+ Reply to Thread
Page 368 of 844 FirstFirst ... 268 318 358 366 367 368 369 370 378 418 468 ... LastLast
Results 7,341 to 7,360 of 16874

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy B View Post
    It's just.... man. For one it's a one-shot in a shonen competition with copious swearing in (save one instance where, bewilderingly, it's censored), which is just a big no-no for me,representing that loathsome shite scanlators sneak into their releases.
    Complaining about swearing and then swearing? I sense irony lol.

The art itself isn't bad, but resembles the lesser releases Tokyopop flooded the market in when they were after cheap licenses. It works, but it's by no means good. The writing itself is harder to criticise, seeing as the author clearly isn't entirely fluent in the language he's using, but by and large it didn't work for me on a personal level, which I think was like the last straw that made me go from not thinking it was very good to just straight out hating it.
    It's stupid for me to care so much, but when the other 5 were so worthwhile it just bums me out to have sunk time into reading Morning Star. All that said, the author clearly has huge potential under all the junk.
    Your reading experience seems to be plagued by memories of other bad manga. The art was quite rough, but like you yourself said, there is potential. For me, more potential than everyone else. I didn't know they submitted it in english, I thought it was translated. If you hate it on a personal level, then it's really just your opinion. Sorry for my two cents.
    You really liked Sweat Man more than Morning Star?

I think Boom in a good editor's hand can really go places. It reminds me of the Dominion by Shirow, and some of the Patlabor series.

Sweatman is just silly with poor character building.
    Katana cowgirl has the most compact art and story and I think that it is the best entry but Boom may work better
    Morning Star reads too much like Sinbad :O . The art is pretty good esp the backgrounds.
    Golden Rabbit is light hearted, ok for a short story
    Team before daybreak, I dont get to feel the character. Good idea though, reminds me a lot of a recurring character in the Sandman series. The immortals and their loneliness being the theme.

I voted for boom for some originality, fun, and potential

how many of you sent your works.?..i remember few members saying that they will enter in the competition...
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Quote Originally Posted by auem View Post
    how many of you sent your works.?..i remember few members saying that they will enter in the competition...
    All of the one's complaining about how bad the finalists were.

I didn't like any of them.

Now that I think more about it, samurai cowgirl makes even less sense. The sword is just there to remind us it's supposed to be a manga. Even with the whole "eagle eye" thing, it still doesn't add up. Having good eyesight doesn't equate to superhuman reflexes. And good eyesight would lean even more towards guns.

Oh and her name is "Elizabeth Kitakaze Eastwood"

Is this the first year APforums isn't having a Jump Festa thread?

Jump Festa hardly churns out important manga infos....few people hype it just because they attend and watch Oda and VAs are interacting...
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Fiction View Post
    Is this the first year APforums isn't having a Jump Festa thread?
    The One Piece Podcast will cover the event on the podcast tomorrow. If you want a JF thread though (for One Piece), I'd say go for it and make one in the One Piece section, or maybe just a general one to cover all the news from Jump Fiesta in the manga/anime thread and post any news from the event that people are willing to gather.

That said, the OPP panel did just finish recently. Looking at the OPP's twitter, it seems that Oda said that the "Big Player" that was teased last year and was supposed to make a major move didn't show up yet and that the big player will most likely show up the following year *knocks on wood*. And there will be bigger boobs. There's probably other juicy news/stories related to One Piece, but there tends to only be one major tidbit teased about the upcoming manga story at the JF panel IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

I thought Aokiji and DD were the big players since they appeared only a few chapters after the JF last year, hmm

A bit disappointed by the lack of news, but it's my own fault for getting my hopes up.

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary View Post
    Complaining about swearing and then swearing? I sense irony lol.

Your reading experience seems to be plagued by memories of other bad manga. The art was quite rough, but like you yourself said, there is potential. For me, more potential than everyone else. I didn't know they submitted it in english, I thought it was translated. If you hate it on a personal level, then it's really just your opinion. Sorry for my two cents.
    You really liked Sweat Man more than Morning Star?
    Believe it or not, I am not a shonen comic. I can swear in this instance without it being irony (though if you want an example of how I hold true, the podcast where I explicitly explore Weekly Shonen Jump titles is deliberately curse-free, to be appropriate to the subject matter).

My experience was mostly plagued by a shit one-shot, but yeah, it is just my opinion. Gonna blow your mind here, all judgement by a singular person is personal. That's a given. Objectively there are probably nicer things I could say about it, sure, but I think even then it wouldn't be very good.

Sweat man though.... Yeah, I liked it more, but I didn't really like it much at all. The concept was strong, the plot itself could have worked, but the execution was poor, the ending didn't really work for me and it felt like there was too much of a dissonance in the art between the protagonist and the... sidekick, i guess i'd call him. Not to mention the slightly worrying gay gag (redeemed slightly by it not being about that as much as that he'd get given too much attention and his sweaty secret would be revealed, which was kinda a funny train of thought). But yeah, importantly, I came away from Sweat Man feeling like I'd gained something from the experience. Morning Star didn't accomplish that.

Also don't apologise for your two cents, it makes for an interesting discussion at the least.

But swearing in shounen is quite common. How does it disqualify this title ?

Adventures of Mr Fuck in Arizona went unnoticed I see

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    But swearing in shounen is quite common. How does it disqualify this title ?
    it doesn't disqualify it, it's just copious enough to be bothersome. And is it really that common in shonen? I can't say I've noticed it much (I recall Sket Dance swearing at least once) outside of scanlations, but then I'm mostly just thinking about recent Jump, so maybe I'm way off the mark. It'd be interesting if I were.

Discovered Stowaway sniperking323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Adventures of Mr Fuck in Arizona went unnoticed I see
    At first, I thought this was an actual title and I wanted to read it. But then I realized that you were talking about Beelzebub

Which by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy B View Post
    it doesn't disqualify it, it's just copious enough to be bothersome. And is it really that common in shonen? I can't say I've noticed it much (I recall Sket Dance swearing at least once) outside of scanlations, but then I'm mostly just thinking about recent Jump, so maybe I'm way off the mark. It'd be interesting if I were.
    Did you miss Chapter 225 of Beelzebub or something???
    Host of Life Lessons: The Gintama Manga Cast!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
    I'm hoping One Piece has a deus ex machina come its ending. I want to see the Thousand Sunny randomly turn into Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann through the power of courage and nakamaship.

I did! I'm not reading the anthology of late, so i've missed out on the whole america arc. Between that and Hiruma in ES21 (if i'm remembering right) I guess there's enough precedent for swearing that I shouldn't mark it down just for having it (but rather because the swearing was just another part of the one-shot's naff writing)

I would think it is as common as a manga about a school delinquent...

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

But maybe I'm biased because I just started Be-Bop Highschool

Interesting things that reveal the number of covers that a series had this year:

One Piece: 8 (3 Because of the movie)
    Toriko: 5
    Kuroko's Basket, Nisekoi, Assassination Classroom and the Group covers (counting the Heroes vs Villians/Rivals/LoveInterest as one): 3
    Soma's Shokugeki, Hayuki (voleyball), Naruto and Gintama (One for the movie): 2
    New Series: The one with the weird old style drawings, Insane Cupid, Hachi, The Youkai Affairs Office, The one about Baseball, The Kenshin Wanabee, Soul Catchers, Edisson and World Trigger: One each on their first chapter
    Old Series: Bleach, Psy, Kochikame, Beelzebub: One
    Special Cases:
    Yako Space patroll: It's technicaly a group one, but I'll count it to him.
    Hunter x Hunter movie: Last time we are sure that Togashi has worked.

I'll go look in the thread my report from last year.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Bonney_AP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Naruto had the mayority of this year's covers, with 6.
    Next: Group shoots, One Piece, Bleach, Toriko, Sket Dance, Medaka Box (counting the half gintama and the 2 different covers of the anime launch with Kuroko's as one full) with 3
    Gintama (see medaka), Kuroko's (see medaka), Bakuman, Belzebub, Psy something something, Nisekoi, AssClass 2
    Kochikame and the rest of the newbies 1
    Got the info. Last year's covers totals.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Sweat Man's author has obviously been playing too much Hakan. And Hakan is hilariously awesome, but that's because he's a husky red Turk in a fighting game, not a Japanese high schooler. D

Golden Rabbit was a cute little one-shot, but I don't think I'd care to read much more of it. C

Morning Star had great art and a good sense of scale and atmosphere. I'd love to read more of it. Didn't notice that it was wordy or profane. B

Boom had some interesting art, but also some ugly art. didn't like the MC's power of "I have bombs that just do whatever". though I'd watch it as an OVA, like Green Leaves. C

Team Before Daybreak was just kinda... eh... in the end he just killed hitler and got it done with? okay. I don't know, it just felt like some wankery over how badass vampires are. D

El Viento del Norte had nice character designs and some poses, but aside from a little yuri it was super generic. with more exploration into other characters/powers, it could be cool. C

Voted for Morning Star, natch. But I think Boom and El Viento have promise as well.

I voted for BOOM. I liked how the author used a very simple idea of catch as the theme. And I think the most important thing is the idea. The art needs a lil bit of improvement but its really good for a one shot. I see a lot of potential in this one-shot.
    We Live In An Age Where Men's Dreams Come True!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information