+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 843 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 526 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

It's pretty disheartening to look at that list and see, aside from the mainstays, the small number of series that have over a hundred chapters.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post
    Dare I say , Swot is dead ?

I tried reading the oneshot for it recently and got bored as fuck midway through .
    Good call. It bombed from day 1, so the author apparently got told to shake up the series a bit... so now there's maids and magic ninja powers.

No seriously. It's such a trainwreck it's amusing to see just how much worse it can get.

Kinda like Medaka Box.....but that actually got sorta good after a while.

Kuroko's Basketball
    Medaka Box
    Nurarihyon no Mago
    Psyren

I don't see the appeal of any of these, according to Bakuman, JUMP is the best magazine for manga. Can someone explain why these do well in the rankings?

Shipmate

Kuroko is the only sports manga in the current Jump, so it gets a boost every time it miserably fails.

Medaka is a half assed collaboration with supposed to be popular Nishio Ishin.

Psyren had a promising concept and interesting development only to turn to cliched battle manga.

Nurarihyon is actually good, has a traditional japanese mythology thematics and a very nice art, and has a running anime.

That's it.

And Psyren doesn't do well in rankings. It's farting around the bottom half the time, and seems to be forcefully concluding now away.

(actually, scratch that - since this thread got started, there's been like one issue where Psyren wasn't in the bottom 5. It's Medaka that's only been in the bottom 5 half the time)
    Last edited by Adamant; October 5th, 2010 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade View Post
    Kuroko is the only sports manga in the current Jump, so it gets a boost every time it miserably fails.

Medaka is a half assed collaboration with supposed to be popular Nishio Ishin.

Psyren had a promising concept and interesting development only to turn to cliched battle manga.

Nurarihyon is actually good, has a traditional japanese mythology thematics and a very nice art, and has a running anime.

That's it.
    Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one. I did only give Kuroku a 1 chapter chance but I was 100% turned off. I had to google that Ishin guy, and Psyren just bugs me cuz i agree, the original idea was pretty awesome. I just can't get into Nurarihyon, because I'm ignorant of the mythology behind it and I dislike not knowing approximately how powerful a character or at least in comparison to other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Good call. It bombed from day 1, so the author apparently got told to shake up the series a bit... so now there's maids and magic ninja powers.

No seriously. It's such a trainwreck it's amusing to see just how much worse it can get.
    Realy ? Well might as well check out a recent chapter , if availible .

Indiscriminate Grappler Gokuyuske's Avatar

I just read the two most recent chapters of SWOT.

I have to say that it's gotten worse. I mean, the first few chapters I read were already quite bad, but now, well, it's just pathetic. The art is terrible, the plot is incredibly stereotypical and bad and the author has just thrown in HxH's Nen to make his series more interesting and mysterious, while all it does is create the flimsiest of illusions of complexity. And the main character? He's incredibly boring! His one standout feature is supposed to be his intelligence, but he never even comes across as smart! Ugh.

Cool Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBatDive! View Post

I don't see the appeal of any of these, according to Bakuman, JUMP is the best magazine for manga.
    Bakuman is published in JUMP, of course they won't say that another magazine is better.
    I don't know for the other magazine, but most of Jump is mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukishima View Post
    Bakuman is published in JUMP, of course they won't say that another magazine is better.
    I don't know for the other magazine, but most of Jump is mediocre at best.
    I think they probably mean in terms of circulation.
    We all know that Jump used to boast great manga like DB and Slam Dunk.

Jump, love it or hate it, is the best selling shonen magazine in the country and therefore the world.

But only because of One Piece.

to me jump is an overrated magazine that lives off the big three and cuts off any other manga either good or bad that doesn't make money... fast, which in turn leaves less room for authors to work on their story and focus more on whats main stream and popular which makes for a much more stereotypical and ununique manga. Yeah jump is fuckin mediocre.
    Last edited by Narutossss; October 6th, 2010 at 03:01 AM.

Hmm, Jump's treatment of new manga reminds me of Fox's treatment of new shows.

They barely give new shows a chance while they cling on to the stuff that's successful to them (in Fox's case, The Simpsons, House, American Idol, Seth McFarlane). Sometimes there's a new series that catches everyone's eye and does really well (in Fox's case, Glee) but outside of the occasional hit most of the shows are left to die.

Shipmate

Most Shonen magazines have mediocre or even worse line up. It's seinen anthologies that have higher overall quality - Morning, Afternoon and Ultra Jump.

seinen > shonen discussion again..

Shipmate

Where do you see something like that. It was about overall anthology quality, not about demographic genre preferences.

I don't get why people think WSJ is mediocre . the only shonen series that i could say i like outside of WSJ is FMA and Negima, please note that many great series is running in WSJ like HXH, One piece and Fist of North Star. current WSJ line up wasn't really bad either (outside naruto and bleach).

Quote Originally Posted by Narutossss View Post
    to me jump is an overrated magazine that lives off the big three and cuts off any other manga either good or bad that doesn't make money... fast, which in turn leaves less room for authors to work on their story and focus more on whats main stream and popular which makes for a much more stereotypical and ununique manga. Yeah jump is fuckin mediocre.
    yeah but those stereotypical manga is usually dies pretty fast this day.

Quote Originally Posted by left4lol View Post
    I don't get why people think WSJ is mediocre . the only shonen series that i could say i like outside of WSJ is FMA and Negima, please note that many great series is running in WSJ like HXH, One piece and Fist of North Star. current WSJ line up wasn't really bad either (outside naruto and bleach).

yeah but those stereotypical manga is usually dies pretty fast this day.
    because they are adult now.. kids manga is not good enough for them.. too childish.. simple and not complex.

Quote Originally Posted by BatDan View Post
    Hmm, Jump's treatment of new manga reminds me of Fox's treatment of new shows.

They barely give new shows a chance while they cling on to the stuff that's successful to them (in Fox's case, The Simpsons, House, American Idol, Seth McFarlane). Sometimes there's a new series that catches everyone's eye and does really well (in Fox's case, Glee) but outside of the occasional hit most of the shows are left to die.
    Any powerhouse going for profit acts like this because it's the only thing to do that makes sense. Unlike smaller networks Fox can deal with the loss of investment in a new show if it doesn't meet their standards of money-making, which really sucks for shows like Arrested Development that deserve all the screen time in the world. In a slightly different way, Jump wants to be the best, so they cut out anything that's not popular enough because they will always have those five or six manga that propel it through anything. It's not like all corporations are evil; they're just doing what they do. I wish both could give new things with promise a little more chance, but then we'd end up with shit floating around for years too. It's hard to find a good balance.

And with Weekly Shonen Magazine, the next biggest anthology, the big four is Fairy Tail, Negima, Air Gear, and Ippo (correct me if I'm wrong). From the list of the best even, I really wouldn't be too excited about each new issue. Those first three are not my style.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information