+ Reply to Thread
Page 689 of 844 FirstFirst ... 189 589 639 679 687 688 689 690 691 699 739 789 ... LastLast
Results 13,761 to 13,780 of 16867

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: The "Shueisha" Thread

WSJ#6-2017

Quote Originally Posted by ShinigamiKing View Post
    Overall, is it safe to assume that if not for the hiatus, HunterxHunter's level of popularity could have been One Piece level in Japan, since some of it's later arcs (I haven't read them yet) are usually as well-regarded as the best OP arcs?
    Nope, it isn't. This is like the myth of 2nd season boost. It basically never happens, but people always talk like is a frequent thing. Is the same for the crossover boost, a smaller series getting a crossover with a larger series gives the smaller a boost.

Looking at the progression of popularity of the series we have:

One Piece was printing 1.35 Million copies in volume 11 that was the volume that came as the anime started. Volume 16, 5 volumes later or in other words 1 year later, it reached the 2 Million copies in print checkpoint, printing 2.04 Million copies. Volume 21, 1 year later, it had reached 2.3 Million copies, 260k more copies in print. Volume 27, 1 year later and 1 more volume, it had reached 2.63 Million copies in print. And that was the peak for One Piece for a long time, and to note also the record in manga volume print!
    Reaching that level is almost impossible, and only achieved by Attack on Titan hype after that(with 2.75 Million copies in print). But One Piece still got another group of increases, increasing an additional 1.375 Million copies from its previous peak, and achieving a 4.005 Million copies in print. Something that is no short from a Miracle.

Hunter x Hunter was printing 750k copies by volume 3, the volume before the anime we have data. Volume 7, 1 volume after the anime, it achieved 1.22 Million copies in print. Volume 10, 1 year later, HxH achieved 1.42 Million copies in print(One Piece 1 year after the anime reached 2.04 Million, 620k copies more). Volume 13, 1 year later, it achieved 1.6 Million copies in print(One Piece had reached 2.3 Million, 700k copies more). The OVA begins and the manga is in the Greed Island arc, and it starts to decrease in print number, reaching in volume 20(the last volume during the OVA) 1.495 Million copies(One Piece at that time was printing 2.5 Million copies, 1 Million copies more). After that the series print number varied between 1.4 Million copies in print and 1.55 Million copies in print.

It would be more reasonable thinking to believe that without hiatus the series would be able to reach 2 Million copies in print(A value that Togashi was never able to reach even with Yu Yu Hakusho), but to believe that it would not only do 400k more than the series ever did(1.6M+0.4M = 2M), but add 630k more copies. And the believe doesn't end there, it goes even further to believe it would add an additional 1.375 Million copies, value that is practically the size of what HxH does right now(if we give an error of 25k to 175k copies in print).

So, Nope. The probability of HxH getting to One Piece level if it didn't had the hiatus problem is the same as a almost cancelled series in Jump, to survive and than get such a boost with its anime that reaches 1 Million copies in print by volume.

Shounen Jump Issue 6:
    One Piece (Cover, Lead CP)
    Boku no Hero Academia
    Kimetsu no Yaiba
    Sesuji wo Pin! to (CP)
    Saiki Kusuo no Sainan (CP)

Haikyuu!!
    Black Clover
    Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
    Demon's Plan
    Hinomaru Zumou (CP)
    Yakusoku no Neverland
    Ole Golazo
    Samon-kun wa Summoner
    Shokugeki no Souma
    Haru yo, Koi! (One Shot Part 2)
    Ibitsu no Amalgam
    Spring Weapon Number One
    Gintama
    Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Shounen Jump Issue 7:
    Cover, Lead CP: Kimetsu no Yaiba
    CP: Samon-kun wa Summoner, Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san, Ki no Juukurou (One Shot by Fushimi Kousuke)

Shounen Jump Issue 8:
    One Shot: Golem Hearts (by Ohsuga Gen)

Shounen Jump Issue 9:
    One Shot: Asagaya Geijutsu Koukou Eizou-ka e Youkoso (by Matsukita Tsuya (story) and Usazaki Shiro (artwork)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigivel View Post
    Nope, it isn't. This is like the myth of 2nd season boost. It basically never happens, but people always talk like is a frequent thing. Is the same for the crossover boost, a smaller series getting a crossover with a larger series gives the smaller a boost.

Looking at the progression of popularity of the series we have:

One Piece was printing 1.35 Million copies in volume 11 that was the volume that came as the anime started. Volume 16, 5 volumes later or in other words 1 year later, it reached the 2 Million copies in print checkpoint, printing 2.04 Million copies. Volume 21, 1 year later, it had reached 2.3 Million copies, 260k more copies in print. Volume 27, 1 year later and 1 more volume, it had reached 2.63 Million copies in print. And that was the peak for One Piece for a long time, and to note also the record in manga volume print!
    Reaching that level is almost impossible, and only achieved by Attack on Titan hype after that(with 2.75 Million copies in print). But One Piece still got another group of increases, increasing an additional 1.375 Million copies from its previous peak, and achieving a 4.005 Million copies in print. Something that is no short from a Miracle.

Hunter x Hunter was printing 750k copies by volume 3, the volume before the anime we have data. Volume 7, 1 volume after the anime, it achieved 1.22 Million copies in print. Volume 10, 1 year later, HxH achieved 1.42 Million copies in print(One Piece 1 year after the anime reached 2.04 Million, 620k copies more). Volume 13, 1 year later, it achieved 1.6 Million copies in print(One Piece had reached 2.3 Million, 700k copies more). The OVA begins and the manga is in the Greed Island arc, and it starts to decrease in print number, reaching in volume 20(the last volume during the OVA) 1.495 Million copies(One Piece at that time was printing 2.5 Million copies, 1 Million copies more). After that the series print number varied between 1.4 Million copies in print and 1.55 Million copies in print.

It would be more reasonable thinking to believe that without hiatus the series would be able to reach 2 Million copies in print(A value that Togashi was never able to reach even with Yu Yu Hakusho), but to believe that it would not only do 400k more than the series ever did(1.6M+0.4M = 2M), but add 630k more copies. And the believe doesn't end there, it goes even further to believe it would add an additional 1.375 Million copies, value that is practically the size of what HxH does right now(if we give an error of 25k to 175k copies in print).

So, Nope. The probability of HxH getting to One Piece level if it didn't had the hiatus problem is the same as a almost cancelled series in Jump, to survive and than get such a boost with its anime that reaches 1 Million copies in print by volume.
    Ah I see, it seems like Hunter Hunter had a ceiling then. Thanks for the clarification.

It makes One Piece's sales explosion (and initial peak in early skypeia) that much more remarkable. Even though I think One Piece is probably the best shonen by a big stretch (at least compared to most series), I'm surprised it got so big considering that the show only hit it's stride around Baratie/Arlong. I wonder how well the series was received in Japan around that 1998 period.

Thanks a lot for the data; where do you find it by the way?
    FMA 03> FMA Brotherhood

I believe he's finding the data from here: http://www.geocities.jp/wj_log/rank/

Ah I see, it seems like Hunter Hunter had a ceiling then. Thanks for the clarification.

It makes One Piece's sales explosion (and initial peak in early skypeia) that much more remarkable. Even though I think One Piece is probably the best shonen by a big stretch (at least compared to most series), I'm surprised it got so big considering that the show only hit it's stride around Baratie/Arlong. I wonder how well the series was received in Japan around that 1998 period.

We have both the data for One Piece Magazine TOC and volume sales(though not all volumes) since the beginning of the series. The series was mega popular since the beginning in both forms. Getting the biggest reported 1st print of any 1st volume in the magazine, 300k. Assassination Classroom also got that same print number. And is the series with the best starting rankings any series ever had, becoming one of the "Big 3" of the Magazine series Covers in the 1st one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigivel View Post
    We have both the data for One Piece Magazine TOC and volume sales(though not all volumes) since the beginning of the series. The series was mega popular since the beginning in both forms. Getting the biggest reported 1st print of any 1st volume in the magazine, 300k. Assassination Classroom also got that same print number. And is the series with the best starting rankings any series ever had, becoming one of the "Big 3" of the Magazine series Covers in the 1st one.
    Damn wow, OP was huge right at the start. I assume a lot of Jump's heavy hitters ended, right? Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk, Yu yu Hakusho, etc. all in the 2-3 years before OP started. Not too sure what One Piece Magazine TOC is tho.
    FMA 03> FMA Brotherhood

Author Comments:

unclear ^^
    Last edited by ScotchInformer; December 29th, 2016 at 08:26 AM.

Damn wow, OP was huge right at the start. I assume a lot of Jump's heavy hitters ended, right? Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk, Yu yu Hakusho, etc. all in the 2-3 years before OP started. Not too sure what One Piece Magazine TOC is tho.
    Yu Yu Hakusho ended in 1994, Dragon Ball in 1995, Slam Dunk in 1996. One Piece started at the end of 1997(September to be more specific).

The first chapter of One Piece had this series(And they are ordered like they appeared in the TOC):

- One Piece
    1- Rurouni Kenshin(Samurai X)
    2- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    - Seikimatsu Leader den Takeshi(New series started previous issue. Made by Toriko author)
    3- Houshin Engi(Soul Hunter)
    - JOKER (New series started issue before the previous one)
    4- I''s
    5- Kochikame
    6- WILD HALF
    7- Hareluya Boy II
    8- Hell Teacher Nube
    9- Hanasaka Tenshi Tenten-kun
    10- Midori Makibao
    11- Makuhari (Highly popular and controversial comedy series that had to be cancelled due to author behavior)
    12- Yu-Gi-Oh
    13- Wrestling with Momoko(From the creator of Tar-chan and the author that Oda considers that influenced him more when he was his assistant)
    14- Vivian the Witch
    15- Captain Tsubasa: Golden 23

The First Ranking on One Piece:

1- WILD HALF
    - COOL - Rental Body Guard(new series)
    2- Rurouni Kenshin(Samurai X)
    3- Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi(2nd chapter ranking)
    4- I''s
    5- One Piece(1st chapter ranking)
    6- Hareluya BOY 2
    7- Hanasaka Tenshi Tenten-kun
    - Kirin(New series)
    8- Hoshin Engi
    - Kappa Revolution(New Series)
    9- Hell Teacher Nube
    10- Kochikame
    11- Yu-Gi-Oh
    12- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    13- Jinnai Ryuujuujutsu Butouden Majima-kun Suttobasu!!
    14- Makuhari
    15- Midori no Makibao
    16- Vivian the Witch
    17- JOKER(3rd chapter ranking)

Note: In this one both cover and color pages are counted as normal positions.

Some One Piece rankings(starting at the 1st chapter, 5 place)
    . 5 place
    . 4 place
    . 2
    . 4
    . 1
    . 2
    . 3
    . 3
    . 1
    . 1
    . 2
    ...(Always between 1st and 3rd position)
    Last edited by Bigivel; December 29th, 2016 at 09:16 AM.

If anyone interested in Golem Hearts (upcoming Shounen Jump's one shot), then its was released in Shounen Jump+ as well. Here is the raw for it.

http://plus.shonenjump.com/client_in...LUS00005144_57

Ok, I'm almost done, I just need to upload it to a website, and fix the on hover action to give the series info. And change the horizontal to be less crowded

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I took out every series that isn't over 60 aproximate chapters long.

The chapter count is made through the start and end issue, so on the start and end years it indicates how long it was. It ignores the existence of double issues. It ignores breaks.

I can't just upload it to google docs, and I completely forgot how to work git after a year with a stupid old and useless version control tool, so I'm having trouble uploading it.

I'll finish the on hover dialog text thingie first before trying to upload it again.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Jump SQ. February Issue:
    Black Torch (Lead CP, New Series)
    Ao no Exorcist (Cover)

Salaryman Exorcist Okumura Yukio no Aishuu
    Sousei no Onmyouji
    Gag Manga Biyori GB
    Chihaya-san wa Sonomama de Ii
    Kemono Jihen (CP)
    Happy Mily
    Taishau Wotome Otogibanashi
    Owari no Seraph (CP)
    Yuukoku no Moriarty
    Kono Oto Tomare!
    Platinum End
    Ohmori Satisfaction
    Shounen Shoujo
    To Love-Ru Darkness (CP)
    Shin Tennis no Oujisama
    Houkago no Oujisama
    Densetsu no Yuusha no Konkatsu
    Wonder Rabbit Girl
    7th Garden
    Iiyone! Yonezawa Sensei

Jump SQ. March Issue:
    Cover: Kono Oto Tomare!
    Lead CP: Platinum End
    CP: Salaryman Exorcist Okumura Yukio no Aishuu, Gag Manga Biyori GB, Black Torch, Mr. Clice (New Series (Irregular Serialization) by Akimoto Osamu (author of Kochikame); Moved from Monthly Shounen Jump)

Jump SQ. February Issue Color Pages:
    Hidden:

Black Torch (New Series)

Kemono Jihen

Owari no Seraph

To Love-Ru Darkness

Jump SQ. March Issue Preview:
    Hidden:

Shounen Jump X Vol.1 Color Pages:
    Hidden:

Animored!! (One Shot)

It looks like Jump able to find the new Shirai Kaiu/Demizu Posuka (authors of Yakusoku no Neverland). Shounen Jump+ sure making good newbies lightly.

Who do you mean?

From Jump X, i liked that Baseball one-shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihore View Post
    Who do you mean?

From Jump X, i liked that Baseball one-shot.
    I'm talking about Jump+, not Jump X.

i know,my comment about X was a different topic not related to what you where talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihore View Post
    i know,my comment about X was a different topic not related to what you where talking about.
    Okay.

Also, I was talking about the one shot which released in Shounen Jump+ today. I'm hoping the author become successful like Kaiu/Posuka (since they also released their work in Jump+ as well.

Cover Count time, this time, with images!

Full Group!: 4
    Spoiler:

Just Started: 8 (Cheating with Boruto)
    Spoiler:

Started and ended:3
    Spoiler:

One Piece: 7
    Spoiler:

Hakyu!:5
    Spoiler:

My hero Academia:4
    Spoiler:

Shokugeki no Soma:3 and 1/2
    Spoiler:

Gintama:3
    Spoiler:

Black Clover: 3
    Spoiler:

Series without cover in this year:
    Ended: Bleach, Toriko, Nisekoi, Monofu, Buddy Strike
    Ongoing: Isobe Isobee, Hunter x Hunter (It even had chapters this year!)
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Psy/Soma shared cover
    Spoiler:

Only one:
    Spoiler:

Assassination Classroom (ended)
    Spoiler:

Psy Kuso
    Spoiler:

World Trigger
    Spoiler:

Hinomaru Sumo
    Spoiler:

Samon the Summoner
    Spoiler:

<the dance manga>
    Spoiler:

Kochikame (ended)
    Spoiler:

Oh, finaly found it! I wanted to do it but.. this is fine I guess: http://landofobscusion.blogspot.com....1_archive.html

This dude wrote an article about 120+ series of jump, anything over 3 years or notable is there.

Sad that I didn't do it though.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Togashi Yoshihiro drew two illustrations for Togawa Jun's (Japanese musician) album. He's been pretty busy lightly like drawing illustration or writing commenting for young manga series. But, he still isn't thinking about resuming HxH.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information