+ Reply to Thread
Page 322 of 844 FirstFirst ... 222 272 312 320 321 322 323 324 332 372 422 822 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,440 of 16863

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

  1. #6421

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    There have been, during the more cut-throat editorial era, there were titles axed in 9 chapters.
    In recent years though, Editorial has become more forgiving (despite what some may think) and give longer chances to new series.

    This was the shortest in a long time, so there must have been some reason. Like you know, getting zero polls or such lol
    Out of morbid curiousity can you make a little write up about why this series sucked exactly?

  2. #6422
    Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East Sussex, United Kingdom

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    It whole-heartedly ripped off ruroken, and spent too much time pondering not-kenshin's dark past in vague terms.


  3. #6423

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP;2971598

    [SIZE=2
    There are chapters that are left out of the collected volumes, for various reasons. [/SIZE]
    Usually censorship issues and sensitive material deemed inappropriate.
    Colour me interested !

  4. #6424

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Out of morbid curiousity can you make a little write up about why this series sucked exactly?
    Like Maxy said, it was a really, really lame version of Rurouni Kenshin without any of its appeals.
    First of all, the protagonist - who is supposed to be a badass pacifist, was neither appealing in character nor appearance.
    There was hardly any depth to his characterization, he was like a walking cliche with a bad haircut.

    His pupil, who is supposed to be the spunky kid who talks shit to everyone, basically a carbon copy of Yahiko from Rurouni Kenshin, but had none of his appeal either.
    For the most part he was simply annoying. Now, I do have to say Yahiko also had similar annoying characteristics, but at least he was not the focus of the story.

    Overall the writing was just terrible. Everyone acted in over-dramatized lines straight out of typecast textbook, without a shred of the author's own quirk.
    Every chapter was two dimensional cliche being played out.

    As if that wasn't bad enough, nearly every other bits were lifted straight out of Rurouni Kenshin.
    It's like "I dunno how to write anything so I'm just going to copy some bits I can replicate from very similar setting manga, and not put any effort into making them endearing on their own"
    The author is a rookie, and he's definitely got talent for art. But obviously lacking in creative writing - I assume a lot of blame is on whoever the editor was.

    Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post
    Colour me interested !
    I don't have the details - I know some of the really old stuff such as a scene relating to imperial Japanese Army jokes (really vanilla stuff.. like the boss punching Ryo-san, accidentally saying "how can you call yourself a Imperial Soldier!" due to his old habit when he served in the war. Or memorial collection of Imerial Era weapons and goods were collected, including the flag, but some people are offended in even seeing those. etc) were replaced or deleted due to sensitive material, as well as gun violence jokes.
    A short research pulls up that one of the chapters in the 4th volume was deleted, but no reason given.
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; July 31st, 2013 at 11:40 AM.

  5. #6425

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Like Maxy said, it was a really, really lame version of Rurouni Kenshin without any of its appeals.
    First of all, the protagonist - who is supposed to be a badass pacifist, was neither appealing in character nor appearance.
    There was hardly any depth to his characterization, he was like a walking cliche with a bad haircut.

    His pupil, who is supposed to be the spunky kid who talks shit to everyone, basically a carbon copy of Yahiko from Rurouni Kenshin, but had none of his appeal either.
    For the most part he was simply annoying. Now, I do have to say Yahiko also had similar annoying characteristics, but at least he was not the focus of the story.

    Overall the writing was just terrible. Everyone acted in over-dramatized lines straight out of typecast textbook, without a shred of the author's own quirk.
    Every chapter was two dimensional cliche being played out.

    As if that wasn't bad enough, nearly every other bits were lifted straight out of Rurouni Kenshin.
    It's like "I dunno how to write anything so I'm just going to copy some bits I can replicate from very similar setting manga, and not put any effort into making them endearing on their own"
    The author is a rookie, and he's definitely got talent for art. But obviously lacking in creative writing - I assume a lot of blame is on whoever the editor was.



    I don't have the details - I know some of the really old stuff such as a scene relating to imperial Japanese Army jokes (really vanilla stuff.. like the boss punching Ryo-san, accidentally saying "how can you call yourself a Imperial Soldier!" due to his old habit when he served in the war. Or memorial collection of Imerial Era weapons and goods were collected, including the flag, but some people are offended in even seeing those. etc) were replaced or deleted due to sensitive material, as well as gun violence jokes.
    A short research pulls up that one of the chapters in the 4th volume was deleted, but no reason given.
    I'd imagine Jump publishing the "uncut" stuff for an anniversary or something.

    I'm sure there'd be interest if even for the sake of curiosity.

  6. #6426

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    You'd think if were to copy something, you wouldn't make it so damn obvious like...I dunno...making the setting remarkably similar, the character archetypes remarkably similar, the set up remarkably similar, etc...

    Mutou is a total failure in trying to pass itself off as a "new" serie (considering how Rurouni isn't even THAT old yet). Gee couldn't SOME thought have been put into this like swapping up the setting (Sci-fi or western) or character archetypes (maybe from a different pov?) or heck MAYBE even just throwing in Super Robots and it would have "felt" like something new. But nope, NOTHING new was offered whatsoever. The art was okay, but...yeah, so was Bulge's.

  7. #6427

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    About ripping out kenshin, Gintama, Gin's story and the world setting are somewhat like that part of Japan history, Gin dessilution with life and the country and the decision of focusing in what is in front of him, to protect those who he can reach. But sorachi always gives it another twist.

  8. #6428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    About ripping out kenshin, Gintama, Gin's story and the world setting are somewhat like that part of Japan history, Gin dessilution with life and the country and the decision of focusing in what is in front of him, to protect those who he can reach. But sorachi always gives it another twist.
    Not only that, but at least he does something with it and gives the characters their own flavor, or so to say.

  9. #6429

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    FUUUUUUUUUUUH-
    Mutou ends and they still cancelled Cross Manage. So painful.

    And if World Trigger is seriously that popular among voters to push it up, more power to it, but if it is just being spared by editors then more pain for the cancellation of Cross Manage. I wonder if vol. 2 will even make the top 50.

  10. #6430

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Nisekoi is still a enigma to me..it's plot is well used too...yet it gets so much popularity...

  11. #6431

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Because there's a big difference between being a common cliche and being a xerox copy.

  12. #6432
    The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I hacked ultimateclima's account

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by auem View Post
    Nisekoi is still a enigma to me..it's plot is well used too...yet it gets so much popularity...
    My interest in Nisekoi is actually lessening, but I stand by it follows the harem series guidelines effectively. For me it's kinda like a crime procedural/comfort food. As long as the story's engaging enough and characters are decent it'll have a niche (especially since I don't think SJ has something quite like it running at the moment either, but I'm saying that not 100% sure of SJ's lineup too so...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

  13. #6433

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    IMO, we've yet to see any romance based manga in WSJ surpassing Denei Shoujo (Video Girl Ai).

    Which reminds me, Gintama this week brought up the topic of Denei Shoujo, citing that as the fap material of Gin-san's generation.
    (As opposed to ToLOVEru being the fap material for Shinpachi's gen)
    I LOLed hard.

    He was like "uh-huh, yeah, I understand, you gotta first 'cushion' with entry level Jump stuff first before you level up to real smut. Yeah we've all gone through that bro, you don't have to be ashamed." then goes on to give tips on how to hide smut from your family.

  14. #6434

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Because there's a big difference between being a common cliche and being a xerox copy.
    i understand that...but what surprised me is another manga Kagami no Kuni,which came just before Nisekoi,didn't managed to last despite having same 'common cliche' rather interestingly presented...it is difficult to understand what catches people's fancy when it comes to this type of manga..

  15. #6435

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    I lost interest in Nisekoi a while ago, probably since it turned into a slice of life-harem thing, not that it was that original before but i still liked the love triangle.

  16. #6436
    Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East Sussex, United Kingdom

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by auem View Post
    i understand that...but what surprised me is another manga Kagami no Kuni,which came just before Nisekoi,didn't managed to last despite having same 'common cliche' rather interestingly presented...it is difficult to understand what catches people's fancy when it comes to this type of manga..
    Harisugawa in Mirror World didn't last because, as Kano himself stated, he'd written himself into a corner by having such a limiting central concept. I mean look at My Pajama Girlfriend, a series with a similar supernatural bent that screwed the pooch *so hard* because it tried to move away from its central concept.

    As to the appeal, it's a romantic comedy. It makes you smile, then pulls your heartstrings, and you become invested in the characters. The fact it throws the occasional bit of ecchi in probably helps tank sales, but by and large it being a much cleaner rom-com than most jump series means that kids can more openly latch onto it, where most rom-coms full of ecchi (be it To Love-ru, or smaller darlings like Koisome Momiji) tend to sit around at the bottom.

    Oh, that and Nisekoi does itself a favour with the constant background element of the gang stuff. It doesn't come up often, but it keeps things spicy.

    ... Weirdly that reminds me of Hibari-kun, despite the series not reading the same at all...

    EDIT: Oh yeah, and also harems do pretty well with japanese audiences because the main character is a hyper-capable cipher they can immerse themself in whilst the multiple character types means there's a girl for everyone. There's a reason Nisekoi is mostly a hit for boys.
    Last edited by Maxy B; August 1st, 2013 at 01:11 AM.


  17. #6437

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    I could go on a long rant about transition of harem type manga, its roots in Urusei Yatsura, the transition phase of Orange Road and Ranma, emergence of Love Hina and Ah My Goddess, its influence by the 90s dating sim games and later vanilla eroge, molding the genre into what it is now, but here is not the place for the rant.

  18. #6438
    Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East Sussex, United Kingdom

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    That reminds me, those lucky americans have Kimagure Orange Road available on their kindles. My envy is palpable.


  19. #6439

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    So um

    Who wants to cook pasta with Araki (Jojo) and Matsui (AssClass, Neuro)?


  20. #6440

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    ME! I love Pasta! Im sure it will be so tasty!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts