+ Reply to Thread
Page 264 of 844 FirstFirst ... 164 214 254 262 263 264 265 266 274 314 364 764 ... LastLast
Results 5,261 to 5,280 of 16867

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Well, the scanlators do keep the "weird" aspect, but as a spanish native, reading an english translation of a japanesse comic book, who learned english by videogames and crappy school system that had to explain the verb to-be every year, I can't judge the way they speak.

So, Aohige, out of curiosity... what's the deal with Kochikame? Obviously its run for 37 years and never missed a single week and has hundreds of volumes and is Jumps third all-time best seller so its got icon status and so its rankings don't matter in the least because it'll never be canceled, but it always seems to be ranked pretty low.

I'm sure its one of those things where its just unimaginable to not have it in there, but what do kids actually think about it? It doesn't really get scanlated (due to the length I assume) so I haven't read very much much of it and no one (on English forums anyway) ever talks about it. Sort of the same thing with Sazae-san, which I know is an institution and does huge every week.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Well, I can see it not doing well with kids in general, there's a lot of retro-good old days reminiscing done.
    It also deals with a lot of current events that may not interest kids in general.

It's also one of those "well it's gonna be here anyways there's really no point voting for it" deal as well.
    The tanks sell just fine, and WSJ is never going to cancel the series.

Last week's chapter was dealing with one of those "hidden resort cliche" some older businessmen like to go to.
    Before that was about how Ryotsu and others are hardcore into plastic model cars, dating back to their childhood, and how the insanely-rich guy had custom plastic models made, but he's an experienced driver and manufacturer of real sports cars and handles it exactly the same way, and the cops are exchanging how different their experiences are on what's supposed to be the same subject.... see what I mean? Not really for 10 year olds. It's aimed for more like... like for MY age group. LOL.

Hell the one from couple month ago was about "how Japanese businesses take down Christmas decorations as soon as Christmas ends, when other countries enjoy the holiday spirit for a lot longer. Hey I have an idea, let's try creating a Christmas town and try to franchise Christmas-themed business all year long, there's so many products wasted after the holiday, we can pull in merchandises dirt cheap!". Not exactly screaming "shounen manga" lol.
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; February 28th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.

That clears it up, thanks. I figured it was kind of an older audience/doesn't need votes sort of thing, just wondered why such a long time perennial is so often low.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Btw, I enjoy reading Kochikame. I always have.
    It's never one of those titles that makes you excited, but it's also never boring for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    ohboy.
    Looking at the next issue preview page, Medaka seems like wrapping up.
    16 characters of FINALLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    Wow, that was surprisingly a nice read.

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

Real talk the recent Kochikame inspired by the disney transformers was my favourite manga chapter so far in this year on concept alone

Kochikame can be hard as heck to try and read 'cause A) i'm awful and 2) I don't get all the references, but it's always struck me as such a pleasant read, Although i've only been keeping up with it since the special book for Kochikame's 30th birthday (still the best anniversary book ever). It's totally made Akimoto one of my favourite authors, between it and all the one-shots he does

Oh yeah, the Chou-goukin Disney Gattai Robot was awesome.
    It was pretty timely too, I think the chapter came out right before the robot went on sale, if I'm not mistaken.

And tbh, the quality of the figure was pretty badass.

EDIT: Nope, looks like figure isn't out yet. End of March. lol

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

Wow I thought it had been out for a while. I guess Akimoto lives up to his reputation of being super punctual with his subject matter, too!

From what I read on this board, doesn't Akimoto pretty much run his comic like a business so pretty much he is on the top of everything (current events, weekly chapter releases, etc...)?

Though it pretty much sounds like the Simpsons of Japan: slice of life comic, new story each week, won't get un-plugged until the author says so, buuuut unlike Simpsons, it seems to be retaining its quality (at least from what I read).

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

Your statement about the Simpson made me sad. The first ten season were so great.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

I'm sorry...the Simpsons really is tragic. Fortunately for Kochikame, it is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
    16 characters of FINALLY.
    A thought entered my mind.

RIIIIIIING RIIIIIIING *click*
    Sadistic Editor: Hey, sorry to call you up so late at night. Togashi sensei said he's coming back from hiatus in a few weeks, so we need a spot open. Can you wrap yours up? kthxbye *click*
    Nishio: .............
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; March 1st, 2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: and yes the same 2ch WSJ survival thread post is mine *grin*

I will accept that it as ended when it will have ended.Everyone said the same thing back at chapter 140 and we got two story arcs after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    A thought entered my mind.

RIIIIIIING RIIIIIIING *click*
    Sadistic Editor: Hey, sorry to call you up so late at night. Togashi sensei said he's coming back from hiatus in a few weeks, so we need a spot open. Can you wrap yours up? kthxbye *click*
    Nishio: .............
    This thought was lingering in my mind that another serie is nudged off to make space for HxH's possible return.

Well, with next chapter, Medaka Box will have exactly the number of unpublished chapters for 2 volumes (2 x 9 chapters like almost all its volumes).
    So the odds are quite high for an ending next chapter.

Hunter Pirate Poet Friend of Luffy and Gon's Avatar

I'm a bit bored so am thinking of continuing Medaka Box again, I dropped it like yesterday at chapter 131. Maybe I am just compulsive with as much WSJ manga I can possibly read lol. It will be interesting to join this thread to keep up to date and spot any new potentials via one shots etc.

In before Nisio pulls a Nisio (another one).

I was fairly enoying Medaka Box, but when it kept going after the election I felt instantly burnt out. I tried to enjoy the next arcs...But ugh. I really wish it would have ended back then. I stopped somewhere in the middle of the Mr. Fresh fight. No idea what's going on. Also it was just a tad too wordy for me. The word game stuff nearly killed me. If it's ending soon I'll have to try and finish it.

Is it just a rumor that Togashi might come out of Hiatus?

I can't look it up cause I'm at work, but was Souma a cooking manga? Is it slice of life or super natural?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information