+ Reply to Thread
Page 317 of 844 FirstFirst ... 217 267 307 315 316 317 318 319 327 367 417 817 ... LastLast
Results 6,321 to 6,340 of 16868

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Pretty much.

If you actually look at those collection of their winners as well, they really for the most part weren't very good.

There was a little bit of decent art in there, but it was still very obviously amateur.

http://mangablog.mangabookshelf.com/...3/02/rsom7.jpghttp://img1.imagesbn.com/p/978159532...1_s260x420.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...of_Manga_1.jpg
    And that's the COVER, where they showed the very best of what they had... with color! The *very best* they had to offer after nationwide talent searches and submissions.

I'm pretty sure none of those artists were older than 17.
    I kinda like the yeti.

That's basically it.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

To be fair, I *still* and *willingly* actually work under WORSE conditions than those for some projects.

But thats for my side projects for fun. I have proper paying work most of the month.
    Do you moonlight as a rug in a seedy disco or something ? O_o

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

To be fair, I *still* and *willingly* actually work under WORSE conditions than those for some projects.

But thats for my side projects for fun. I have proper paying work most of the month.
    Do you moonlight as a rug in a seedy disco or something ? O_o

By the way, serious question.

This was a tweet by Weekly Shonen Jump: "Just read next week's issue author comments, and all I have to say is "Wow. . ." for Oda Sensei's comment. . ."

This is supposedly for the issue coming out this monday, meaning, the issue we are reading in an illegal way today.

Is this comment Oda made in this issue avaliable? And if it is, what does it say?

Thanks in advance!

Sadly, no one put up a scan of the ToC page in the mangahelpers thread for the upcoming issue. Or the current one (ie the one released yesterday/2 days ago), for that matter.

Does anybody know where to look on 2chan for the thread where these leaks are copied from? I tried looking earlier today and could not find any WSJ covers or ToCs that I could notice right away.

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    By the way, serious question.

This was a tweet by Weekly Shonen Jump: "Just read next week's issue author comments, and all I have to say is "Wow. . ." for Oda Sensei's comment. . ."

This is supposedly for the issue coming out this monday, meaning, the issue we are reading in an illegal way today.

Is this comment Oda made in this issue avaliable? And if it is, what does it say?

Thanks in advance!
    He went to see a live comedy performance ....he laughed so hard that now he feels re-energized....

The one about Oda seeing SUMMERS is for issue #32 (released this past Monday).

If you can wait, zogobob gives the author comments from viz alpha in mangahelpers TOC thread

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by auem View Post
    He went to see a live comedy performance ....he laughed so hard that now he feels re-energized....
    Can you post the message in japanese? ^^ thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
    The one about Oda seeing SUMMERS is for issue #32 (released this past Monday).
    ah!didn't know that...

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    If you can wait, zogobob gives the author comments from viz alpha in mangahelpers TOC thread
    Ok, thanks! I'll wait then.

Shonen Jump #33:
    Ginga Patrol Jako:

Toriko:

Hq!!:

Last edited by Bonney_AP; July 13th, 2013 at 03:29 AM.

I was wondering. We know that Oda inteded One Piece to last for about 5 years (which is roughly 250 chapters), right? But, at what point did OP has begun growing in popularity for Oda's to reconsider his initial plans?

Quote Originally Posted by Strawhat Chan View Post
    I was wondering. We know that Oda inteded One Piece to last for about 5 years (which is roughly 250 chapters), right? But, at what point did OP has begun growing in popularity for Oda's to reconsider his initial plans?
    Well, it was an instant hit, and you can see the change of pacing almost instantly. The first couple stories were just a couple chapters each, but by as early as Usopp in volume 4, he was comfortable with doing a 20 chapter (5 month) story.

But as a definitive sign I'd say probably by Sanji was when he already had some idea it was going to be longer, since that was the first time he stopped and slowed down the narrative to do a lengthy multi-chapter flashback in the middle of the action at his own pace. Zoro and Usopp before that had gotten really short backstories, Usopp's barely even existing.

At the same time, I don't think we're ever going to get a 2-3 year 10+ volume arc like Boroque Works, Skypeia or Water 7 again, apart from the final one... (Sabondy, Amazon Lilly, Impel Down, the War, and the aftermath combined was about that long, but they're fairly distinct pieces.) Realizing that there's still another 10 or 15 years ahead of him, Oda's clearly in a little more of a hurry than he used to be ever since the new world started.

Roughly a year (3-4 volumes) is probably about what we can expect out of any major arc at this point, since that's been about the pace since Thriller Bark.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Hmm. Yeah, I agree.

Also his ideas of such as Zoro being Buggy's crewmate were scrapped right at the beginning, since Zoro was introduced back in chapter 3, which was also the chapter in which Oda wanted at first to introduce the Fishmen (but delayed their introduction by his editor's advice)...

Well, it was an instant hit, and you can see the change of pacing almost instantly. The first couple stories were just a couple chapters each, but by as early as Usopp in volume 4, he was comfortable with doing a 20 chapter (5 month) story.
    No Kidding, Morgan was embarassingly brief, which is a shame considering he had a cool design.

I don't think he's realy in any more of a hurry then he was before, since he still has the same policy of skipping fights that don't have to do with the SH's directly. See Fukaboshi, Ryuboshi and Manboshi being offpaneled after having done jack all except make determined faces.

We know that Oda inteded One Piece to last for about 5 years (which is roughly 250 chapters), right? But, at what point did OP has begun growing in popularity for Oda's to reconsider his initial plans?
    really? 5 years? he said that?
    isn't one piece already popular since vol.1? as i remember, it has +1m sales...

I think his statement is misinterpreted. He estimated that One Piece would take 5 years to tell, but the tale grew in the telling. He didn't just extend it because of increased popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLuffy559 View Post
    I think his statement is misinterpreted. He estimated that One Piece would take 5 years to tell, but the tale grew in the telling. He didn't just extend it because of increased popularity.
    That said, without increased popularity, he probably would not be able to take as long to tell the story. For a what's-looking-to-be-well-over-20-year story, the only way to pull that off is for there to be heightened popularity. Otherwise, arcs would definitely be much shorter/not exist at all in order to quicken the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hermit View Post
    That said, without increased popularity, he probably would not be able to take as long to tell the story. For a what's-looking-to-be-well-over-20-year story, the only way to pull that off is for there to be heightened popularity. Otherwise, arcs would definitely be much shorter/not exist at all in order to quicken the pace.
    Of course. I'm just clarifying that he didn't go "oh look how popular I am now, time to milk this for all it's worth". Obviously he didn't plan for One Piece to end at Skypiea, so it only makes sense that the popularity gave him the freedom to naturally expand things much farther than he originally estimated.

I forget which interview it was(might have been his one with Takehiko Inou), but I recall him saying that he planned for it to be 5 years, but the story just got away from him. That's why I used GRR Martin's quote "The tale grew in the telling". Oda just keeps getting more and more things he wants to say and draw. But he isn't artificially extending it. Just making a more and more detailed world.

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

and of course its worth remembering that any creator worth their salt can start put with a certain plan and have it change completely as they see what works, what doesn't, what things fit and even just by how theyve grown as a creator.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information