+ Reply to Thread
Page 345 of 844 FirstFirst ... 245 295 335 343 344 345 346 347 355 395 445 ... LastLast
Results 6,881 to 6,900 of 16862

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Well that explains Ippo's obscene length then.

And also why I will probably not be getting into sports manga anytime soon.
    Last edited by No Maam; September 13th, 2013 at 03:23 PM.

Well I thought that some times ago but after reading a few good titles now I enjoy the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
    My guess is arc fatigue. At least, that's what I was feeling; the last match just felt dragging.

Edit: Quick checking has the most recent match starting in the middle of ch 49 and finishing by the end of ch 68.
    I personally, loved that game, it was so well made, just made me remember Slam Dunk.
    Slam Dunk last game started in chapter 223 and ended in chapter 276 that is 54 chapters of game, and that was the best sport game I ever read, while Haikyu! was only 20 chapters.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post

You have to see the things in this way: Both Sport manga and Battle manga are sub-genres of the same genre "Action", the only thing that distinguishes them is that Sport manga must have rules(Funny is that a lot of Battle manga have arcs with tournaments or with battles with rules, making them basically sport manga) and that in battle manga fights as to exist while in sport is not a must.
    A lot of Sport manga are about real life sports and tournaments, and a lot of battle manga are super-natural and fantasy manga too, but that isn't a must.
    In the end the most important thing is the story, the characters, how the actions are drawn and the emotions put in the actions. For me Slam Dunk, basketball manga, does all this better than most of the supernatural battle manga. So I really recommend that you'll check at least one good sport manga.

About the length of matches, that is not a characteristic of the genre, at all. Haikyuu had 20 chapters and is a sport manga, but Naruto had 51 chapters of Obito against Naruto and is still going. But Naruto isn't a good example, because it seems Kishimoto is dragging more than anything. As other example, One Piece, is hard to say the number of chapters of important fights, given that normally hundreds of things are happening at the same time, but I would say that more than 10 chapters and less than 15 chapters. At the end of One Piece it will not be a surprise if the final fight takes around 50 chapters(but probably not, It seems like Oda doesn't like to make long fights).

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

You have to see the things in this way: Both Sport manga and Battle manga are sub-genres of the same genre "Action", the only thing that distinguishes them is that Sport manga must have rules(Funny is that a lot of Battle manga have arcs with tournaments or with battles with rules, making them basically sport manga) and that in battle manga fights as to exist while in sport is not a must.
    A lot of Sport manga are about real life sports and tournaments, and a lot of battle manga are super-natural and fantasy manga too, but that isn't a must.
    In the end the most important thing is the story, the characters, how the actions are drawn and the emotions put in the actions. For me Slam Dunk, basketball manga, does all this better than most of the supernatural battle manga. So I really recommend that you'll check at least one good sport manga.

About the length of matches, that is not a characteristic of the genre, at all. Haikyuu had 20 chapters and is a sport manga, but Naruto had 51 chapters of Obito against Naruto and is still going. But Naruto isn't a good example, because it seems Kishimoto is dragging more than anything. As other example, One Piece, is hard to say the number of chapters of important fights, given that normally hundreds of things are happening at the same time, but I would say that more than 10 chapters and less than 20 chapters. At the end of One Piece it will not be a surprise if the final fight takes around 50 chapters(but probably not, It seems like Oda doesn't like to make long fights).

We should be getting info on the upcoming Jump Festa event in about a month, right? Around October 10 or so?

For context, matches in Haikyuu prior to that specific one were a lot shorter; single digit number of chapters, IIRC. So while future matches may continue to be that length (or longer), it was out of the norm at the time.

I liked the first chapter of Hachi but I think he tried to fit too much content in one chapter.

From Oberon and Kaze, usual source
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Jump #43 (21/09) :
    Koi no Cupid Yakeno Harajin (Cover & Lead Color Page, New Series, 54 pg.)
    Assassination Classroom
    Shokugeki no Soma
    Hachi (Color Page, 25 pg.)
    Kuroko no Basket (23 pg.)
    Toriko
    Naruto (21 pg.)
    PSI Kusuo Saiki
    Bleach
    Hq!! (Color Page)
    Nisekoi
    World Trigger
    Gintama
    Beelzebub
    Hime Dol!
    Ginga Patrol Jaco (31 pg.)
    Soul Catcher(S)
    Kochikame
    Kurokuroku (First Rank)
    One Piece (Absent)
    Hunter x Hunter (Hiatus)

#44:
    Cover & Lead CP: Kuroko no Basket
    CP: Nisekoi, Koi no Cupid Yakeno Harajin (25 pg.)
    Extra Pages: Hachi (23 pg.), Ginga Patrol Jaco (31 pg.)
    Special Collaboration: Assassination Classroom x Kuroko no Basket

Holy fuck KuroKuroku
    I only read the first chapter, but it sure didn't seem this bad

Dead on arrival..

What? Kurokuroku in last place in his first ranking? :(, I hope Hime dol! does better next week.

Assassination Classroom x Kuroko no basket collaboration next week, cool!

Indiscriminate Grappler Gokuyuske's Avatar

It was nice knowing you Kurokuroku

Just wanted to point out that if HXH were to come back on, that's 6 really popular series in the ranking. Kinda screws the other series over in comparison.

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

kurokuroku was so well-written, it's a shame that it's flopped. One worries for Himedol too, being a series that took so long to get great

HunterxHunter doesn't do well in the ranking anyway so it won't really make a difference

Its rank is similar to Kochikame : low and doesn't care.

Shipmate

It's a shame Kurokuroku did so bad this early. Hard to recover from something like that. I really enjoyed it's humour and the twist on the yokai setting, not to mention the great art. Hopefully Himedol!! will do even worse, but that's doubtful since it actually has moe girls to stay afloat a bit longer.

Hope is wasted on the hopeless, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Leg View Post
    HunterxHunter doesn't do well in the ranking anyway so it won't really make a difference
    Isn't that mostly cause it usually goes on Hiatus before it can get ranked properly for too long ?

Isn't that mostly cause it usually goes on Hiatus before it can get ranked properly for too long ?
    From what I understand it's more like dropping in and out of the magazine's serialization doesn't leave it with many votes from a bunch of confused kids. Or so I understand. Plus I'm sure to some extent people have to be aware that regardless of it's popularity ranking it's going to continue to be serialized because the HxH volumes sell crazy well anyways.

Not to shit on the man, but will Toriyama use these 31 pages to finally do SOMETHING interesting with Jaco?

The premise was mildly interesting, and the main character is quirky enough, but man, talk about a proverbial lack of excitement. I've barely seen other mangas put out 9 entire chapters that ammount to basically nothing like this one. It's not terrible, it's just. . .so unmemorable. So passionless.

For Toriyama's final goodbye to the manga world, this has been so far quite underwhelming. Let's see if the last chapters make up for the first 9. . .

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    Not to shit on the man, but will Toriyama use these 31 pages to finally do SOMETHING interesting with Jaco?

The premise was mildly interesting, and the main character is quirky enough, but man, talk about a proverbial lack of excitement. I've barely seen other mangas put out 9 entire chapters that ammount to basically nothing like this one. It's not terrible, it's just. . .so unmemorable. So passionless.

For Toriyama's final goodbye to the manga world, this has been so far quite underwhelming. Let's see if the last chapters make up for the first 9. . .
    That'll be the last chapter where Toriyama reveals the alien Jaco was talking about is baby goku and absolutely nobody is surprised

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information