+ Reply to Thread
Page 336 of 844 FirstFirst ... 236 286 326 334 335 336 337 338 346 386 436 836 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,720 of 16875

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Discovered Stowaway BlackPirate's Avatar

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    I've always wondered how the fuck Togashi supports himself if he only works for two months every three years.
    Moichandising! Moichandising! Where the real money from the manga is made.

Well, not only did he make a fortune enough for a lifetime off Yu Yu Hakusho, he's married to the creator of friggin' Sailor Moon.
    I don't think she'll ever see the end of her royalty checks.

I kind of feel that Cyan was sarcastic there

Speaking of monthly schedules, Kurosaki Kaoru (Watsuki's wife) was a guest at Otakon this past weekend. She hosted a panel on Friday afternoon about Watsuki's life as a mangaka.
    His schedule last month was basically...
    4 days of planning (neru?), 6 days of rough layout, 16 days of inking, then ~5 days of rest.
    Workday was something like...
    Sleep from 4 am to 9 am, eat for 1 hour, work a bunch of hours, eat again for 1 hour, work some more, brief snack time (recently Watsuki's taken a liking to beef jerky), then work again until sleeping at 4.

Also, I think that it's pretty neat that after drawing the layout on a smaller piece of paper, then photocopying larger copies to trace on, he uses a... calligraphy brush? to trace.

I wonder what Togashi's days look like...

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Aren't European style comics like Tintin and Asterix made in big episodic installments? And not a highly detail intensive second to second weekly serial format like the comics in things like Jump?
    So this is a total nonsense comparison?
    Tintin is a comic from the 30's. Asterix is a comic from the 60's. They are not really representative of today european comics. Even the 48 pages is not the only standard anymore. There is as much diversity as for manga or american graphic novels.
    And yes those titles are series not episodic books.

And reading all Tintin has not made you an expert in French comic, it rather proves that you know nothing about it.
    Last edited by Kdom; August 12th, 2013 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    I wonder what Togashi's days look like...
    - wake up next to sailor moon wife
    - delete voice mails from Jump asking him where he is
    - dragon quest
    - go to sleep
    - repeat

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Behold! the 3 works of Umemoto Sachio in Weekly Shonen Jump! I can't find the other 2 that were on WSJ!

Kujira Daigo (One of the first two series of the magazine), Kane (Or Challenger Kane, but the magazine called it just "Kane/Ken") and Makenshi (Magic/Evil/Devil's swordsman, his fifth and final work in the magazine, after 10 years without any series in WJS)

The man had a comic in the magazine from the first issue untill 1970, and had 4 series by himself in it. I'll keep on searching but why someone publishes 4 short series in the magazine, and publish them through other editors instead of Jump Comics?

Once I finish looking through years 2 and 3 (69 and 70) I'll check the covers to see if at least I can point out the characters. But I'm thinking that the two remaining series (爆発野郎 and 荒っくれ!) are either ungogleable, aren't compiled, or are in a collection of his other works. Or my sources are wrong, Or I just haven't found them yet.

One thing I've noticed is how similar the main characters of the more serious works look like, of the 7 series of 68', 5 were of a school setting with the main character wearing uniform, "Conditions of a man" seems to be about a young teacher, but the character design (other than how muscular he is) could pass as a student with the uniform.

I now know exactly why the "How to be a mangaka" mantra of some of Sket Dance/Gintama and all Bakuman focus in the "your character must have a silouete that is easily identifiable" started, differenciating between KendoKid, BaseballKid and DelinquentKid isn't instantaneous, at least Go Nagai's style (and his choice to use the Cave man and the Teacher as cover characters) makes it easy to not miss PervertedKid. And Daigo the Giant (besides being a giant) had a distinctive buzz cut.
    One wonders if the other Umemoto comics were published elsewhere because Shueisha were the ones not wanting to publish them. It was very early days for Jump after all, and they don't appear to have been super successful as far as these things go.

But yeah, well done, good cover finding and junk!

As for the silhouette thing, I think that only really came into play as the old style of comics faded out and new series with more bombastic or noticeably different styles cropped up. the silhouette comes with the territory, and inevitably became key to a strong character design as this current age of jump comics came in, where youthful exuberance became the order of the day. It's not a guaranteed concept though, natch.

Oh, Maxy, you'll like this bit from Kurosaki Kaoru's panel. One of the friends who got in a comment was Sasaki Hisashi. The question (the comments are in Q&A form) was something like 'is what Bakuman tells us true'. Sasaki's answer was 'not true and not false'. Apparently every editor is instructed to give that answer with no further comment, regarding Bakuman.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy B View Post
    One wonders if the other Umemoto comics were published elsewhere because Shueisha were the ones not wanting to publish them. It was very early days for Jump after all, and they don't appear to have been super successful as far as these things go.
    If it was just one editorial I'd guess that it's just preference, or that as an already published mangaka he rather print in his turf. Maybe later I'll go back and check his other works (other than the 5 of WSJ and the ones here: http://caluchanche.blogspot.com/2009...to-sachio.html yay Spanish being useful!) has any clue about this.

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
    Oh, Maxy, you'll like this bit from Kurosaki Kaoru's panel. One of the friends who got in a comment was Sasaki Hisashi. The question (the comments are in Q&A form) was something like 'is what Bakuman tells us true'. Sasaki's answer was 'not true and not false'. Apparently every editor is instructed to give that answer with no further comment, regarding Bakuman.
    Ooh, I DO like knowing that! Makes it a lot easier to encourage people not to take it at face value (and even to consider what aspects could be true beyond our current ken), ta!

They somehow made Nagisa even hotter.

Wait, are they announcing an AssClass anime? Is there even enough material?
    Oh wait, it's a slice-of-life gag series, there's probably tons of filler they could add.

Quote Originally Posted by BatDan View Post
    Wait, are they announcing an AssClass anime? Is there even enough material?
    Oh wait, it's a slice-of-life gag series, there's probably tons of filler they could add.
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/19759/Ansatsu_Kyoushitsu

It's an "event anime" going on tour some time in the future as part of the Jump Super Anime Tour.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ts-event-anime

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Tintin is a comic from the 30's.
    Tintin's last book came out in the 70's lol. I've seen more than that btw, some modern ones, and they had a similar format. Film esque structure, tons of panels per page.
    Or are you telling me European comics are in fact in a similar format as Japanese, and are told at a similar pace as Japanese ones?
    You know, the necessary details to make your comparison not total nonsense?

There is as much diversity as for manga or american graphic novels.
    So tell us more about the examples you used then. Are they not self contained volumes in a longer series? Because you can be technically a series, but actually episodic.
    And the pacing is what. Every single detail imaginable shown? Do they have chapters of nothing but people being punched? I'm gonna guess no!

And reading all Tintin has not made you an expert in French comic, it rather proves that you know nothing about it.
    These are big words from someone who only a few pages ago upheld taking endless year long breaks as ordinary working conditions.

Huh, were to begin.
    First you know that episodic mangas exist too, don't you. Because what you say about their content seems quite reductive. Also the pace of the story has in general nothing to do with the pace at which it is released so I fail to understand the relation (There are action manga which are monthly, slice of life which are weekly). And except in Japan and the recent jump alpha, mangas are released only in volume. That doesn't prevent them to be published in France, US and other countries with some schedule that are not always that regular.

Second, about French/Belgium comic. Nowadays probably 60% of them are part of series. I don't know which modern ones you read to miss them. Once again all the titles I gave are not episodic. You can use google or wikipedia to know more about them if you don't believe me. About the content and the panneling, you just have to google image something like Lanfeust and see. Also now also exist what some people call manfra, which are French comic published in manga format (Dreamland is even scanlated)

Finally can you tell where I said something similar to your last phrase ? I think your problem is that you want Togashi to be ordinar when he is not.

tl;dr, "Those dumb Japs are workaholics they should all be like French and have absurd amounts of breaks"

BTW, this isn't related to Jump, but one of the manga artist serializing in Weekly Shounen Champion was just found dead.... suicide.
    Jun Sadogawa, author of Muteki Kanban Musume and currently running Amane Atatameru, was found hanging himself in a nearby park.

For a WSChampion artist he was pretty decently successful, with an anime series based on his work and all. Yeesh...

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    tl;dr, "Those dumb Japs are workaholics they should all be like French and have absurd amounts of breaks"

BTW, this isn't related to Jump, but one of the manga artist serializing in Weekly Shounen Champion was just found dead.... suicide.
    Jun Sadogawa, author of Muteki Kanban Musume and currently running Amane Atatameru, was found hanging himself in a nearby park.

For a WSChampion artist he was pretty decently successful, with an anime series based on his work and all. Yeesh...
    Yep, read about it, i donīt know if thatīs just to make the story even more spectacular but apparently, the police are skeptical about teh suicide.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information