+ Reply to Thread
Page 305 of 844 FirstFirst ... 205 255 295 303 304 305 306 307 315 355 405 805 ... LastLast
Results 6,081 to 6,100 of 16863

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    I'm surprised with WSJ editors giving a ok to depict a Jr. High protagonist smoking cigarettes tbh.
    That's one of the big no-no's in WSJ censorship, along with drinking.
    (LOL at Soma claiming they're just drinking "rice juice" ahaha)

Used to not be a big deal in the 80s of course, Kimagure Orange Road had both heroines smoking.
    But both those things happened in Eyeshield. Or is it specifically Jr. High? High School gets a bit of leeway?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    But both those things happened in Eyeshield. Or is it specifically Jr. High? High School gets a bit of leeway?
    I think HS gets a little bit more leeway considering most protagonists are approximately high school aged (which then they are allowed to be shown "smoking" for coolness sake or sexy for fanservice/harem sake).

Mangapanda's scanlation of Smoky B.B. must be the worst scanlation I've ever read. I hope another group pick up this manga soon.

I guess so. Musashi was the big smoker and he looked like an old man and the trio quit, so maybe it was okay.
    Spoiler:

Sket Dance is on its last arc, the rankings literally does not matter. Its end is already scheduled.
    It's less a matter of its future than a desire to see it go out on top. Unrealistic, sure, but for a series that scrapped its way up from the Bottom Five, it would be a shame for it to end its career there.

Yaaaaaay World Trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    It's less a matter of its future than a desire to see it go out on top. Unrealistic, sure, but for a series that scrapped its way up from the Bottom Five, it would be a shame for it to end its career there.
    Don't they always put the last chapter of a series last in the TOC?
    Last edited by Cruithne; May 29th, 2013 at 04:45 PM.

Popular and old series are never last and even get a color page in most cases

Quote Originally Posted by fana View Post
    Mangapanda's scanlation of Smoky B.B. must be the worst scanlation I've ever read. I hope another group pick up this manga soon.
    easily one the shittiest translation i ever read...i wonder whether the translator himself cared to read it back and check whether it makes sense....

Quote Originally Posted by auem View Post
    easily one the shittiest translation i ever read...i wonder whether the translator himself cared to read it back and check whether it makes sense....
    That would probably get in the way of his favorite activity. Banging his head against a brick wall while eating lead paint chips.

Quote Originally Posted by BatDan View Post
    That would probably get in the way of his favorite activity. Banging his head against a brick wall while eating lead paint chips.
    That's mean. It's not his fault he was born without a head, you don't have to rub it in

not gonna read a scanlation but I will say that Smoky BB has a kinda twitchy style that moves quickly and demands the reader follow along without some of the handholding Jump series usually do at the start. it wouldn't be the easiest thing to translate.

Is Smoky BB the new baseball manga? Heard about it and considered trying it out, but seeing all these comments about poor translations....I think I'll wait. The other new series, Soul Catcher(S), is OK after the first chapter.

Anyway, awesome that Shokugeki no Soma and Assassination Classroom are doing so well, particularly Soma. Surprised that World Trigger is so high up all of a sudden. Looking forward to having One Piece back next week!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    not gonna read a scanlation but I will say that Smoky BB has a kinda twitchy style that moves quickly and demands the reader follow along without some of the handholding Jump series usually do at the start. it wouldn't be the easiest thing to translate.
    It is mangapanda. It would be hard for them even if it was an easy-to-translate manga.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Handholding? What do you mean?

Read Smokey BB chapter 2.
    It's like a model kickoff of a shounen sports manga lol.

If Cross Manage was unconventional in every way, BB is the opposite: feels like what you'd expect from a Jump sports manga.
    Only thing is though, Jump has traditionally bad luck with baseball manga compared to the other three shounen mags.
    Jump had a few hits, but Sunday, Magazine, Champion all have mega-hits with the subject.

I think the last hit baseball manga in Jump was Rookies a decade ago.

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

*checks FEV posts he recently wrote about baseball comics in Jump* *shameless plug*

I.. Kinda? Mr. Fullswing debuted a bit later on, and that went for a good while. But yeah, you're on point that their baseball successes don't compare to the other mags (even if I do love all the ones I've read that aren't called Over Time).

Can't decide if Smoky B.B. playing it conventional is promising or not for me, but then I'm in it mostly for the art side, so I can live with it.

I think the last hit baseball manga in Jump was Rookies a decade ago.
    And even that wasn't much of a "hit" (at least not compared to RB) until the drama came along informed all the ladies that there were BOYZ in that series

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gliblord View Post
    Handholding? What do you mean?
    First several pages open in media res which combined with the punchy dialogue means that you could easily get confused if you're not paying attention (or if the translator does a poor job). It's not until later in the chapter that things start to make sense. The style of it stuck out to me compared to Soul Catchers and Muto Black, both of which have very straightforward introductions -- hell, Soul Catchers spells out exactly the main character's deal in the first few pages.

Keep in mind I'm just talking about from a translation/comprehension standpoint. Smoky BB has an orthodox shonen sports manga style, as Aohige said above.

Well, that would be a good explanation if it was just a few mistakes but what mangapanda did is some kind of "Google Translate" level of translation.

This week's Isobe the ukiyo-e samurai manga was revealing that he's actually just a son of a barber, and a samurai wannabe. He's a NEET (nevermind the fact that word didn't exist in Edo period! lol), spends the entire chapter cuddled in his futon fantasizing about hitting on the dango-ya's daughter and kicking baddies asses as a samurai.

This shit is funnier than that stupid Edison, lol

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

Oh God, this is sounding like a perfect gag manga. I only skimmed the first one but man, now I've gotta go back and read it (and this new one you're on about, natch)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information