+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ouran High Host Club

Default Ouran High Host Club

Yes, this is another of the new anime debuting this season. This one is based off an (apparently) popular shoujo manga, although I'd never heard of it.

When I first heard about this I wasn't jumping with joy. Host clubs never really interested me and it sounded like it would be more dumb, convoluted shoujo crap. Then I read some good reviews, and then watched the first episode on YouTube.

This. Is. A. Fine. Piece. Of. CRACK.

Seriously, this show is awesome in every respect. While it does fall into the silly boy harem category, it kind of makes fun of itself and has some damn fine humor that had me rolling. Despite what it looked like, this is some damn good shoujo comedy. It doesn't hurt that the female lead isn't annoying at all.

Basic rundown: poor scholarship student Haruhi goes to the prestigious Ouran High, basically trying to study and not get in the way of the rich and clueless. One day while trying to find a quiet place to study, Haruhi comes upon the school Host Club, run by a menagerie of cute boys. The rundown goes:

Tamaki: president and reigning Host King Bishounen. Obnoxious and self-absorbed.
    Kyouya: The "cool type" and the club intellectual.
    Haninozukua (aka Honey): the shouta-bait type. (shouta being the loli-girl counterpart)
    Morinozuka (aka Mori): the strong, silent type who usually looks after Honey.
    Hikaru and Kaoru: the shounen-ai twins

When Haruhi accidentally breaks an expensive vase, Tamaki decides to make Haruhi the club "dog". But later on the gang realizes that under the frump Haruhi is quite cute, so they turn said frump into a bishounen and make Haruhi work off the debt as a host. The catch? Haruhi is actually a girl.

Yes, it sounds like the set-up for something really awful, but this is a ridiculously funny show, mostly fueled by Tamaki and his over-the-top host antics. But the rest of the boys are plenty funny in their own right, and Haruhi works well as an anchor to Tamaki's ego.

But one of the best parts about this series is some fantastic animation direction by Studio BONES (FMA and Wolf's Rain). If it weren't for the clever and beautiful animation this series might not be as funny as it is. Some really good vocal performances also help.

Try it for yourself, the first fansubbed episode is on youtube split into 3 parts:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44DJG...%20Host%20Club
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ1jc...%20Host%20Club
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujnpg...%20Host%20Club

Default Re: Ouran High Host Club

episode 1 was amazing, one of the series i'll follow for this new season.

I'm still thinking about seeing this.
    He spent fifteen years getting loaded | Fifteen years 'till his liver exploded | Now what's Bob gonna do now that he can't drink? |

oh dear god. ocean got me into reading the manga, and now i've read up to v5 (and owned v3-5 in english).

satsuki said it very very well:
    This. Is. A. Fine. Piece. Of. CRACK.
    all the jokes never (and i repeat, NEVER) failed to crack me up.

in fact, i will go re-read them again right now, since i'm bored.

Miso

I only read the manga and I was kinda disappointed. Yeah, it's funny but it's silly, too. It didn't hook me up. I think there are better series around....

This was my first ever scanlation project I picked, was a project leader, and the very first and fastest title which got licensed. I'm so proud of the series.

A fansubber contacted the scanlation group to help them with fansubbing, but due to our past bad experience, we denied... But I guess somebody already fansubbed it?

Sakamoto Maaya is voicing Haruhi. I gotta watch it. Thanks for Youtube link.

Yeah Lunar subbed it. Watched it , laughed a lot ... guess I WILL be watching this :biglaugh:
    He spent fifteen years getting loaded | Fifteen years 'till his liver exploded | Now what's Bob gonna do now that he can't drink? |

Daisuke CP9

Thanks a lot Satsuki. I just watched episode 1 and I am already hooked to it. Watched it and I enjoyed so much.

A very fine and good anime comedy.

I started reading this about six months ago, and am so very very happy with how the anime is shaping up!
    \\

That was awsome, I totally wasn't expecting
    Spoiler:
    'him' to be a her.
    xD Thanks for sharing! This is definetally a series I'll be looking into!
    Last edited by taboo; April 12th, 2006 at 08:59 PM.

Maybe spoiler tag it?

^^; Sorry~ I thought it may have been far enough down the page...

Quote Originally Posted by e1n
    oh dear god. ocean got me into reading the manga, and now i've read up to v5 (and owned v3-5 in english).

satsuki said it very very well:

all the jokes never (and i repeat, NEVER) failed to crack me up.

in fact, i will go re-read them again right now, since i'm bored.
    From what I've been hearing from those who already read the manga, they're liking the anime better because all the jokes translate so well into moving animation. And if the color art that's used in the ending theme is any indication, I'll like it better too since the manga seems to use the shoujo style of artwork that annoys me; namely the kind where the lips look like they've been freshly stuffed with collagen.

I am calling this my ultimate guilty pleasure of the season. So far the show isn't particuarly deep, but man is it entertaining! I am downloading this the minute I get home.

DougyDougyGiro!*

Tamiki or w.e his name is reminds me of Sanji.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

I'm under a contract that stipulates I must bash all shoujo manga, so I cannot read/watch/imagine Host Club and must tell you that it sucks facist dogma. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek
    I'm under a contract that stipulates I must bash all shoujo manga, so I cannot read/watch/imagine Host Club and must tell you that it sucks facist dogma. Sorry.
    that made me laugh. :laugh:

Okay, now after seeing the 2nd ep this is definitely teh Crack for me :bow: Hope i don't get sick because of laughing too much :laugh:

Hahahahah. I liked episode 2 as well, although I don't think it was quite as funny as episode 1. But apparently the next chapter is going to be *dun dun dun!!* the school physical examination!! Will the host club keep Haruhi's secret a secret? Oh Noes!!!

Oh, and after Tamaki the twins are definitely my favorite characters. So sly!

Quote Originally Posted by DougyDougyGiro!*
    Tamiki or w.e his name is reminds me of Sanji.
    Eh, if anything Tamaki is even goofier than Sanji, although he seems to be better at getting girls than Sanji.

Discovered Stowaway Monkey Spirit's Avatar

That's good to hear, last week I noticed they have the first five tomes or so at my regular library, but I hadn't dared leaf through because I assumed it was yaoi. Ouran High, here I come!

Yup. There are 5 out in english, and 7 out here in Japan. But it's still going as far as I know.

I'm tempted to buy the manga now, but I kinda don't want to be spoiled for what's too come. Maybe I'll pick it up at the next con.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information