+ Reply to Thread
Page 676 of 844 FirstFirst ... 176 576 626 666 674 675 676 677 678 686 726 776 ... LastLast
Results 13,501 to 13,520 of 16871

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: The "Shueisha" Thread

How can the same content drag when presented weekly, but doesn't when trimestral?

Certainly you're not talking of the content(Dressrosa) than, but something else

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigivel View Post
    How can the same content drag when presented weekly, but doesn't when trimestral?

I think he means "when reading all 10 volumes in one sitting" rather than "read 1 volume every 3 months when a new volume comes out"

but I also feel that reading short bits once a week will make it feel like its dragging, as opposed to being read at your own pace, simply because when there is a chapter where not a lot happens, you can just read it fast and go to the next one, instead of waiting a week for more info, or even two weeks when there are breaks sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik Dynomite View Post
    I think he means "when reading all 10 volumes in one sitting" rather than "read 1 volume every 3 months when a new volume comes out"

but I also feel that reading short bits once a week will make it feel like its dragging, as opposed to being read at your own pace, simply because when there is a chapter where not a lot happens, you can just read it fast and go to the next one, instead of waiting a week for more info, or even two weeks when there are breaks sometimes
    The point is that you then don't understand the concept of pace and specially something dragging. And this is the major problem about reading posts in the internet.

Reading in 1 go a chapter with x happening and than wait, being that x not a lot, is the exact same pace and drag as reading 2,3,10,20,100 or even 1000 chapters in one go where in each chapter x happens.

Pace is the steps/velocity the story takes, dragging is the effect of slowing to much the pacing in a portion of the story.
    What he saying Dressrossa dragging in fact has nothing to do with Dressrossa. What he is talking is publishing pace and/or reading pace. Those are independent of the story, of the arc.

The conclusion I take of hearing somebody saying that the exact same content drags in the magazine, but not in the volume release, is that he doesn't know what the hell he is talking and that the big difference he felt about those two release schedules is due to his impatience. His desire for more and its rejection. Not anything to do with the story.

This is equivalent of saying that a person has more speed when you see him while you walking than when you in the train. Or closer to this case, that he is dragging when you in the train and not when you're walking.

Shounen Jump Issue 48:
    Black Clover (Cover, Lead CP)
    One Piece
    World Trigger
    Gintama (CP)
    Boku no Hero Academia
    Spring Weapon Number One
    Ibitsu no Amalgam
    Toriko
    Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
    Saiki Kusuo no Sainan (CP)
    Yakusoku no Neverland
    Haikyuu!!
    Kimetsu no Yaiba
    Samon-kun wa Summoner
    Hinomaru Zumou
    Shokugeki no Souma
    Sesuji wo Pin! to
    Isobe Isobee Monogatari (CP)
    Love Rush!
    Red Sprite

Shounen Jump Issue 49:
    Cover, Lead CP: Black Clover
    CP: Saiki Kusuo no Sainan, Boku no Hero Academia
    Special Chapter: Akuma no Memumemu-chan

Woah...Toriko is kinda high this week.

And Soma, get the fuck out there.

Hidden:

Shokugeki no Souma Volume 21

Isobe Isobee Monogatari〜Ukiyo wa Tsuraiyo〜Volume 12

Boku no Hero Academia Volume 11

Takuan to Batsu no Nichijou Enma-chou Volume 2

The point is that you then don't understand the concept of pace and specially something dragging. And this is the major problem about reading posts in the internet.

Reading in 1 go a chapter with x happening and than wait, being that x not a lot, is the exact same pace and drag as reading 2,3,10,20,100 or even 1000 chapters in one go where in each chapter x happens.

Pace is the steps/velocity the story takes, dragging is the effect of slowing to much the pacing in a portion of the story.
    What he saying Dressrossa dragging in fact has nothing to do with Dressrossa. What he is talking is publishing pace and/or reading pace. Those are independent of the story, of the arc.

The conclusion I take of hearing somebody saying that the exact same content drags in the magazine, but not in the volume release, is that he doesn't know what the hell he is talking and that the big difference he felt about those two release schedules is due to his impatience. His desire for more and its rejection. Not anything to do with the story.
    This is equivalent of saying that a person has more speed when you see him while you walking than when you in the train. Or closer to this case, that he is dragging when you in the train and not when you're walking.
    It's not that unusual that reading a bunch of chapters vs just 1 chapter feels different. Cliffhangers aren't as much as an issue for one thing. I'm currently re-reading One Piece, Fishman Island and Punk Hazard feel very different in one go rather than waiting each week. Some stuff is flat out annoying to wait on. Like a few chapters in a row of mostly running and barely getting anywhere. This time I can get through it uninterrupted.

Not the case at all. Weekly chapters are designed towards cliffhangers, and sometimes during a given week, the content can be part of a greater whole... and it's not that strong on it's own when it's all you have for a week. Especially if its a chapter focusing on a character or plotline you don't care for as much.

But when it's in the middle of a volume, it is part of the greater whole. Especially when it comes to multi chapter flashbacks or lengthy fight scenes. The pace *is* different. The pace of the story itself may not be changed, but how you are absorbing it is wildly different.

Same thing happens with TV. Watching LOST on a weekly basis, complete with 6 month hiatuses, with time to speculateand discuss with others and wonder where it will go along the way... is a completely different experience than marathoning it all after the fact in a few days. People always complain about LOST's pacing and that it never answered its questions... and that's partly because for them those questions dragged over 3-6 years. I saw it all after the fact and had almost no problems with the pacing and felt like it answered its questions pretty readily and fairly quickly.

The actual content is the same sure, but the length of time in the gaps between installments absolutely shapes your impression and experience of something and how it feels lengthwise. Following a story over the course of two years is NOT the same as reading it all in a couple hours... it just isn't.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

One piece has 340 million in print in Japan

340 million in print in Japan + 60-65 million Outside of Japan (has probably gotten close to 70 million by now) = 400-405+ million overall for One piece

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

plus if I remember right the sales were practically the same prior to it.

Sales now for all series have gone down a bit

AOT use to do 1.7-8 million

latest volume now only has done 1.3-1.4

This Week's Jump Comic Sales:

12. Haikyuu!! #23 (59,440 / 690,688)
    41. Nisekoi #25 (21,681 / 231,626)

WSJ Issue 48 Cover

Boy, they do so like to talk about the PSVR.
    http://mangastream.com/r/wsjac/%2320/3763/2

World Trigger has made it, right up there with the big dogs! I'm so proud.

It's an interesting thing to bring up, I wonder if the anime could've actually made dressrosa more bearable. If, and only if, it had more room and material to work with.

I'm thinking it probably could've been the best animated arc of one piece (or come very close). Instead it just becomes average.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    It's not that unusual that reading a bunch of chapters vs just 1 chapter feels different. Cliffhangers aren't as much as an issue for one thing. I'm currently re-reading One Piece, Fishman Island and Punk Hazard feel very different in one go rather than waiting each week. Some stuff is flat out annoying to wait on. Like a few chapters in a row of mostly running and barely getting anywhere. This time I can get through it uninterrupted.
    And ... What that has anything to do with the arc having different drag levels?

You're totally saying what I was pointing out in "... the big difference he felt about those two release schedules is due to his impatience. His desire for more and its rejection. Not anything to do with the story. "

Of course it feels different, the impatience and the rejection of more content isn't there. That is why many people wait for stories to completely end to start reading them. Still, this is not the same has the story dragging weekly and not dragging Trimestral or yearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Not the case at all. Weekly chapters are designed towards cliffhangers, and sometimes during a given week, the content can be part of a greater whole... and it's not that strong on it's own when it's all you have for a week. Especially if its a chapter focusing on a character or plotline you don't care for as much.

But when it's in the middle of a volume, it is part of the greater whole. Especially when it comes to multi chapter flashbacks or lengthy fight scenes. The pace *is* different. The pace of the story itself may not be changed, but how you are absorbing it is wildly different.

Same thing happens with TV. Watching LOST on a weekly basis, complete with 6 month hiatuses, with time to speculateand discuss with others and wonder where it will go along the way... is a completely different experience than marathoning it all after the fact in a few days. People always complain about LOST's pacing and that it never answered its questions... and that's partly because for them those questions dragged over 3-6 years. I saw it all after the fact and had almost no problems with the pacing and felt like it answered its questions pretty readily and fairly quickly.

The actual content is the same sure, but the length of time in the gaps between installments absolutely shapes your impression and experience of something and how it feels lengthwise. Following a story over the course of two years is NOT the same as reading it all in a couple hours... it just isn't.
    So the content is the same sure, what is different is your impression of something. So the content drag level is different, right? Nope, because like you said "Your impression" is different, not the content.

Quote Originally Posted by ARC-1300 View Post
    It's an interesting thing to bring up, I wonder if the anime could've actually made dressrosa more bearable. If, and only if, it had more room and material to work with.

I'm thinking it probably could've been the best animated arc of one piece (or come very close). Instead it just becomes average.
    Dressrossa is one of the best animated arcs in one piece. If not the best!

Pace is not related with animation.

Dressrossa anime in fact has more material than Dressrossa manga.

Jump SQ. December Issue Cover:
    Hidden:

Preview Scenes for -Rurouni Kenshin Ibun- Ashitarou Zenka Ari (Upcoming One Shot):
    Hidden:

Hidden:

Hinomaru Zumou Volume 12

English version of Mythical Creature Doctor Toteku (Genjuui Toteku), one shot winner of the Golden Future Cup 2015: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/genjuui-toteku-r16426 Hopefully it will get serialized.

Read through it.

I died at the minotaur

Spoiler:

The story and characters aren't that interesting, but the setting was great! I hope this gets serialized!
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

It is getting serialized because its the winner. took quite a while but I guess it will come in the incoming round.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information