+ Reply to Thread
Page 522 of 844 FirstFirst ... 22 422 472 512 520 521 522 523 524 532 572 622 ... LastLast
Results 10,421 to 10,440 of 16867

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: General Shueisha TOC and News

I liked Kagami Gami. But I have this feeling that it won't be appealing enough for Iwashiro to meet a big success this time (especially with the current lineup). Hopefully for him, I'll be proven wrong.
    Looking forward to reading Roggy in a couple weeks because I enjoyed the one-shot.

I liked Kagamigami or however it's called, the chapter was somewhat uneventful, but gave us a little overview of the main characters that I liked:

Spoiler:
    The girl seems proactive, and has a skill that's beyond the boy, plus did a drop kick on the villian, that's always a plus. I find it weird how she asked him to come live with him, but he did say that he lived very far and had nowhere to go.

The boy seems pretty generic, but I enjoyed his "I'm pervy but I don't like it" or "I'd love to peek at you, but that's wrong so I won't" and his interaction with his spirits. The suave Kurama persona was.. meh, but let's see how they handle it forward.

The spirit seems pretty fickle, too little interaction

The battle spirit had a neat dual design going with his pet form and combat form, but I'm sad that he's not the main combatant.

Loved how the generic shikigamis changed shape randomly, grew bigger and stuff.

So far seems like neuro with a healthy dinamic, and the whole weird "end of the world" intro picked my interest.

Without seeing the others I'd say that this one could get beyond the 50th chapter mark.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Psyren had everything to be one of the best titles in Jump's history but it just missed at some point near his 100 chapters.
    And I still don't know what or how it did wrong.

Why Viz doing this? Do anyone know the answer?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...2-manga/.84264

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizou 10 View Post

To test the waters? What I understood is that they are puting it with the jump start crowd, if it beats them, then there would be Shojo in our Shonen jump, and open the door to other Shojo options in the future. Probably some other WSJ related person like Greg made the same question in a more Shojo friendly forum and got that answer, or pasionate shojo fans do buy tons of volumes.

Personaly I belive that anything not WSJ and not One Punch man is undeserving of the title, but if it draws in more audience, doesn't cut space from good WSJ series or the manga primer: "It's interesting" then welcome!

But if it's with the Jump Starts and there's already 4 planed, (Kagamigami, Black Clover, Cyborg Orgy and Ultra Battle Satelite) then where it is?
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Why do you think that?
    Because the guy's in his 60s right now; a lot of people retire around his age.

And what better time to do so than at a 10-year milestone?

Maybe Viz wants to get the shoujo demographic too (let's be real, it's been sorely neglected).

It'd be nice if they brought back Shoujo Beat instead of stuffing BOF in with a bunch of shonen manga, but they're probably afraid of it bombing like it did in magazine format.

Besides, if enough shojo gets aproved they'll get their own magazine.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Wait, isn't Nisekoi supossed to be Jump's official Shojo?

That series is gonna start serialization in Jump+ for what I understood, so technically is Shonen!
    I don't know probably the author will try to turn the story more like a Shonen Harem like Nisekoi or something. Given that the first part(?) was one of the most popular shoujo stories ever in Japan(was it popular in America?) it makes sense that they will try to see how it does in English Shonen Jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
    Because the guy's in his 60s right now; a lot of people retire around his age.
    There are no retirement for mangaka, author, artist, actor, singer, etc. Only people working in company has retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Nisekoi isn't that shojo-esque, it's mostly just a really shitty harem.

Because Shueisha is doing it, and Viz is following suit.

C'mon, people. Let's not act like the English Weekly Shonen Jump exists in a vacuum. As it says in the very article you linked, all these "Jump Start" manga are new series making their debut in the Japanese Weekly Shōnen Jump or (in the case of the new Boys over Flowers sequel) the ShōnenJump+ app.

As for why a Boys over Flowers sequel would debut there rather than a shōjo magazine... well, if it's destined to be a digital-exclusive, then none of Shueisha's shōjo magazines have a digital counterpart, let alone anything as aggressively original as ShōnenJump+. There just isn't much of a choice. That said, there's plenty of series over time that could go either way towards shōnen or shōjo, with the perception largely determined by art style and the magazine they're published in. There's one artist I know of, "Shiroyagi", who has two different four-panel strips running simultaneously in both ShōnenJump+ and Bessatsu Margaret, differing primarily in art style rather than tone or sense of humor. (The one in Bessatsu Margaret has a lot more soft-focus effects and those weird background tone-smudges that you often see in those magazines.)

What I'd like to know is, how much influence the overseas response has in deciding whether a series gets continued past the one- or two-volume mark. In the past, of course, it was the weekly surveys in the Japanese magazine, but perhaps if there's enough interest from outside Japan, even a series that's unpopular in its home country could keep going for the sake of its foreign fans...?

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    It's just a run-of-the-mill shōnen harem series. Nothing particulary daring, or even "edgy" for its demographic. Kuroko's Basketball used to be the one drawing in all the female fans, but since that ended (and the sequel is running in Jump NEXT!!), I'm not sure what, if any, series would be filling that role at the moment.
    Last edited by SaiyaJedi; February 9th, 2015 at 07:36 PM.
    Co-Translator, Podcast Regular, and Man-in-Japan at Kanzenshuu, your authoritative Dragon Ball online resource

Quote Originally Posted by Bigivel View Post
    That series is gonna start serialization in Jump+ for what I understood, so technically is Shonen!
    I don't know probably the author will try to turn the story more like a Shonen Harem like Nisekoi or something. Given that the first part(?) was one of the most popular shoujo stories ever in Japan(was it popular in America?) it makes sense that they will try to see how it does in English Shonen Jump.
    Well I'll be! I'm curious as to how the author's gonna shonen-ize it (unless it's just there to draw in female readers).

(Fun fact: Nisekoi had the lowest percentage of female readers in Jump in 2012.)

(Jump really needs to do another gender poll. It's starting to get outdated.)

There are no retirement for mangaka, author, artist, actor, singer, etc. Only people working in company has retirement.
    So he's supposed to work on Kochikame until he dies????????

(Retiring implies he's not going to make anymore manga besides maybe a oneshot or a really short series once in awhile. I really doubt he's gonna try for another serialization after this.)

So he's supposed to work on Kochikame until he dies????????

(Retiring implies he's not going to make anymore manga besides maybe a oneshot or a really short series once in awhile. I really doubt he's gonna try for another serialization after this.)
    It is up to the author. If he thinks he can't work Kochikame, then he'll. If not, then he'll continue. Everything up to the author, but the age doesn't really matter now.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Jump SQ. March Issue Color Pages:
    Shin Tennis no Oujisama

Tomodachi Inai Doumei (One Shot)

Emma-chan to Boku (SQ. Next Cup Entry #2)

7th Garden

Hetalia World☆Stars (Special Chapter)

Salaryman Exorcist Okumura Yukio no Aishuu (Special Chapter)

It is up to the author. If he thinks he can't work Kochikame, then he'll. If not, then he'll continue. Everything up to the author, but the age doesn't really matter now.
    But I'm not saying it's not up to him.

I'm saying next year would be a good year to stop since he's at retirement age and it's on a 10-year milestone and it has Isobe Isobee to replace it as Jump's seemingly never-ending gag manga.

But I'm not saying it's not up to him.

I'm saying next year would be a good year to stop since he's at retirement age and it's on a 10-year milestone and it has Isobe Isobee to replace it as Jump's seemingly never-ending gag manga.
    They don't have such thing as 10-year milestone in Jump, everything is up to him. Plus, Isobe didn't replace anything. If you don't know, Jump already had two series which were also put into last place as fixed position. Isobe isn't first ever thing this happens. So, don't surprise about this being a first time or something.

They don't have such thing as 10-year milestone in Jump, everything is up to him.
    They celebrated Kochikame's 30th anniversary too, as well as OP and Naruto's 10th anniversaries.

Plus, Isobe didn't replace anything. If you don't know, Jump already had two series which were also put into last place as fixed position. Isobe isn't first ever thing this happens. So, don't surprise about this being a first time or something.
    I'm not saying Isobe has replaced anything or that it's the first time there's been a manga fixed in last place, though. I'm saying it would be a good manga to take up the gauntlet of never-ending gag manga when Kochikame ends.

They celebrated Kochikame's 30th anniversary too, as well as OP and Naruto's 10th anniversaries.
    Yeah, I know. What I mean is that 10 milestone doesn't lead to end of the series; it is just anniversary.

I'm not saying Isobe has replaced anything or that it's the first time there's been a manga fixed in last place, though. I'm saying it would be a good manga to take up the gauntlet of never-ending gag manga when Kochikame ends.
    There are plenty of gag manga which have theme of never-ending gag manga, like Saiki Kusuo. So, I don't see Isobe going to be something special.

Yeah, I know. What I mean is that 10 milestone doesn't lead to end of the series; it is just anniversary.
    I know, but milestones are a nice time to do so.

There are plenty of gag manga which have theme of never-ending gag manga, like Saiki Kusuo. So, I don't see Isobe going to be something special.
    Saiki Kusuo could also take it I guess, but it felt more like Sket Dance based on what I've read so far (though I admit, I haven't read much).

Isobe just seems like a manga that could keep going and going without having to have an ending. No need to get your panties in a twist over it.

Here is my thought about first chapter of Kagamigami:

Well, the artwork (or the character design) has changed from the one shot/previous work. I always had a feeling that Iwashiro's artwork is kind of for 80s style since Mieru Hito. So, I kind of had awkward feeling for the one shot version as well since it also had 80s style artwork. However, Iwashiro has changed artwork (character design) into more of modern day. So, I wonder if he'll manage to keep doing this or not.

Also, there are two things which I wasn't happy about. Firstly, I think there is too much explanation in the first chapter, such as shikigami explanation. It is kind of weird about Kagami explains all of shikigami stuff to Miyoshi and she takes all of those supernatural explanation (it kind of reminds in cops in detective manga for explaining every details to civilians). But, maybe Miyoshi believes all of those shikigami explanation since she also has some kind of power. But, I still think there is too much explanation. Secondly, the design for transformation version of Kagami reminds me Kamisama Hajimemashita and Gugure! Kokkuri-san. I wish it to have more distinctive design.

However, overall, it was enjoyable first chapter.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information