+ Reply to Thread
Page 266 of 843 FirstFirst ... 166 216 256 264 265 266 267 268 276 316 366 766 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,320 of 16860

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Shipmate

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Not this again.

It was never a stated issue for Togashi to go in hiatus due to an illness. Dude just happily lives for the sake of his family, for his own sake and for the sake of Dragon Quest franchise. Manga is just a side hobby for him now, that coincidentally brings him millions of yen income and has such incredible demand on the market that Shueisha will go to any length imaginable to keep him as their mangaka and not lose him to another publisher that could offer him even more ridiculous conditions.

Miura on the other hand is just mangaka working on a monthly schedule but publishing in a biweekly magazine. His output in the last years has been quite steadily a volume a year/year and a half with some slowing down due to his consulting of the new anime franchise studio. Miura is a bachelor and his manga is his life's work that he put his utmost effort into which is easily seen from his art.

Quote Originally Posted by valiantt View Post
    I can understand Miura's reasoning why and he provides excellent solo art
    Have you seen any first page of a Berserk chapter? There is always this huge "Kentarou Miura and Studio Gaga" sign. Miura has assistants helping him out and has more than an understandable reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade View Post
    Have you seen any first page of a Berserk chapter? There is always this huge "Kentarou Miura and Studio Gaga" sign. Miura has assistants helping him out and has more than an understandable reason for it.
    Huh, so that he does. Well you're the first the correct me on this after so many years of me going around and saying this. Wonder why no one else bothered to correct me. How embarrassing.

And in regards to your comments on Togashi's lifestyle...
    I agree that family is important and all, but that shouldn't give you a valid excuse for being a lazy ass. I'm sure these other artists have families too, but that isn't impeding them from "working" and taking their occupations seriously. I'm sure Oda can pull a Togashi and just say, "Fuck this comic, I want vacation time for an entire year" and Jump will probably let him. Instead, it is pretty clear Oda takes his job seriously and values his readership.

PS I'm pretty sure I read up somewhere that he had issues with his hand or was sick on some other occasions. I think that was stated at least. Someone else out there correct me if I am wrong since I suppose I keep reading up on bullshit without any legit info.

I wonder how many chapters Togashi has to write this time before Jump decide to release what they have in stock.

Last time, I think it was 30. I hope for at least the same number next time.

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

Yeah there's been instances where it's been said he's in poor health for some hiatuses, and whilst injury's less... stated, I guess?, he has been known to complain of the strain of doing weekly work since the 90s, to be sure.

Also side-note on the assistant thing, his wife does actually help on the title, and is known to have done a fair bit of the colour work, if I'm recalling that correctly.

But the accusations of cancer and long-term illnesses and stuff are just the idle speculation of types who'll believe anything, like that Zombie Powder was popular and Kubo was just a troubled artist, or that Dragon Ball AF is a real thing.

As for accusations of being unprofessional? I call bullshit, as Weekly Shonen Jump is a pretty harsh mistress and often removes the social life of those working in it (y'all remember the Nura guy's schedule? Mental). To be in a position where your popularity is sound and you're able to spend time with your wife and kids, in a magazine that can be that difficult to not only work in, but to perform well in? Fuckin' EARNT.

Hunter Pirate Poet Friend of Luffy and Gon's Avatar

Obviously Togashi is in a position to manipulate hiatus as he sees fit. Other big shounen jump mangaka could probably do it to. If Oda did and we know he wouldn't but if he did it's not like he couldn't just say "what about Togashi", and cite how he sells better etc. But Oda wouldn't do that.

Someone mentioned Beet the Vandel Buster earlier. Yeah I am a huge fan. I love Dai no Daiboken but I preferred Beet in the same way I love yyh but prefer hxh.

To be fair though I would rather Beet stay with all the potential it had than have not been on hiatus and go the way Bleach did. My imagination to this day still works ferociously with regards to how the other five 7 star Vandels would be beaten, if one of them (Noa) would even choose to fight and whatever was going on with those demon eyeball god things.

Anyway I look forward to Hxh returning, and in a way the hiatus gives me something to really really get excited about now and again. I love reading One Piece every week but the releases are so regular they can be taken for granted. It's the only weekly release I get that excited about, and some of that excitement is absorbed by my expectations of Naruto and Bleach being well maybe a bit shit.

We need a banner at the top of the subforum that reads MIURA DOES USE ASSISTANTS in big bold letters

Last edited by Robby; March 2nd, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

But... but the ground is WHITE BLANK! What a lazy bum that Miura.

You just don't understand his art. The minimalistic art represents Gon's emptiness without his father!

Berserk volumes don't have nearly enough artless splotches of screentone for MY taste

Why yes, I AM still angry I got swindled buying the latest Hunter x Hunter vol.

Wasn't it only that one chapter with Kite he didn't redraw for the tank? 'cause I kinda dug the unreal 'what the hell is going on here' effect, unintentional as it may have been.

Which HxH chapter is the panel that Robby posted from?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy B View Post
    But the accusations of cancer and long-term illnesses and stuff are just the idle speculation of types who'll believe anything, like that Zombie Powder was popular and Kubo was just a troubled artist, or that Dragon Ball AF is a real thing.

As for accusations of being unprofessional? I call bullshit, as Weekly Shonen Jump is a pretty harsh mistress and often removes the social life of those working in it (y'all remember the Nura guy's schedule? Mental). To be in a position where your popularity is sound and you're able to spend time with your wife and kids, in a magazine that can be that difficult to not only work in, but to perform well in? Fuckin' EARNT.
    You might have a point except that
    1. Togashi chose this career path and has chosen to continue on it. Whether the amount of time mangaka spend for weekly releases is insane or not, the fact that he refuses to do his job on a regular basis is certainly unproffesional. Togashi could go to another magazine (either outside shueisha, or even just a monthly magazine). Unless he has a very good excuse that makes it impossible for him to draw, that's really unprofessional
    2. Fixing things in volumes (which he isn't even doing anymore) doesn't change the fact that he's giving absolute scribbles to weekly readers. In fact, it almost compounds the insult and says "I know you read it already, but if you want art that is somewhat decent you'll need to cough up more cash". I'm not saying Togashi is intentionally oing this to make more people buy the volumes, but at this point, if he won't even put in effort weekly when he isn't on hiatus, he might as well just release volumes and stop running in Jump altogether.
    3. Togashi does nothing to make his life easier. He has no assistants. He could go monthly as well. He could find someone to do the art, which would put a lot of the load off of him as well as stop the scribbles. It doesn't even need to be an amazing artist, since Togashi was never more than decent himself. There are a ton of ways TOgashi could make things easier on himself instead of skipping off of work for long periods of time, but he chooses NONE of them

I'm thankful to Togashi. He provided us with that image, and now it can just be used as shorthand rather than saying all those things every time.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Would *you* hire assistants when you know how small your output is? It'd be a waste of money and a useless experience for the assistants themselves.

I'll agree that he should move to another magazine, but one does wonder if Shueisha look at his ongoing popularity and sales when he does get published in Jump, and choose to keep him there, regardless of the hiatuses. He's super-popular and junk It'd be interesting to see if he has any impact on circulation numbers when he's in the anthology compared to normal. To say nothing of the fact that it's a symbiotic situation that might be replicatable anywhere else. Like the SQ editorial team might not be willing to chance it with him (unlikely, given that they have so many authors who can't put out material on a regular basis, but it's an example)
    As for someoen else doing the art, authors tend to be attached to their own creations, so i can't see it. Though I do wonder, how many creators in manga switch artists mid-publication. Or alternately, how relaunches with different artists like some of the Nagai sequels and junk do compared to the material as handled by the original creator.

Those are all good arguments, but they can all be balanced out. It's all incredibly awkward. And I'm still more inclined to respect Togashi for making sure to have time for his actual life (video game addictions aside), instead of going through the painful process so many other creators do, even if it does make him seem a bit of an arse to his (still incredibly willing) audience

Quote Originally Posted by valiantt View Post
    That's pretty much his own damn fault though. He COULD have assistants like any normal artist (or...there is his Sailor Moon Wife too),
    You know, what happened to her? Apparently she hasn't made anything since 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
    You know, what happened to her? Apparently she hasn't made anything since 2006.
    Kids, family, not actually ever needing to work again because Sailor Moon is a ridiculously big franchise. Stuff like that, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    It does, but not for long term. Isn't that obvious?
    Oneshots are one thing, but if a serialization ends, something has to take its place.
    no no...my point was about no. of serializations running...is it constant,so that to put one up another has to be scrapped...?
    more precisely,say HXH is on hiatus as usual and in the meantime all new series that started are actually gaining popularity..mixing up with Gintama,Bleach,Beelzabub(and perhaps Naruto,to make forumers here happy) etc....we are seeing unusual bottom five and ever fluctuating....what happens then when HXH comes back....?..sure they can't force old mangas to end(heck,they couldn't even forced Bleach to end) and canned down potentially good new ones....

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gliblord View Post
    We need a banner at the top of the subforum that reads MIURA DOES USE ASSISTANTS in big bold letters
    Miura waste lot of times by playing Idolmaster...

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gliblord View Post
    Miura waste lot of times by playing Idolmaster...

In theory the HxH spot is always open, with it being worth the extra 20 pages shueisha'd have to add for it, and i think there have been instances of it returning and not having a series cancelled at the same time, but I'd have to actually check and I am exceptionally lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    You might have a point except that
    1. Togashi chose this career path and has chosen to continue on it. Whether the amount of time mangaka spend for weekly releases is insane or not, the fact that he refuses to do his job on a regular basis is certainly unproffesional. Togashi could go to another magazine (either outside shueisha, or even just a monthly magazine). Unless he has a very good excuse that makes it impossible for him to draw, that's really unprofessional
    Many series of weekly magazines don't have a weekly schedule. Take the Morning from Kodansha, half of its series are not weekly. Billy Bat had only 22 chapters in 2012 and nobody calls Urasawa unprofessional. It's just that it is more uncommon for mangaka of the Shonen Jump that Tagashi stands out. The sketchy art is something else but last time it was only 2 chapters and one of them was even quite cool this way.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information