+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 844 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 174 574 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 16875

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

  1. #1461

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Lith View Post
    second, the "big three" are called that for a reason. They are the 3 most popular manga not only in Japan, but in America as well.
    Nope.

    Pretty sure they are called the big 3 because they are the 3 series that dragged Jump out of the readers slump that occured after Slam Dunk and Dragonball ended and started bringing in the readers once again.

    I'm guessing that whoever this next big 3 will be, will be the series that bring Jump out of whatever readers slump they encounter when One Piece and Naruto end (lets be honest, with Bleach's current rankings it probably won't effect the magazine too much when it ends)

  2. #1462

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    I found this article that seems to be relevant to this thread:


    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...uy-shonen-jump

  3. #1463
    Discovered Stowaway MarcelloF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    I find it funny that HXH is on it.

    And Enigma is pretty popular :O

    3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

  4. #1464

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by the_bump View Post
    I found this article that seems to be relevant to this thread:


    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...uy-shonen-jump
    Didn't realise that Kochikame was THAT popular.

    Wowza, knew there was a reason its been going on this long.

  5. #1465

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    The chief editor is talking with lawyers about.. something.. big.. and overseas.

    I hope that the online manga project solidifies itself fast.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  6. #1466

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Takaho View Post
    Nope.

    Pretty sure they are called the big 3 because they are the 3 series that dragged Jump out of the readers slump that occured after Slam Dunk and Dragonball ended and started bringing in the readers once again.

    I'm guessing that whoever this next big 3 will be, will be the series that bring Jump out of whatever readers slump they encounter when One Piece and Naruto end (lets be honest, with Bleach's current rankings it probably won't effect the magazine too much when it ends)
    We are the only people who call them that. It isn't an official title at all. I don't even know if the Japanese fanbase calls them that, or if they just think One Piece is godly beyond compare, with Naruto a solid second.

    The only reason we even think of them as a "big three" is because Naruto is/was super popular in America, Bleach slightly less-so, and because we know that OP is popular in Japan. If we were only including one continent, we wouldn't talk this way. So I argue that an american presence DOES matter. I do admit that calling them the "3 most popular manga in america" is probably incorrect, though.

    also consider that each of the "big three" have a strong anime presence in Japan, and two of them in America as well. Beel and Toriko both seem to have kinda mediocre anime. I'm hoping they get better, but without an anime, a series doesn't have a hope of entering the top-tier of manga.

    and then yes, I agree with your assessment that the next time we will see a "big X" grouping will be after One Piece ends.

  7. #1467
    Discovered Stowaway D-kun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Rio Grande do Sul

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Did you check the latest cover? Luffy, Naruto and Toriko where on the "first tier" which, guess what, had only three people there.

  8. #1468

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Lith View Post
    We are the only people who call them that. It isn't an official title at all. I don't even know if the Japanese fanbase calls them that, or if they just think One Piece is godly beyond compare, with Naruto a solid second.

    The only reason we even think of them as a "big three" is because Naruto is/was super popular in America, Bleach slightly less-so, and because we know that OP is popular in Japan. If we were only including one continent, we wouldn't talk this way. So I argue that an american presence DOES matter. I do admit that calling them the "3 most popular manga in america" is probably incorrect, though.
    I've seen the big three thing used in a fair few other places than this. Its not just an Arlong Park thing, its widely used to describe One Piece, Naruto and Bleach.

    You can't say the big 3 are the most popular in America if you keep track of the New Yorks sales, tending to be Naruto, Black Butler and some other random series.

    But you say that the big 3 are just the most popular things is false somewhat, I'm convinced this has come up in this topic before about the big 3 just being what brought Jump out of a slump.

  9. #1469
    S+ Rated Ghoul Kareem Said's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gotham City

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
    Really, I'm pretty sure that if Togashi really does his job and writes HxH regularly then it should be at least equivalent to the popularity of the current big 3, I wonder if that would make it a big 4 or would it replace Bleach for 3rd?
    Apparently for a while, Sena (from Eyeshield 21) made it a big 4, in Japan anyway. And I'm planning on reading Eyeshield 21 soon enough, even though it's sports I've heard nothing but good things about it from people whose opinions I greatly respect, so I'm planning on reading that bad boy.

    Edit: Yeah, I think it's a testament that HxH's popularity (in Japan) that it still ranks that high even after all the hiatuses. And yeah BBL, we're not the only people who call One Piece, Naruto and Bleach the big three, it's a well known term in the anime/manga fandom.

    Some people actually add Fullmetal Alchemist to make it a big four, despite FMA not being in Shonen Jump. Other manga that have been added to the "big four" are Death Note, Fairy Tail and recently Toriko. Honestly now that I look at them Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail are actually pretty unique in how popular they are despite how much they suck. (Although Naruto was pretty damn awesome when it started out, but we all know what happened there). The other super popular, relatively recent manga besides One Piece that I mentioned (Eyeshield 21, Hunter x Hunter, Fullmetal Alchemist, Toriko, Death Note) all range from pretty to very awesome. So popular things (in Japan anyway) don't have to suck.

    Although I forgot about Shaman King, apparently in Japan that series was actually very popular (and it was shit from what I hear) maybe not on the same level as the other series, but it was still one of Jump's big guns for a time. Sorry if this is off topic and sorry if I mentioned two series that weren't in Jump (they just happen to be ultra-popular, even though only one of them deserves it). I just like to analyze popular manga.

    You see there's a difference between popular and really popular. Negima, D. Gray-man and Reborn are all quite popular but they are certainly not on the level of the other series I mentioned (one of those series kicks ass, one is alright and one of them sucks, I'll let you guess which one's which). Once again, sorry I posted so much stuff that wasn't completely relevant.
    Last edited by Kareem Said; May 10th, 2011 at 04:35 PM.
    My Hero Academia is my favorite manga series right now. At least so long as the high of its greatness remains. United States of Smash.

  10. #1470

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Shaman king, the series with almost 300 chapters that was forced to end. It wasn't that popular.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  11. #1471
    S+ Rated Ghoul Kareem Said's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gotham City

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Shaman king, the series with almost 300 chapters that was forced to end. It wasn't that popular.
    Yeah I didn't think so, I just heard it might've been one of their heavy hitters at one point. But this might've been when they were really desperate.
    My Hero Academia is my favorite manga series right now. At least so long as the high of its greatness remains. United States of Smash.

  12. #1472

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Despite it's flaws cause it had many I still thought Shaman King was a good series.
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

  13. #1473

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Shaman king, the series with almost 300 chapters that was forced to end. It wasn't that popular.
    It got a prope ending eventualy.

  14. #1474

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    ToC Issue Jump #23:
    Hanasaka Ikkyu (Cover & Lead Color Page, New Series)
    One Piece
    Toriko
    Naruto
    Reborn!
    Sket Dance (Color Page)
    Gintama
    Bakuman
    Beelzebub
    Magico (Color Page)
    Enigma
    Medaka Box
    Grimm
    Bleach
    Inumaru Dashi
    Kuroko No Basket
    Sengoku Armors (First Rank)
    Kochikame
    Nurarihyon No Mago
    Dois Sol
    Hokenshitsu No Shinigami

    Toriko is asking for its throne.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

  15. #1475

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Wow.

    11th.

    LOL :P

  16. #1476
    Discovered Stowaway MarcelloF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Bleach is 10th again? Nice.

    Too bad for Sengoku armors.

    Beelzebub and Enigma are really high, though, that makes me happy.

    3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

  17. #1477

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Reborn 4th? Zealosm of fangirls should never be underrestimated.

  18. #1478
    I like videogames TLC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Malta

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    ToC Issue Jump #23:
    Hanasaka Ikkyu (Cover & Lead Color Page, New Series)
    One Piece
    Toriko
    Naruto
    Reborn!
    Sket Dance (Color Page)
    Gintama
    Bakuman
    Beelzebub
    Magico (Color Page)
    Enigma
    Medaka Box
    Grimm
    Bleach
    Inumaru Dashi
    Kuroko No Basket
    Sengoku Armors (First Rank)
    Kochikame
    Nurarihyon No Mago
    Dois Sol
    Hokenshitsu No Shinigami

    Toriko is asking for its throne.
    I cheer that Toriko is second.

    I laugh that Bleach is eleventh.

    I cry that Reborn is fourth.

  19. #1479

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    One Steep at the time TLS, One Steep at the Time...

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by GEPPETTOSMONSTER View Post
    Despite it's flaws cause it had many I still thought Shaman King was a good series.
    Everything that Bleach Is, Shaman King is X2.

    Hax Villian.
    Fangirl Bait.
    Useless CAST.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  20. #1480
    What's wrong with you! IceBorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Portugal

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    I like that Medaka is in the Top 10.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts