+ Reply to Thread
Page 272 of 844 FirstFirst ... 172 222 262 270 271 272 273 274 282 322 372 772 ... LastLast
Results 5,421 to 5,440 of 16875

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

  1. #5421

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    There's a huge gulf between
    "Well, there's not a whole lot we can do about theft, but let's try to discourage it"

    and
    "Here's the keys to the store, there's no security all night and the combination to the safe is 26-42-5."
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  2. #5422

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    There's a huge gulf between
    "Well, there's not a whole lot we can do about theft, but let's try to discourage it"

    and
    "Here's the keys to the store, there's no security all night and the combination to the safe is 26-42-5."
    I still don't really see how it would be any different. The people who would read the translated english version would be the same people who would already do that, so I doubt it'd impact sales at all. Plus, if a pirate blatantly stole the exact copy that viz put out, I feel like it'd be pretty easy to pursue legal action. I just don't see how it encourages or increases piracy at all really. It'd be better for reducing AMerican piracy, and I just don't see how it would affect Japanese piracy (Since at best it'd be a pirated copy a day or two earlier than what already exists anyways)

  3. #5423

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Your entire idea hinges on american readers getting copies a week early for some reason.

    And no, the idea of "well, there's already piracy, so what does it hurt if we make it even easier, faster, and more professional" does not make any sense.

    You don't crack down on piracy by encouraging it and helping and giving it even more advantage over the actual product.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  4. #5424

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    The idea would be so that pirates can't release earlier than the official release. Yeah, you could argue people will just steal the official version then, but I feel like a lot of people pirate because its faster in the first place and because they don't want to pay for an item they've already used. If professionalism was the problem, people can steal the official version now anyways. The biggest barrier to the official releases has always been that they can't compete speedwise from what I've seen. You can say that a lot of people here still steal despite the simul release, but a lot of people here either don't live in America or canada and so have no legitimate way to access american wsj, or aren't patient enough to wait for the magazine and don't want to pay for something they've already read

  5. #5425

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Ah, that's where the confusion lies. You're making two seperate arguments with the same point.

    Your argument is simply they should have digital releases ahead of the slower printed magazine.

    It being for the american version has nothing to do with *that*. Yes, the japanese should embrace digital release. They're getting there. But when the physical magazine sells millions of copies and makes all their money, they aren't going to start cutting into that until they have to.

    Give it another 10 years, or maybe even 5, and that might become the standard where the digital outsells the physical and they don't bother anymore (already the case for american jump.)

    But that's an argument simply about the benefit of digital vs. physical. Piracy has nothing to do with that debate at all, it's a completely different kettle of fish.

    They're still experimenting with same-day release, and that alone has enough hiccups to figure out and new business models to finesse before you even begin discussing early-release. (Price point, format, subscription, how you store it, special readers, etc.) But that's a transition all comics, magazines, newspapers, and books are going through thats still going to take another decade or so to sort through yet. (Though american comics are dying so they may change faster.) We've already had a bumpy decade of transition, that's being worked through.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  6. #5426
    Discovered Stowaway Haros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    The idea would be so that pirates can't release earlier than the official release. Yeah, you could argue people will just steal the official version then, but I feel like a lot of people pirate because its faster in the first place and because they don't want to pay for an item they've already used. If professionalism was the problem, people can steal the official version now anyways. The biggest barrier to the official releases has always been that they can't compete speedwise from what I've seen. You can say that a lot of people here still steal despite the simul release, but a lot of people here either don't live in America or canada and so have no legitimate way to access american wsj, or aren't patient enough to wait for the magazine and don't want to pay for something they've already read
    earlier release wouldnt make any difference.
    1) You will just have the official version uploaded at pirate sites after some minutes so the free stuff could be obtained even easier and you will be getting the best translation. At least now there is a motive(a good translation) to get the alpha version(for those who can at least).

    2) No matter how you look at it printed version is way better than a digital one. I personally wouldnt pay for digital version but i buy volumes.

  7. #5427

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Ah, that's where the confusion lies. You're making two seperate arguments with the same point.

    Your argument is simply they should have digital releases ahead of the slower printed magazine.

    It being for the american version has nothing to do with *that*. Yes, the japanese should embrace digital release. They're getting there. But when the physical magazine sells millions of copies and makes all their money, they aren't going to start cutting into that until they have to.
    I assumed American Jump stopping was kinda just caused by low sales, "turning necessity into virtue", as we say round here.

    As far as Jump in Japan is concerned, doesn't it actualy not make that much of a profit, being more "advertising" for the trades ?

  8. #5428

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Actually yes. The profit margin of the magazine itself isn't very high, the vast majority of income comes from the tankoubon sales.
    However, because they have sponsor ads in the actual magazine, Shuueisha does value the magazine sales greatly.
    They also want to maintain the target audience: i.e. little boys

    This is one of the reasons why they value polls. Even if a manga doesn't do very well in tank sales, if they do well in polls, they stay in the magazine.
    This system is to encourage the sales of the magazine itself.

    So they are unwilling to do any move that will abruptly hinder the sales of the magazine.

  9. #5429

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Haros View Post
    2) No matter how you look at it printed version is way better than a digital one. I personally wouldnt pay for digital version but i buy volumes.
    There are tons of benefits to digital. (Picture quality, low shelf space usage, no print cost for the publisher, infinite distribution, no running out of stock).

    Already kids that have been born in the last couple years are growing up in an all-digital age and prefer tablets to physical books and magazines. In another 10 or 20 years physical copies of periodicals are going to be non-existent. (though trades will still continue in printed for) Its about what you grew up with.

    Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post
    As far as Jump in Japan is concerned, doesn't it actualy not make that much of a profit, being more "advertising" for the trades ?
    Largely because thats where they pay the creators most of the money. (With really high page rates if they're important.) So most of the initial profit goes to the creatives.

    Yes, the creators still get a fairly large cut of the trades (something like 10%) but since that's reprint material after print costs its basically printed money.

    Also, the mag works really well to weed stuff out and create a certain ongoing weekly fanbase... there's a lot of reasons to have the magazine.





    Another thing about digital versus physical publishing currently is, publishers don't want to piss off the middleman retailers, so digital content gets priced the same as the physical copies... but given a little more time digital is generally just going to be much cheaper (as it should be with no middleman or physical production cost, just creator labor) and that's gonna shake the markets up a lot.
    Last edited by Robby; March 15th, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  10. #5430

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    There are tons of benefits to digital. (Picture quality, low shelf space usage, no print cost for the publisher).

    Already kids that have been born in the last couple years are growing up in an all-digital age and prefer tablets to physical books and magazines. In another 10 or 20 years physical copies of periodicals are going to be non-existent. (though trades will still continue in printed for) Its about what you grew up with.



    Largely because thats where they pay the creators most of the money. (With really high page rates if they're important.) So most of the initial profit goes to the creatives.

    Yes, the creators still get a fairly large cut of the trades (something like 10%) but since that's reprint material after print costs its basically printed money.

    Also, the mag works really well to weed stuff out and create a certain ongoing weekly fanbase... there's a lot of reasons to have the magazine.





    Another thing about digital versus physical publishing currently is, publishers don't want to piss off the middleman retailers, so digital content gets priced the same as the physical copies... but given a little more time digital is generally just going to be much cheaper (as it should be with no middleman or physical production cost, just creator labor) and that's gonna shake the markets up a lot.
    Interestingly enough, Viz's digital volumes cost half as much as the phyical ($5 instead of $10). It's even cheaper to buy individual digital volumes than the box sets they sell

  11. #5431

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    Interestingly enough, Viz's digital volumes cost half as much as the phyical ($5 instead of $10). It's even cheaper to buy individual digital volumes than the box sets they sell
    As they SHOULD. Without production cost or retail middlemen, every cent they get is pure profit. Digital makes a ton of sense in that regard.

    But they can't completely underprice it, and people still want physical copies.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  12. #5432

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Just think of how big a stink it was when a OP anime episode leaked a day or two early due to the Viz server being hacked... and thats stuff they air on tv for free!
    It was FUNimation actually...


    And I completely love digital, but I still am not comfortable with all the pricing. As it is now, there are some volumes actually cheaper to get in print. The ones still priced at the $7.99 for their paperbacks are still priced at $4.99 on the VizManga store. If you just wait for a sale, it is really easy to get those volumes for $4.80.
    I just don't like knowing I am paying more, for a cheaper product, and then knowing
    that the company knows this as well, and is intending to let it slide under the rug for their own profit.
    I definitely think a lot of manga is worth more to me than what I am paying,
    but from a consumer perspective, it really just erks me knowing a company
    is ignoring inconsistencies in pricing for their own advantage.
    It just makes me feel used.

  13. #5433

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    i heard this week we may get chapters Tuesday(a early release)..is it true..?

  14. #5434

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Yes, we may, due to a holiday in the week.

    Probably shouldn't have said that, I'd rather have fewer guest accounts spamming F5 -_-;

  15. #5435

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Finally some good news.
    Can't wait for it!

  16. #5436
    True Believer rereboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Portugal

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    There will always be a market for physical products, even if digital eventually becomes mainstream.

    Digital is great for the immediate satisfaction, access and low price, but its highly dependent on external services like the internet itself and subscriptions/accounts which can be blocked or banned. Just look at Steam and other services like that where its possible to get banned (rightly or wrongly), losing all of your games along with your account.

    So... Yeah. Everything digital is not something desirable and I don't think it will ever happen simply because there will always be demand for physical products. I don't doubt that digital will eventually become the mainstream and only the successful products will get physical releases, though.

  17. #5437

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by rereboy View Post
    There will always be a market for physical products, even if digital eventually becomes mainstream.

    Digital is great for the immediate satisfaction, access and low price, but its highly dependent on external services like the internet itself and subscriptions/accounts which can be blocked or banned. Just look at Steam and other services like that where its possible to get banned (rightly or wrongly), losing all of your games along with your account.

    So... Yeah. Everything digital is not something desirable and I don't think it will ever happen simply because there will always be demand for physical products. I don't doubt that digital will eventually become the mainstream and only the successful products will get physical releases, though.
    The internet access is a lower and easier requerimient than "Being in the house that I have the book", at least for me.

  18. #5438
    True Believer rereboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Portugal

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    The internet access is a lower and easier requerimient than "Being in the house that I have the book", at least for me.
    Considering that there are internet providers in the USA right now warning their costumers that they might block their internet access if copyright holders complain they are infringing copyright rights (all this without proof validated by a court of law of said infringement I might add), I wouldn't take internet access for granted. At all.
    Last edited by rereboy; March 18th, 2013 at 04:26 PM.

  19. #5439

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Thing is, with digital works, companies are and have been known to screw with people.

    "Oh, got a perfectly legal account in another country and purchased books through it ? Let's ban you outright, delete all of the things you paid for in that and your domestic account, never actualy say why until the news gets involved, and vehemently deny any chance of ever unblocking your account ever again. But we will keep the money for all of your purchases, including the ones we banned you for."

  20. #5440
    True Believer rereboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Portugal

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post
    Thing is, with digital works, companies are and have been known to screw with people.

    "Oh, got a perfectly legal account in another country and purchased books through it ? Let's ban you outright, delete all of the things you paid for in that and your domestic account, never actualy say why until the news gets involved, and vehemently deny any chance of ever unblocking your account ever again. But we will keep the money for all of your purchases, including the ones we banned you for."
    Exactly. Anything goes wrong and "puff", there goes all that you thought you owned.

    If I have all the volumes of One Piece, they are mine, I can hold them, I can put them where I want and I can even sell them to who ever I want. If I merely have digital copies that require access to a certain service, if for some reason that service fails or I can't access it anymore, bye bye my one piece digital volumes.

    Digital is great for rentals. Ownership not so much (unless its a digital copy free of copy protection, but because of piracy they will almost never sell you a digital copy without some kind of protection and the most effective one is making you have to access your copy with a certain service or subscription).

    As the digital business grows, cases like this will become much more frequent. Things like that, along with personal preference for physical products, will ensure that there will always be a market for physical products.
    Last edited by rereboy; March 18th, 2013 at 03:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts