+ Reply to Thread
Page 370 of 844 FirstFirst ... 270 320 360 368 369 370 371 372 380 420 470 ... LastLast
Results 7,381 to 7,400 of 16867

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

I think Haikyuu has some of the best art in Jump by far. It's really nice.

It's also a fun sports manga with a great cast. One of my favourites currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Shigan View Post
    I think Haikyuu has some of the best art in Jump by far. It's really nice.
    I really wouldn't say. Just compare this:

Spoiler:

to this:
    Spoiler:

That's obviously exaggerating it a little because I'm contrasting a normal training scene to a purposely strong climax of a chapter, but that's what the art is like most of the time. Of course it gets better and more impressive when the mood suddenly changes into a more serious one, which I think is one of the greatest things and a definite strength of the manga as a work of that medium, but the art is pretty much that crude most of the time and might very well put some people off.

I know I was a bit weirded out by it at the start, but I've always been the type to get over bad art if the story in it is compelling enough. Although, only to a certain point. I can't for the life of me bring myself to read any of Osamu Tezuka's manga because the art style is just atrocious to my eyes.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

Here are the covers for Jump SQ. series, as well:

Tegami Bachi Volume 17

Owari no Seraph Volume 4

Te to Kuchi Volume 2

Quote Originally Posted by Toraish View Post
    I really wouldn't say. Just compare this:

to this:

That's obviously exaggerating it a little because I'm contrasting a normal training scene to a purposely strong climax of a chapter, but that's what the art is like most of the time. Of course it gets better and more impressive when the mood suddenly changes into a more serious one, which I think is one of the greatest things and a definite strength of the manga as a work of that medium, but the art is pretty much that crude most of the time and might very well put some people off.

I know I was a bit weirded out by it at the start, but I've always been the type to get over bad art if the story in it is compelling enough. Although, only to a certain point. I can't for the life of me bring myself to read any of Osamu Tezuka's manga because the art style is just atrocious to my eyes.
    Tbh, I think the first example looks pretty good and on the other hand the I don't really like the art style of the second manga (I think it's Souma), so I don't see the problem. But it's not the first time I've heard people call Haikyuu's art bad, so maybe it's just my weird preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Shigan View Post
    Tbh, I think the first example looks pretty good and on the other hand the I don't really like the art style of the second manga (I think it's Souma), so I don't see the problem. But it's not the first time I've heard people call Haikyuu's art bad, so maybe it's just my weird preference.
    I think it depends on people's taste; some say they like Haikyuu's art and other say that Souma's art is a best.

For me, I think both of them are really good and both of them have different taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizou 10 View Post
    I think it depends on people's taste; some say they like Haikyuu's art and other say that Souma's art is a best.

For me, I think both of them are really good and both of them have different taste.
    I just love how energetic and unique the characters in HQ are drawn, whereas Souma to me looks like the "generic anime style," if that's even a thing, and I've never understood its appeal even though it's very popular.

Nah, it's not "bad" per se, I wouldn't ever classify it as such, but it's definitely very, very crude at times.

Furudate's style with most of his human characters is to draw them anatomically distorted when they are in motion just to emphasize the feeling of speed and strength, and that's only not present when things get really serious. The other thing that I think can be hard for some to swallow is that his character drawing quality drops a lot when he's drawing casual scenes for entertainment, sometimes almost to the level of Togashi's scribbles. It's just harder to spot because the surroundings look pretty good regardless of the situation. Admittedly, that's something that most mangaka do because it's so much easier for them, but I think in Haikyuu's case it's stronger than it normally is.

I think that's actually very refreshing now that I've gotten used to it because it feels somehow exotic and different from everything else while not being hard to look at. But I can imagine a lot of people not liking it.

And I'm honestly really surprised how you can dislike Soma's art style. It's so detailed and vivid that I would probably name it the best and most pleasing to look at in Jump. But to each their own, I guess.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

That pic Toraish posted does look a lot better from what I remember trying to get into Haikyuu(I failed to do so I think I read the first 10 chapters or so).
    But yeah I remember strongly how anatomically distorted even considering his style stuff looked.
    It's not a deal breaker per se but it really grates me. One of the reason I didn't keep up with Shingeki no Kyoujin(thank god for the anime).

The funny thing is that the page I posted was from chapter 7 of Haikyuu, and the art has only gotten better from that point on. So we really shouldn't judge a new manga by its art in the first, say, twenty-five chapters. It's a thing that we keep coming back to time and time again, but never seem to learn. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Toraish View Post
    The funny thing is that the page I posted was from chapter 7 of Haikyuu, and the art has only gotten better from that point on. So we really shouldn't judge a new manga by its art in the first, say, twenty-five chapters. It's a thing that we keep coming back to time and time again, but never seem to learn. :P
    Jesus that doesn't seem right with my memory, I guess I must have also gleaned through terrible raw scans worsening the impression it left. I should give it another try I guess.

Yomiuri Shinbun (Japan's newspaper) made a collaboration with Shounen Jump to celebrate the new year.

^
    what do those characters saying..?
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Maybe find a pick of Ichigo where he's not bleeding and looking like he wants to wear your scalp and be called Martha Washington ?

Quote Originally Posted by auem View Post
    ^
    The characters are saying their catchy phrases.

The characters are saying their catchy phrases.
    Wait, Ichigo has a catch phrase ?

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post
    Wait, Ichigo has a catch phrase ?
    Well, it looks like (but, I can't read becasue it is too small ).

Quote Originally Posted by auem View Post
    ^
    Their dreams.

The message is, "Speaking out your dreams is strength"
    By actually expressing your dream out loud, you strengthen it and the determination to make it happen.

That sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Their dreams.

The message is, "Speaking out your dreams is strength"
    By actually expressing your dream out loud, you strengthen it and the determination to make it happen.

That sort of thing.
    Well, their dreams are kind of like their catchy phrases as well.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also, speaking of dreams, does anyone know what Ichigo dream is?

Like Luffy wants to become pirate king and Naruto wants to become Hokake; but, I believe Ichigo hasn't really say what he wants to become.

Well, their dreams are kind of like their catchy phrases as well.

Also, speaking of dreams, does anyone know what Ichigo dream is?

Like Luffy wants to become pirate king and Naruto wants to become Hokake; but, I believe Ichigo hasn't really say what he wants to become.
    Wasn't Ichogos dream to be strong enough to protect his friends? I'm not sure, I have dropped Bleach long time ago.

I need a sig

I believe Ichigo hasn't really say what he wants to become.
    Isn't it obvious? A real character!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information