+ Reply to Thread
Page 483 of 843 FirstFirst ... 383 433 473 481 482 483 484 485 493 533 583 ... LastLast
Results 9,641 to 9,660 of 16860

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: General Shueisha TOC and News

The mangaka for a Peach Pluck and Garden reminds me of an early Hiroyuki Takei. His characters are pretty expressive and his designs are pretty enjoyable to me. Peach Pluck wouldn't in today's Jump. Garden has some more serializarion potential but still needs some more polish and concepts. To me it is a wildcard. I will definitely be anticipating his future work.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuzzcocks View Post
    The mangaka for a Peach Pluck and Garden reminds me of an early Hiroyuki Takei. His characters are pretty expressive and his designs are pretty enjoyable to me. Peach Pluck wouldn't in today's Jump. Garden has some more serializarion potential but still needs some more polish and concepts. To me it is a wildcard. I will definitely be anticipating his future work.
    I agree on that part. It needs more polish, but I think that one shot is definitely has more potential than Peach Pluck.

Quote Originally Posted by gordanham View Post
    A part of me is just waiting till a company just does the manga buffet system perfect. I really love Crunchyroll's selection, I read like everything, but they need to flip it and do what they did with anime; everything should be free but the most recent chapter. And then they need to work out something to get the back catalog for those major series like Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail. I get why they can't and why those involved are afraid to, but I just wanted to get it off my chest that I honestly believe in that whole, "The manga industry is like 7 years behind the anime industry(in America)," thing.They can do whatever they want with their properties, but if everyone just reads everything for free and legally buffet style on Crunchyroll in 5 years, I won't be surprised in the slightest.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah. Crunchyroll. Streaming. Basically streamlined the entire translation and subtitles encoding industry. They push them translations out like nothing now en masse. Once a legit company does that for manga with the right system, I donít think them penny-translating a series like Gintama would be that surprising at all.
    Except they still wouldn't be able to handle the biggest problem: illegal scans getting the material a week ahead of time, and people believing that the official product is lagging behind.

Jump seems to be trying to work on the leak problem.

The gap between the scanlations and the official release is now four days. It's a step, but hopefully, the gap will start to dwindle as the crackdown effort increases.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Jump seems to be trying to work on the leak problem.

The gap between the scanlations and the official release is now four days. It's a step, but hopefully, the gap will start to dwindle as the crackdown effort increases.
    They can really only do so much as long as it remains a physical distribution system, since in order to get it out everywhere at release it needs to arrive at some places early. Only way it could ever really be stopped is a full switch to digital

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Yeah either that or digital first, physical magazine later, but that is not going to happen any time soon, cause they would loose a lot of money if they do that.

Yeah. It is an understatement to say the leak problems are substantial. But, even if they can't be completely eliminated, I think it could still work if a company gets a quality library and backcatalogue. Just like whiners who complain about the more accurate official translations when they buy a volume after reading hundreds of chapters illegally that have all kinds of nonsense translations they have gotten attached to, readers who read the series backcatalogue on a legit site would get attached to that translation and reading environment. There are still a ton of free users on crunchyroll who wait a week for episodes just because Crunchyroll is the site they like to interact with.

There is also the aspect of basically disheartening scanlators. Crunchyroll's quick releases have basically convinced a lot of fansubbers to just pack it up and just release rips of crunchyroll streams for shows. Why put so much work into something that is gonna be made available in superior quality in the span of moments in internet time?

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

Crunchyroll is good progress in discouraging scanlators, so that's great, but I do wonder how well it works as a financial model for both the site and the works available there for free.

i personally would pay for an equivalent of what anime has for manga (if the price is reasonable, not the joke of Naruto French simultrad) and continue to read scan as spoilers anyway.

welp, you had me till that last bit, at least. I don't think any model's going to seem fair enough to people whilst they still insist on reading the illegal release. Which... is probably cynical of me. But it's like... having stuff available for free makes people believe that they deserve it for free. So even if a few are willing to have it all, both read illegally and pay down, it's unlikely that those people will be anything other than a minority.

This Week's Jump Comic Sales:

01. Naruto #71 (590,855 / 626,418)
    02. Shokugeki no Souma #10 (197,351)
    03. Toriko #32 (180,085)
    07. Boku no Hero Academia #1 (71,575)
    09. Naruto Hiden Jin no Sho Character Official Databook (59,664)
    13. Soul Catcher(S) #7 (41,257)
    31. Kono Oto Tomare! #7 (28,998)
    32. Hinomaru Zumou #2 (28,864)
    35. Captain Tsubasa Rising Sun #2 (26,801)
    37. Illegal Rare #4 (26,170)
    45. Jojolion #8 (23,151 / 347,756)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy B View Post
    welp, you had me till that last bit, at least. I don't think any model's going to seem fair enough to people whilst they still insist on reading the illegal release. Which... is probably cynical of me. But it's like... having stuff available for free makes people believe that they deserve it for free. So even if a few are willing to have it all, both read illegally and pay down, it's unlikely that those people will be anything other than a minority.
    Well given thant the manga i would own without scanlation would be around zero, i have not your negative view wrt piracy. There have been some studies that have shown that those who pirate the most cultural goods were also among the biggest legal consumer. I’mpretty sure that if Seven Deadly Sins had his volumes in the top 10 month French sales right from the start, it is because of his already great success among scan readers. The popularity of manga is partly thanks to the scan and a large number of those who don’t pay wouldn’t have paid anyway if scan didn’t exist.

If I lived in Japan, with a magazine for 2,5 dollars per week and in every near store, then I would buy it every week. I would still read the scanlation earlier, but only of the titles I am really into, like One Piece. I would also buy the volumes of the titles that I really love.

While scanlations are great and free, they aren't really the same thing as a physical format. I love a lot more reading in physical format than in the screen, maybe I'm the exception, but even books like Harry Potter when I found a computer format I preferred to read it physical.

Now manga here in my country is a really problem to get them in physical format, but even still I buy some of them, but mainly One Piece :P

The fact that IR is there is so funny that I can't even laugh.
    Also, was expecting 6 digits to Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Well given thant the manga i would own without scanlation would be around zero, i have not your negative view wrt piracy. There have been some studies that have shown that those who pirate the most cultural goods were also among the biggest legal consumer. I’mpretty sure that if Seven Deadly Sins had his volumes in the top 10 month French sales right from the start, it is because of his already great success among scan readers. The popularity of manga is partly thanks to the scan and a large number of those who don’t pay wouldn’t have paid anyway if scan didn’t exist.
    There's a good argument there for scanlations being responsible for discovering what manga you want to own. I'm not gonna lie and say that back when I pirated I wasn't influenced to buy stuff by it. I think it's the scope of the thing that's the issue. It being there for early spoilers, it preceding the legal release, it being more than a few chapters of any given work.... If reduced to a certain level, like... Ooh, I don't know, it only ever being the first volume, that'd be a great teaser system. It's when people continue to consume into the double digits of chapters, into the 100s, 200s, et cetera et cetera, that the argument of it being a good influence lessens *dramatically*.

Also "those who don't pay wouldn't have paid anyway if the scan didn't exist" is remarkably close to the argument that "those who don't pay won't pay anyway", so I'm gonna side-eye that a bit.

The big question there (at least as far as I see it) is if they can manage to get the cost scaling to a proper place where they can hire pros to do it, at least for the important properties. Last I heard, most of the CR-exclusive manga is paying starving student rates, which basically just guarantees that they will only ever have scanlation-level quality. Sure, some of the people willing to work for pennies will actually be good, but they're not going to stick around if the industry as a whole can't support a living wage.

A question just for fun: if one piece were to end, let's say 3 months from now. Would you wait till the official version came out, or go ahead and read the final chapter on the faster scanalation sites albeit in questionable quality?

Quote Originally Posted by ARC-1300 View Post
    A question just for fun: if one piece were to end, let's say 3 months from now. Would you wait till the official version came out, or go ahead and read the final chapter on the faster scanalation sites albeit in questionable quality?
    I will wait for the official version, but will probs get spoiled at some point.

3DS Friend Code: 3196 - 6799 - 6143

Meh, it would mostly likely be an epilogue chapter, so I wouldn't mind being spoiled.
    I still not get it why 3 months.

I would literally have to go on a media blackout for four days, which isn't possible for me.

I'd opt for the scanlation (that isn't ShitPanda's) and then re-read the official translation.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information