+ Reply to Thread
Page 271 of 844 FirstFirst ... 171 221 261 269 270 271 272 273 281 321 371 771 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,420 of 16871

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san 1, Cross Manage 1, Date-senpai 2 did not rank in the top 50. Based on Oosakaya and other sales data, they should have sold something like this:

Cross Manage 1: 14,000~16,000
    Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san 1: 8000~10,000
    Retsu!! Date-senpai 2: Less than 5000

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

The early pre-orders for Shokugeki no Souma are amazing.

My current prediction for Souma volume 1 first week: 80,000~100,000

Source: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/78903-Weekly-Shonen-Jump-2012-2013-Discussion-and-TOC-Talk-Part-4?p=3348350&viewfull=1#post3348350

Can anyone explain the situation with OP right now?

The magazine was out since yesterday, right? Isn't the chapter already finished by that time? They found out he was sick at the very last moment, otherwise it wouldn't have such a surprise.

Discovered Stowaway

Isn't Oda like 3 chapters ahead always?

They probably have the chapter but since Oda will be taking a week off due to being sick, they decided to put One Piece on hold this week so that it doesn't hurt Oda in the long run. That way its like his sickness never interfered with his work.

That or the chapter actually wasn't ready.

Aohige probably knows more than i do but i think that WSJ has to have a certain amount of chapters in advance, i think it is 4. If they had published a chapter while Oda could not send them chapter 706, they would only have 3 chapters in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawhat Chan View Post
    Can anyone explain the situation with OP right now?
    Oda got sick. Not much more to it than that.

Isn't the chapter already finished by that time? They found out he was sick at the very last moment, otherwise it wouldn't have such a surprise.
    If Oda's usual way of doing things is 3 days of storyboarding, and then four days of art, he could easily have had 10 or 12 pages done and been on normal track before getting full blown sick. If he'd gotten it earlier in the week they may have been able to schedule better/not print the TOC the way they did.

(A magazine that large has to get printed in chunks to go out on time. Color pieces and the cover/inside front cover are due earlier than the rest of the mag, for instance.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sewil View Post
    Isn't Oda like 3 chapters ahead always?
    No. He's three weeks ahead of the *readers*, not the magazine. Printing and shipping take about three weeks, and its part of the reason we get leaks so far ahead of the actual release date.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Aohige probably knows more than i do but i think that WSJ has to have a certain amount of chapters in advance, i think it is 4. If they had published a chapter while Oda could not send them chapter 706, they would only have 3 chapters in advance.
    No, that's not it at all. Printing and shipping take the time. The artists aren't ahead and don't have a buffer at all. (Well, gag manga like Kochikame can have one or two in stock, but most can't)

If that were the case Hiatus x Hiatus would be in a very different boat than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rereboy View Post
    They probably have the chapter but since Oda will be taking a week off due to being sick, they decided to put One Piece on hold this week so that it doesn't hurt Oda in the long run. That way its like his sickness never interfered with his work.
    That makes no sense at all. Either way a week is missed.

That or the chapter actually wasn't ready.
    It's that one.
    Last edited by Robby; March 14th, 2013 at 05:41 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I don't get what you're saying.

Let's say Oda finishes drawing a chapter today, when does that chapter get sold to the public? It sounds like you're saying 3 weeks from now.

But if Oda got sick TODAY, then doesn't that mean the issue three weeks from now is the one with the problem? I was under the impression Oda got sick NOW, and not three weeks ago. But correct me if I'm misunderstanding something.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbasis View Post
    I don't get what you're saying.

Let's say Oda finishes drawing a chapter today, when does that chapter get sold to the public? It sounds like you're saying 3 weeks from now.
    Yes.

But if Oda got sick TODAY, then doesn't that mean the issue three weeks from now is the one with the problem? I was under the impression Oda got sick NOW, and not three weeks ago. But correct me if I'm misunderstanding something.
    The notification that he got sick was in the issue that just came out. (that doesn't actually hit shelves until Monday.)

So Oda was sick three weeks ago and we're only now finding out about it. He's probably been fine since the start of March.

It was announced in the printed magazine to explain why there was no chapter, not today on the local news. Because... he got a cold. Its NOT big news, and it won't affect anything long term.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

That explains everything then

fuckin oda lazy cunt y didnt he just wright another chapter to make up 4 it if hes 3 weeks ahead wtf

Just out of curiosity, we don't have any data on Jump sales, right?

I wonder how having One Piece AND Naruto absent in the same issue would affect sales.

IIRC, when One Piece went on that 4 week break before the time skip, Jump's circulation dropped by 60,000.

Now i get it.. Thanks Robby Bevart. If that so, then in the next week issue, we should get a note from Oda in the TOC, saying he is fine by now, but in fact, it was since 3 weeks ago.
    Last edited by Ping; March 15th, 2013 at 09:18 AM.

Yes.

Magazines don't get dropped off by magic fairies the day they're finished, they take time to actually produce the physical product.

Although this does raise the question as to if there's anything stopping AMerican wsj from coming out before Japan besides stubborness on the japanese side. Honestly it'd make more sense from a business perspective to try to get them out before scanlations, and since its region locked I don't know that it could really effect Japanese sales at all. Still don't think it'll ever happen due to the aforemented stubborness though

Isn't the only thing that's going to accomplish, is pirates getting hold of WSJ Alpha early and leaking out the scanned copies of WSJA even earlier?
    WSJA also doesn't magically appear on shelves brought by a fairy on the shelf date, right?

Or is the simul release online only?

American jump is digital release only now.

And yes, giving pirates digital copies even sooner is not going to help matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    Although this does raise the question as to if there's anything stopping AMerican wsj from coming out before Japan besides stubborness on the japanese side. Honestly it'd make more sense from a business perspective to try to get them out before scanlations, and since its region locked I don't know that it could really effect Japanese sales at all. Still don't think it'll ever happen due to the aforemented stubborness though
    Region lock doesn't stop people from downloading the files and then reuploading them elsehwhere.

Hell, the pages being in a printed magazine doesn't prevent them from getting online 5 days before shelf date.

That's... not "stubborness". What you're suggesting is pure reckless "here ya go pirates! Giftwrapped and translated and sized and everything!"

What on earth makes you think the translated foreign market english release should officially come out SOONER than the official Japanese (native country!) release? we're lucky enough they've gotten it down from the (paranoid) three weeks down to day-of!

Hell, the official Viz versions coming out on the actual release date is probably the only thing keeping scanlators from just bootlegging those versions already.

Japan's scared enough of the digital era transition as is (and rightly so). Just think of how big a stink it was when a OP anime episode leaked a day or two early due to the Viz server being hacked... and thats stuff they air on tv for free!
    Last edited by Robby; March 15th, 2013 at 10:52 AM.

Since it's digital only, I don't see how pirates could steal it til it's put online. People will find ways to take it, sure, but at least they'd be able to atch the pirate's speed. So the only real issue is if people in Japan would start using the pirated copies instead of buying jump, and I feel like that wouldn't be as common (especially given the number of kids who buy jump in Japan)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    Since it's digital only, I don't see how pirates could steal it til it's put online. People will find ways to take it, sure, but at least they'd be able to atch the pirate's speed. So the only real issue is if people in Japan would start using the pirated copies instead of buying jump, and I feel like that wouldn't be as common (especially given the number of kids who buy jump in Japan)
    You're suggesting the digital releases come out before the scanlations.

That would be more than a week ahead of the actual printed book hitting shelves. So you''re suggesting that it be online a week early.

Remember, we get the scans *early*, not after the books are already on sale.

And of COURSE the Japanese will go for the pirated copies to get their stories a week early! We have official day-of releases translated by Stephen now, and STILL most of this highly dedicated board uses the illegal bootleg versions because its a couple days faster... no matter how shitty mangapanda's translations might be. And we're the *dedicated* fans that *want* to support the series!

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    You're suggesting the digital releases come out before the scanlations.

That would be more than a week ahead of the actual printed book hitting shelves. So you''re suggesting that it be online a week early.

Remember, we get the scans *early*, not after the books are already on sale.

And of COURSE the Japanese will go for the pirated copies to get their stories a week early! We have official day-of releases translated by Stephen now, and STILL most of this highly dedicated board uses the illegal bootleg versions because its a couple days faster... no matter how shitty mangapanda's translations might be. And we're the *dedicated* fans that *want* to support the series!
    The question here is how many people in Japans pirate the raws that come out early in general (because those already exist)? How many Japanese fans scanlate through the english pirated versions (because they could already do that) The american anime/manga community has had a history of scanlation and piracy, so I;m not sure the situations are equivalent. And how many people here have been reading scans since they were kids? Most people got into this stuff through the official releases and got into scans as we got older (So the kids who buy shonen jump probably wouldn't begin to look for scans). I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, just that the situations are pretty different at the moment and I'm not convinced piracy like that will affect them much more than it already would have. Again, I doubt it will happen, I'm just not convinced there's a good reason

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information