+ Reply to Thread
Page 338 of 843 FirstFirst ... 238 288 328 336 337 338 339 340 348 388 438 838 ... LastLast
Results 6,741 to 6,760 of 16860

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Quote Originally Posted by Bigivel View Post
    Just read the first chapter of Himedol and I liked it a lot. I hope is a huge success and not just a temporary series!

Good for Tosh that Soma is being a huge success, bad for him that he have to work a lot. Let's see the Color pages/cover :)
    I hope so too. Really liked the first chapter. Waaaay better than what I have read of Kurokuroko. That series is a mess.
    Here is my list of mangas I have read so far:
    http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Lutzinho

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

My main concern for both series is that they're both good, but by no means great, which is basically a death sentence when Jump's been finding hit upon hit.

In an ideal world both would last long enough to really show what these newbies can do. Sadly, this is so rarely an ideal world. Still, FINGERS CROSSED

I haven't read Kurokuroko, but as cool as the first chapter of Himedol! was, I share a lot of those concerns. It didn't really have anything gripping that makes me want to read more. Hopefully, it'll develop in to something that's interesting.

Kurokuroku has really nice art but it does seem a bit erratic in terms of storytelling and character right now. There's plenty of material to work with when you cover yokai though, so as long as the author can settle down a bit and define the characters better I think it has a chance to succeed.

Not really a fan of Himedol's art or subject matter. Hope it sinks.

Anyone see the manga sales that came out yesterday?
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-21/japanese-comic-ranking-august-12-18

Shingeki volume 11 outsold One Piece 71 last week. :O
    3DS friend code: 1478-4380-6818
    NNID: Luxorcist

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Kurokuroku has really nice art but it does seem a bit erratic in terms of storytelling and character right now. There's plenty of material to work with when you cover yokai though, so as long as the author can settle down a bit and define the characters better I think it has a chance to succeed.

Not really a fan of Himedol's art or subject matter. Hope it sinks.
    I much prefer Kurokuroku's Gintama-like catchball humor than Himedol's dime-a-dozen writing.

The protagonist girl's tsukkomi is Kyon level of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxor View Post
    Shingeki volume 11 outsold One Piece 71 last week. :O
    That OP volume has already been on sale officially for 3 weeks, so its been selling its 2.5 million copies unofficially for a month now. A newer release beating it several weeks in isn't exactly shocking.

Shingeki is barely at a million copies. (I say "barely" as if that's small. That's still pretty damn huge compared to anything but OP.) It's not really outselling it. Actually, a lot of Attack on Titan's volumes are high up in the charts, its gaining a lot of momentum and getting new fans to buy the whole series it seems. Good for it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Agreed. A newer title catching on with a huge audience is most definitely a welcome development for the manga industry as a whole.

September Jump Comics covers

Naruto Vol.66

Gintama Vol.51

Beelzebub Vol.23

Medaka Box Vol.22

Nisekoi Vol.8

PSI Kusuo Saiki Vol.6

Cross Manage Vol.4

Shokugeki no Souma Vol.4

Koisuru Edison Vol.2

World Trigger Vol.2

Soul Catcher(S) Vol.1

Mutou Black First half

Smoky B.B. Vol.1

Nikumi...........
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

kurokuroku 2 first chapters were not really appealling. The way the girl was introduced into this job felt really forced and I still don't know what she needs to do. The police boy is not really interesting. And I don't really know where it wants to go beside the episodic plots. It's sad because I really like yokai manga normally

It's appeal is a manzai-style "kakeai", catchball see-saw of conversation.
    It's funny as fuck in Japanese, but I guess it's completely lost in translation. Not to mention commonly known quirks of youkai being used as a joke probably doesn't translate AT ALL.

It's sort of like how some American stand-up comedians are only funny to Americans and those who are familiar with American culture on daily basis.
    Most humor are not funny because of the actual JOKE, but rather, the nuance of conversation.
    Let's say you take smart ass remarks from Spiderman. The jokes themselves aren't really important, it's HOW it's said and in what timing and context. These are humor based on linguistic nuances local to the language. It's really simple if you dissect funny conversations from any of your favorite comedy and examine.
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; August 24th, 2013 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keleroubing View Post
    Oi blue one, do you see that delicious Nikumi? *-*

The other one I'll be getting- or rather I'll buy the whole batch- is Medaka Box's final volume.

That's one badass cover, CM.

Also, that meat looks delicious, Soma.

Naruto's cover illustrations are being churned off of an assembly line at this point.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Shipmate

I went and read the first five chapters of Kurokuroku and Hime-dol!!

Hime-dol!! is terribly mundane. I have no further expectations of it. Where in the world does one find a technical school with a such ridiculous line-up of departments?

Kurokuroku is pretty fun. Sure, it has a simple premise, and the characters aren't exactly oustanding. But this simplicity makes it work. Usually you see these two main archetypes played by opposite genders, so a reversal is really refreshing here, especially with Chiaki being the one to support her family. The yokai are used well too, in interesting combinations with the modern setting. Come on, a tsukimogami of Ninomiya Kinjirou's statue? That's something I haven't seen before. The art is high quality as well, from yokai designs to Kuroku's magical stick. And the action panels look surprisingly dynamic. Nakamura knows his craft well.

Hopefully its episodic nature won't prevent Kurokuroku from gaining enough support to survive in the early stages. Probably the best newcomer since Soma.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Naruto's cover illustrations are being churned off of an assembly line at this point.
    Yeah, they all look so god damn similar and indistinct that every time I see a new one nowadays I swear I'd seen it before

The Koisuru Edison cover is so reflective of itself.
    The one thing the artist gained in this attempt of serialization is he got infinitely better at drawing cute girls, whilst the actual manga looked terrible to the end.
    So many later chapters of Edison had great cute coverart, only to be followed by disappointingly ugly panels. (and dumb jokes) LOL.

The cover is almost false advertising haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    Oi blue one, do you see that delicious Nikumi? *-*

The other one I'll be getting- or rather I'll buy the whole batch- is Medaka Box's final volume.
    You kidding me? Of course I did.
    I just subscribed to Jump LIVE just so I can read the Nikumi special chapter lol.

Oh and someone was wondering about Matsui x Araki pasta thing, Matsui is drawing a manga about it in LIVE lol.
    I heard One Punch Man is going to have a special something (probably short chapter) in LIVE in the coming month, so good thing I did!

EDIT: oh snap, the OPM one might be today actually, I read on 2ch it's supposed to come out 25th.
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; August 24th, 2013 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade View Post
    Hime-dol!! is terribly mundane. I have no further expectations of it. Where in the world does one find a technical school with a such ridiculous line-up of departments?
    Actually I think that's one of the smarter ideas the author had. It's the Hogwarts model of school design, meant to make the teens reading it think "I wish my school was like that instead!" (see Naruto as well)
    Whether or not you think a trade school with that much variety is actually "exciting," it's at least something you wouldn't find in real life, which is the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    kurokuroku 2 first chapters were not really appealling. The way the girl was introduced into this job felt really forced and I still don't know what she needs to do. The police boy is not really interesting. And I don't really know where it wants to go beside the episodic plots. It's sad because I really like yokai manga normally
    i,for one, find the concept of kurokuroku interesting,reminding me of MIB(just with yokai).the characters seem good to me,albeit somewhat cliche.and the comedy seems okay to good,even though as aohige says some things may be lost in translation.although i don't know about the third chapter.things seem to be somewhat close to romance.hopefully there will be many other things to focus on now.
    the role of the girl doesn't seem forced to me.it seems very clear that she is quite good at clerical and organisational work(which is what they the majority of the time,not fighting monsters.)
    Last edited by sggupta; August 24th, 2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: ridiculous typing error
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information