+ Reply to Thread
Page 316 of 844 FirstFirst ... 216 266 306 314 315 316 317 318 326 366 416 816 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,320 of 16865

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    MORAL RIGHTS” AND YOUR CREDIT
    “Moral rights” is a fancy term (the French thought it up) that basically has to do with having your name attached to your creation (your credit!) and the right to approve or disapprove certain changes to your creation. Of course, we want you to get credit for your creation, and we want to work with you in case there are changes, but we want to do so under the terms in this pact instead of under fancy French idea. So, in order for us to adapt the Manga Pilot for different media, and to determine how we should include your credit in tough situations, you agree to give up any “moral rights” you might have.”

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPirate View Post
    What the... It's so unbealivable it's almost cartoonish. Never heard of tokyopop before, interesting info :L

PD: "Serious fun"? What the fucking fuck?

Why the hell would anybody sign this? I mean even a normal person would recognize that there is something seriously wrong with the contract.

I am ashamed to say that I have given them business in my country as they still own the rights for a couple of mangas in Germany. But it seems that they are nowadays completely disconnected from the US main branch. (not that surprising as they are a seperate company and the main corporation went under) So I can buy Bakuman and others without supporting such business practices.

They were very clearly trying to ensnare the impressionable youth that saw home-grown series like Bizenghast take off and dreamed they could get their own series out there to the masses. How very Faustian.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by werewulfking View Post
    Why the hell would anybody sign this? I mean even a normal person would recognize that there is something seriously wrong with the contract.
    To a young kid with dreams of big success, being published by a real professional publisher exposing their story to potentially "millions" of readers, to who has probably only gotten an allowance their whole life and to who 700 or so dollars sounds like an incredible amount of money? (And not doing the math to figure out the page rate... but what do you care if you're doing what you love?)

It sounds like an amazing deal is being offered to you if you're optimistic about the future (in still say, high school)... if you have no idea how the world works... which is exactly the really young hopeful audience they were shamelessly targeting.

They weren't trying to get the most experienced and best talent, they were trying to get the youngest and easiest to manipulate.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Yeah, seems the whole thing is aimed at grabbing the same sort of group you see pouring money into talent auditions only to be scammed. As much as we may look back at it and say "well this thing is a whole mess of obvious evil," I'd presume that they'd offer this sort of deal as a one-time only offer. Either take it now or leave it. And don't even think about taking time to think about it or call your lawyer/parents/sense of judgment.

To be fair, I *still* and *willingly* actually work under WORSE conditions than those for some projects.

But thats for my side projects for fun. I have proper paying work most of the month.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

They weren't trying to get the most experienced and best talent, they were trying to get the youngest and easiest to manipulate.
    So essentially the deviant art junior high/high school kids?

Quote Originally Posted by valiantt View Post
    So essentially the deviant art junior high/high school kids?
    Pretty much.

If you actually look at those collection of their winners as well, they really for the most part weren't very good.

There was a little bit of decent art in there, but it was still very obviously amateur.

And that's the COVER, where they showed the very best of what they had... with color! The *very best* they had to offer after nationwide talent searches and submissions.

I'm pretty sure none of those artists were older than 17.

The way they stylized that second A, it looks like it says "The Rising Stars of Mango".

Uuuhhh....errr....*looks at my own work and mumbles to myself about being an amateur*

Yeah that's the thing with these works, they lack...how to say...personality. It's as if they all took the same "how to draw cliche bland looking manga" book and followed it to produce remarkably similar work (which I guess the one on the far right is a testament to that). None of them seem to have their own style or flair that distinguishes itself as something potentially interesting. Heck, even ONE has shoddy art but he manages to stand out.

But who am I to judge? My art sucks

Holy hell

I remember seeing one of those manga in a local Goodwill (a thrift shop). I was about to buy it, but let go of it.

Damn, I feel like I should have bought it.

You are on a quest to become the Pirate Prince, and you decide your fate!

Weekly Shonen Jump #33/2013 cover.

Two August Jump Volume covers.

Toriko #26:

Haikyû!! #07:

5 :ohana ◆IR7jauNn4E :2013/07/09(火) 16:15:24.91 ID:082eUWbLP
    表紙 ジャンプ主人公
    巻頭 銀河パトロールジャコ
    ワンピ
    暗殺
    ナルト
    ニセコイ
    トリコ C
    ソーマ
    トリガー
    ハイキュ C
    黒子
    斉木
    べるぜ
    SOUL
    ブリーチ
    銀魂
    こち亀
    スモーキー
    無刀
    クロス
    エジソン

34号 トリコ巻頭
    新連載が2つ
    ワールドトリガー C
    べるぜ C

ToC
    Galactic Patrol Jako (Cover) One Piece
    Assassination Classroom
    Naruto
    Nisekoi
    Toriko (Color)
    Shokugeki no Soma
    World Trigger
    Haikyuu!! (Color)
    Kuroko no Basuke
    Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
    Beelebub
    Soul Catcher(S)
    Bleach
    Gintama
    Kochikame
    Smokey B.B. (First Ranking)
    Mutou Black
    Cross Manage
    Koisuru Edison

Toriko Cover
    World Trigger (Color)
    Beelzebub (Color)

Source : Nensense
    Last edited by Bonney_AP; July 9th, 2013 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redon View Post
    Weekly Shonen Jump #33/2013 cover.

http://i.imgur.com/G18JWCD.jpg
    Toriyama is still the same old Ultraman fan, i see..

Glad to see World Trigger is doing well now.

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

*grumbles something vague about jump readers not appreciating a pretty decent baseball comic*

WT's above Kuroko? Even though Ashihara was desperate enough to throw out Kuga's backstory last week?

Something's not right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
    WT's above Kuroko? Even though Ashihara was desperate enough to throw out Kuga's backstory last week?

Something's not right here.
    Rankings are based on chapters from several weeks back, (either 6 or 8, I forget) not last week's chapter.

And Kuroko is still solidly in the middle, I don't know what the problem is. Series fluctuate by a couple slots all the time. Even OP falls to 3rd or 4th occasionally.

WT is making progress...Beelzebub to having decent rank for two weeks running...

Rankings are based on chapters from several weeks back, (either 6 or 8, I forget) not last week's chapter.

And Kuroko is still solidly in the middle, I don't know what the problem is. Series fluctuate by a couple slots all the time. Even OP falls to 3rd or 4th occasionally.
    No no. What I meant was that if WT's doing somewhat okay (read: not being consistently in the bottom 5), why did he Do The Thing with Kuga's past? Magico did the same thing (with Shion's past) before it got canned. It gives off the feeling that they wanted to get the important stuff out while they still had the chance (or make a last ditch effort at a decent ranking hoping people will care about the backstories).

I only mentioned Kuroko because it's popular; I haven't caught up with it yet (maybe that chapter sucked; I don't know). Isn't there the chance that the editors moved WT above it as a last ditch effort for exposure (like they did with Edison)?

Maybe it's next in line after Edison and CM, maybe it was just bad writing; I don't know. Something feels off, though.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information