+ Reply to Thread
Page 373 of 844 FirstFirst ... 273 323 363 371 372 373 374 375 383 423 473 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,460 of 16867

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Quote Originally Posted by Zangetsukakashi View Post
    that's just a personal opinion too. and plus, if we go but what u're saying, still, this couldn't have been felt from the first chapter or so to get it that high up.
    Do you want me to back it up, perhaps? This is not a mere personal opinion, this is an easily discussable fact. All you have to do is take the characters you want to compare, count the written moments of character introspection and the overall examination of the emotions of a human being that in a written work happens through the characters, count the linked moments of character development that further affects the storyline, and analyze their effects.

As someone who has read both Souma and all of those series I mentioned there, I can safely say that there is a lot more of that in Souma than there is in any other manga that I mentioned there, and it has been there from the very first chapters.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizou 10 View Post
    Hmmmmm, it sounds like that you think Souma is ecchi-crazy series like To Love-Ru.

I suggest maybe you should try actually read the series rather than making the biased opinion with just impression.
    no no. i know to-love ru is like 80% through what hentai is.
    i dunno, but tell me, is it like fairy tail's level of fanservice? cause if it is, then it's really hard for me to just read and ignore the pervy parts. the thing i hate the most about mangas is wasted potential. if something has a great story, but has all those fanservice stuff thrown in, for me, personally, it becomes a real shame.

i dunno, but tell me, is it like fairy tail's level of fanservice? cause if it is, then it's really hard for me to just read and ignore the pervy parts. the thing i hate the most about mangas is wasted potential. if something has a great story, but has all those fanservice stuff thrown in, for me, personally, it becomes a real shame.
    From your personal view, is fanservice about the girls appear with naked or the girls get aroused with wearing the cloth?

Quote Originally Posted by Toraish View Post
    Do you want me to back it up, perhaps? This is not a mere personal opinion, this is an easily discussable fact. All you have to do is take the characters you want to compare, count the written moments of character introspection and the overall examination of the emotions of a human being that in a written work happens through the characters, count the linked moments of character development that further affects the storyline, and analyze their effects.

As someone who has read both Souma and all of those series I mentioned there, I can safely say that there is a lot more of that in Souma than there is in any other manga that I mentioned there, and it has been there from the very first chapters.
    introspection, emotions, linked developments, etc... ... ... sorry bro, but for me, all those can never ever be felt from the first chapter. and also, and that's my biggest concern, not everyone thinks that way. we aren't in an english literature exam where u have to analyze the depth of the character using introspection and human being emotions. i'm in the normal-thinking group, bro... and i can take "loving the character cause he's enjoyable to watch as it goes on, and that he's cool and stuff". but this is not something to be discussed, imo.

From your personal view, is fanservice about the girls appear with naked or the girls get aroused with wearing the cloth?
    lolz. both. but if it's just a scene or 2, i can just ignore them and skip through, but if it's continuous (fairy tail), then it's really hard to skip.

It's not just thrown in. It's not there to drag anything down. There's nothing wasted it actually adds to the series.
    It's not like in Kenichi where you can't help but roll your eyes with how obtrusive some of the stuff is.
    The "fanservice" as you call it is a staple visual gag of the series. It adds to the humor and general tone of the series.

It's very much how all the gratuitous sex scenes in game of thrones aren't just there to give out boners. It's there to establish tone.
    What those shots accomplish in Soma is give the food they're tasting easy to understand visual feedback/impact, it's humorous and rather creative at times.
    It's a really good gimmick and I'm one of the people that got a bit bored of the overuse of just erotic tastegasm shots(around chapter 20 or something I think).
    He's been trying to mix it up since.

Someone should line up all the tastegasm shots of the series and people should vote how titillating those actually are on a scale of 1-10.
    Results might surprise. Magical cabbage "girls" should be pretty fun.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; January 2nd, 2014 at 07:40 AM.

lolz. both. but if it's just a scene or 2, i can just ignore them and skip through, but if it's continuous (fairy tail), then it's really hard to skip.
    No, it is like just one or two scenes where the characters eat the food. Plus, Souma does focused more on ecchi-stuff at beginning, but it starts to focus on the parody-stuff as the story goes. For example, like this:

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Kaizou 10; January 2nd, 2014 at 07:40 AM.

the different is fairy tail's made by hentai artist wannabe and doesn't have the story writer, while Shokugeki no Soma have the story writer and have ero-mangaka(?) artist for the drawing, so the fanservice didn't do much impact for the story.

introspection, emotions, linked developments, etc... ... ... sorry bro, but for me, all those can never ever be felt from the first chapter. and also, and that's my biggest concern, not everyone thinks that way. we aren't in an english literature exam where u have to analyze the depth of the character using introspection and human being emotions. i'm in the normal-thinking group, bro... and i can take "loving the character cause he's enjoyable to watch as it goes on, and that he's cool and stuff". but this is not something to be discussed, imo.
    All that means is that you, personally, don't observe all the things that makes a character or a story enjoyable to you. It doesn't mean that they don't exist. The same can be said about a morning when you wake up, take a cup of coffee or fruit juice or whatever you prefer to drink, go outside and enjoy a warm sunny morning when the air feels nice and birds are singing. It feels good, and the fact that it is good makes you happy. But take away the singing of the birds, the sunshine, and the drink, and it suddenly gets pretty forgettable because the things that could make it good aren't there.

Say, on the basis of the first chapter, did you get at all excited or interested in Souma's story when you saw him compete against his father, the restaurant's owner, and swear that he would beat him one day? Or did he seem cool to you when he managed to scrape together enough ingredients from the destroyed larder to rise up to the challenge and make a meal that appeased the people that wanted to buy them out? He sure did to me. And you know what, that's exactly the depth that I'm talking about here. I don't mean Nausicaš style contemplation on humanity and nihilism, or even Vagabond's level of profound self-examination - what I mean that Souma has an awful lot of things that make it seem cool. Right now, I would say it's the coolest manga on Jump.

It's just easier to use more concrete terminology when you're trying to make a point because it's more precise. :P
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

@DarthAsthma: lolz....... u're just confirming my bias even more :) btw, how much would u love soma if it didn't have pervy stuff?

@Kaizou 10: hmm. u know what i would like? if someone made a censored version of the manga up to the point where he lessened the fanservice. i dunno... maybe an anime would lessen it? no idea.

I don't mean Nausicaš style contemplation on humanity and nihilism
    While the whole conversation has been entertaining to read so far, this particular sentence piqued my interest the most. Now I'm off to find that movie/series/manga/whatever. Have a good day, Mr. Bird.

@DarthAsthma: lolz....... u're just confirming my bias even more :) btw, how much would u love soma if it didn't have pervy stuff?
    Jesus... whatever dude be happy in your palace of pureness looking down on us "perverts"?
    I'm out cause when I've learned anything on this forum then it's recognizing early enough when a discussion will go nowhere.

Most apparent sign is always when people don't seem to read what you write carefully and suddenly have this whole other picture in their head of what your position is than what should be reflected in what was written.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    While the whole conversation has been entertaining to read so far, this particular sentence piqued my interest the most. Now I'm off to find that movie/series/manga/whatever. Have a good day, Mr. Bird.
    Read the manga, the movie only really covers the first quarter of it and makes some pretty drastic changes to what it is supposed to be like. It's pretty to look at, but it's not much else than a hollow shell of what the comic itself was and was meant to be.

If you except the recent special chapter, Souma fanservice is almost negligeable (unless you call big breast fanservice). Only the reactions are dedicated to fanservice and now 9 out of 10 are just cute drawings. Last chapter was especially funny on that matter. You have the girl like that
    Spoiler:

so you wonder. Oh my god what kind of pervy reaction she will have ? And this is what you've got :
    Spoiler:

All that means is that you, personally, don't observe all the things that makes a character or a story enjoyable to you. It doesn't mean that they don't exist. The same can be said about a morning when you wake up, take a cup of coffee or fruit juice or whatever you prefer to drink, go outside and enjoy a warm sunny morning when the air feels nice and birds are singing. It feels good, and the fact that it is good makes you happy. But take away the singing of the birds, the sunshine, and the drink, and it suddenly gets pretty forgettable because the things that could make it good aren't there.

Say, on the basis of the first chapter, did you get at all excited or interested in Souma's story when you saw him compete against his father, the restaurant's owner, and swear that he would beat him one day? Or did he seem cool to you when he managed to scrape together enough ingredients from the destroyed larder to rise up to the challenge and make a meal that appeased the people that wanted to buy them out? He sure did to me. And you know what, that's exactly the depth that I'm talking about here. I don't mean Nausicaš style contemplation on humanity and nihilism, or even Vagabond's level of profound self-examination - what I mean that Souma has an awful lot of things that make it seem cool. Right now, I would say it's the coolest manga on Jump.

It's just easier to use more concrete terminology when you're trying to make a point because it's more precise. :P
    ya, but i mean that this stuff shouldn't be counted. i mean, when i tried the first few chapters, ignoring the perv, soma looked like a cool dude. enjoyable. if i recall correctly, that depth u're talking about wasn't obvious. he was just enjoyable. and i could say the same for naruto, ichigo, & luffy, where the first chaps showed them initially to have the same coolness as soma (here it's about opinions though). a naruto fan (i'm not one anymore) can tell u the first chapter showed how naruto was shunned, how cool he was promising to become hokage, how emotional it was between him and iruka, etc... u can't feel all that from the beginning, and u can't convince me the japanese who voted had the same thought u had while reading, and not just my opinion (cool and enjoyable).

lolz. ya, i get u. sorry about that. i didn't mean any offense. i'm just bad with terminology like that.

@Kaizou 10: hmm. u know what i would like? if someone made a censored version of the manga up to the point where he lessened the fanservice. i dunno... maybe an anime would lessen it? no idea.
    That means you think that image is like service scene or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Jesus... whatever dude be happy in your palace of pureness looking down on us "perverts"?
    I'm out cause when I've learned anything on this forum then it's recognizing early enough when a discussion will go nowhere.
    Most apparent sign is always when people don't seem to read what you write carefully and suddenly have this whole other picture in their head of what your position is than what should be reflected in what was written.
    i'm really sorry if i seemed offensive, pal. it's not that the discussion is going nowhere, it's just that u're trying to convince me to just enjoy the fanservice, which i can't. but the discussion IS going somewhere, as the guys here r trying to tell me that it's not as pervy as people make it out to be. again, sorry, man.

That means you think that image is like service scene or something?
    the pic u posted was normal.

ya, but i mean that this stuff shouldn't be counted. i mean, when i tried the first few chapters, ignoring the perv, soma looked like a cool dude. enjoyable. if i recall correctly, that depth u're talking about wasn't obvious. he was just enjoyable. and i could say the same for naruto, ichigo, & luffy, where the first chaps showed them initially to have the same coolness as soma (here it's about opinions though). a naruto fan (i'm not one anymore) can tell u the first chapter showed how naruto was shunned, how cool he was promising to become hokage, how emotional it was between him and iruka, etc... u can't feel all that from the beginning, and u can't convince me the japanese who voted had the same thought u had while reading, and not just my opinion (cool and enjoyable).
    Well, yeah, the very same thing can be said about Luffy and Naruto, for sure. A bit less for Ichigo because he was just a random school kid, but it was still there with the scene of how he defended that one guy who was assaulted by his bullies. The thing with my comparisons to all of those series is just that most of them stopped doing that after a certain point and got really boring, while others like Souma and One Piece haven't stopped and continuously feel better as a result. Obviously you couldn't tell and still can't tell whether Souma will be stellar from the beginning to the end, but you could tell that it was really cool and that it was probably going to be like that.

As I said, that kind of depth is always there and it will make you feel good regardless of whether you notice the depth itself or not. It's just a hobby for us people who have been into the whole thing a bit longer to delve deeper and to try to understand what makes things so cool. You're definitely right in saying that most Japanese voters didn't think of it like I do because, honestly, very few people do, but they evidently thought it was really cool because it got so many votes.

And if it's ultimately depth that makes things cool, whether you know it or not, well... then it had depth.

i'm really sorry if i seemed offensive, pal. it's not that the discussion is going nowhere, it's just that u're trying to convince me to just enjoy the fanservice, which i can't. but the discussion IS going somewhere, as the guys here r trying to tell me that it's not as pervy as people make it out to be. again, sorry, man.
    Lol. No just no...
    Nope that isn't at all what I'm saying. I'm sorry if this was me from 2 years back I might actually try to get my point across better in another post but I haven't seen much success with that so I won't bother. You're open to read again and ask specific questions to parts you're not sure about I will answer those.
    ----------------------------------------------
    On a side note, you read the first 2 chapters of Soma, then you read the first 2 chapters of Nisekoi, Akaboshi, etc(too many series I don't remember.)
    If you read a lot it's rather easy to see that Soma is more than it might seem. The way it introduces its characters and uses them without getting technical it feels confident in its setup and story which gives confidence to readers that it's worth their time.

Compare to that combat shonen number x that got cancelled, still not knowing after 10 chapters of where it wants to go.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; January 2nd, 2014 at 08:38 AM.

the pic u posted was normal.
    I think you may give a try. As I said, Souma isn't ecchi crazy series and it only has about 1 or 2 scenes of perverted scenes (your definition); so, even you skipped the ecchi part, it'll not going to affect the story much.

Plus, Souma is really good series; I'll recommend it.

lolz. ya, i get u. sorry about that. i didn't mean any offense. i'm just bad with terminology like that.
    I'd recommend reading Souma for your self, really. What the Japanese voters think shouldn't have any bearing on how much you enjoy a manga.
    If the fanservice distracts you, just flip the pages quickly. They aren't that frequent, and the only thing you'll lose from it is the impact of the food's taste, but the story and characters should still be immensely enjoyable.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information