinct factors basically make up hip-hop's music side. The mechanics of a band vs. rapper/producer are dissimilar and similar all the same, but requires one to not treat it like it's fucking rock music or something.

If you're talking about wanting hip-hop that "has melody" you can find it, but you gotta erase these pre-conceived ideas that you have about it first and approach it from the direction of all the things that make hip-hop hip-hop, what makes it good. Because otherwise people can give you good hip-hop all you want, but you'll just find some reason to dislike the tracks anyways. "This has melody but it's about gangstas," "this has good lyrics but these beats seem repetitive."

I couldn't give a shit about lyrics or whatever.
    One of the few rap songs I've heard and loved enough to put on loop for one entire day is purely sexual all the way through

I just finished listening to like 4 or 5 different songs by A Tribe Called Quest. They've convinced me to try rap. I'm really enjoying this.

Thanks Zephos.

I couldn't give a shit about lyrics or whatever.
    One of the few rap songs I've heard and loved enough to put on loop for one entire day is purely sexual all the way through
    you can tune out the rhymes and just listen to rappers as non-descript vocal makers too

That's where the melody behind the voice comes in, lol

Ever since I started getting into death metal, I stopped paying attention to lyrics and more the melodic and rhythmic qualities of the vocalizations. Well, until the Mountain Goats reminded me of the importance of lyrics. Now I can do either depending on the situation.

then a plethora of hip-hop should be immediately appealing to you

Then I've been incredibly unlucky
    Although, to be fair, I generally only hear the most popular stuff

Ever since I started getting into death metal, I stopped paying attention to lyrics and more the melodic and rhythmic qualities of the vocalizations. Well, until the Mountain Goats reminded me of the importance of lyrics. Now I can do either depending on the situation.
    John Darnielle is my favorite individual artist ever, I have been a fan for so many years, he'll never get old

i own the hound chronicles on cassette

he is the best songwriter ever and if anyone disagrees they can suck fourteen large black penises and they also have to cup the balls with one of their hands

it is an indisputable fact

A real rain will come... JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SGRaaize
    You don't HAVE to care about lyrics, what Holy's getting at is that the vocal section is the focus of most hip-hop (instrumental hip-hop is a thriving world all its own but that's a little advanced for this convo).

With hip-hop the primary musical interest is about poly-rhythm. The beats may be repetitive. But the music is a lot more complex when you cross the beat with the rhythm of the vocal melody which is generally not repetitive.

I'm not much of a lyrical hip-hop listener myself, unless it's stuff with something interesting, funny, or cool to say I usually don't hang off every word of most of what I listen to.
    But I do listen to the vocals.

For the longest time my hardship with getting into rap was learning to not listen just for hooks and beats I liked. But learning how the genre worked musically.
    This is why 80's hip hop can be especially hard for rap noobs to get into.

Typical 80's rap is verrry musically sparce once you get into 1984 on.
    Listen to this.
    [youtube]SavVH4W1lxc&showinfo=0[/youtube]

Things changed in the 90's quickly. But 90% of non-instrumental hip-hop is still based around rhythm even with super melodic beats like you get with the Cunninlynguists.

You have to learn to hear this, mostly because hey, as largely white suburban anime fans you didn't grow up with it.
    I didn't really grow up with a rock pedigree, but I didn't grow up with hip-hop at all either. And look at me now.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information