+ Reply to Thread
Page 239 of 843 FirstFirst ... 139 189 229 237 238 239 240 241 249 289 339 739 ... LastLast
Results 4,761 to 4,780 of 16860

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

  1. #4761

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy B View Post

    And finally Kujira Daigo. Was he really that big? Yeah
    http://www.mandarake.co.jp/informati...21nkn08/p1.jpg
    http://ameblo.jp/books01/image-10434...376651143.html
    http://ameblo.jp/books01/image-10434...376651140.html

    As for why it only lasted two volumes? Short series were pretty par for the course for Weekly Shonen Jump until the last two decades, where they started going out of style big time. I think a lot of it was authors taking up the chance to appear in this new replacement for Shonen Book, committing for short-term creations just to help get it going, at least in the first few years.

    Oof, this thread is quickly turning into "maxy has too much free time" ahahaha.

    EDIT: OH! Rights issues, yeah. It happens occasionally, with stuff like all of Go Nagai's output basically being out of shueisha's hands, and with a few other authors who took their titles to other companies, but by and large I think a lot of titles just don't get modern reprints because A) they won't sell and 2) the sheer output of the time and everything the art would have had to survive through probably means the original art needed for decent quality releases is either destroyed or lost. It's a sad part of weekly magazines from before the digital age. Weirdly, some old unreprinted titles have pretty decent tank raws out on the net (or used to, rawscans' closure's removed a lot of those from the board), so Shueisha would almost benefit from them if they wanted to turn around and rerelease something.
    Ok, I instantly am interested ! But from what you said I gather that the two volumes for Kujira Daigo are probably realy rare nowadays, so I don't think anyone would actualy destroy them just to scan them.

    I also meant more on the side of digital release on their sites/e-readers/whatever for a fee. Heck american comicbook companies do that, even for free, with some of their 30 plus year series and I think alot of folks might check this stuff out both as a curiosity and because it's a part of the medium's history.

    Also may I say Jump's 1st cover was realy awful ? I mean the race ca driver/whatever that thing is looks so dead and zombie like.

    And don't mind that, you're doing a great job here :D

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    I take it that maybe longer series becoming a prefference might have something to do with the increase of merchandising possibilities ?

  2. #4762
    Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East Sussex, United Kingdom

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Ah, well digital's a lot simpler. Shueisha and Square Enix are starting to embrace it now, but in a country where the elderly rule such change is slow at best. I think if there's a substantial enough push and we see a real digital service from Shueisha they could handle a lot of their back catalog, but the quality will continue to dictate what they do. Companies hold a lot of stock in presenting readable material, and I don't know that they'd be willing to use whatever they can get their hands on to make the digital pages. Which is a shame, because I'd want such a thing soooo bad.

    Back on physical copies though, one thing I can love is that even with a rare series in tanks the prices for beaten-up copies is comparable to, hmm... Okay.
    So Kujira Daigo on amazon japan's sellers list goes for about 5500 yen local delivery (6500ish to most other countries). That's... ooh, £45.00, give or take. Not a bad price for two ancient volumes, even ones sun-faded, a little torn and dirty. That's really not that bad. But for the sake of comparison I'll stick it next to a more popular ancient OOP series like... (takes forever to find a popular old series that's not been reprinted at least once what the hell)... oh duh, Kouya no Shounen Isamu, where a single volume takes 3000 yen alone, from the 1987 reprint, no less. Daigo, for what it is, comes off okay with its ridiculous rarity pricetag.

    Except now I've learnt that trying to own all of Isamu is also a crazy pipe-dream. oof. At least that's one where I can just slink off towards raws of it till it gets reprinted again one day.


  3. #4763

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy B View Post
    Ah, well digital's a lot simpler. Shueisha and Square Enix are starting to embrace it now, but in a country where the elderly rule such change is slow at best. I think if there's a substantial enough push and we see a real digital service from Shueisha they could handle a lot of their back catalog, but the quality will continue to dictate what they do. Companies hold a lot of stock in presenting readable material, and I don't know that they'd be willing to use whatever they can get their hands on to make the digital pages. Which is a shame, because I'd want such a thing soooo bad.

    Back on physical copies though, one thing I can love is that even with a rare series in tanks the prices for beaten-up copies is comparable to, hmm... Okay.
    So Kujira Daigo on amazon japan's sellers list goes for about 5500 yen local delivery (6500ish to most other countries). That's... ooh, £45.00, give or take. Not a bad price for two ancient volumes, even ones sun-faded, a little torn and dirty. That's really not that bad. But for the sake of comparison I'll stick it next to a more popular ancient OOP series like... (takes forever to find a popular old series that's not been reprinted at least once what the hell)... oh duh, Kouya no Shounen Isamu, where a single volume takes 3000 yen alone, from the 1987 reprint, no less. Daigo, for what it is, comes off okay with its ridiculous rarity pricetag.

    Except now I've learnt that trying to own all of Isamu is also a crazy pipe-dream. oof. At least that's one where I can just slink off towards raws of it till it gets reprinted again one day.
    Beats having these series fall into total obscurity, especialy the ones that Jump got their start on. Heck seeing how KD is only two volumes I have to wonder why they didn't reprint this or anything of the era in some kinda anniversary collection when the 40 year anniversary came round.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    I have a bit of a question. Reading Sakigake Otokojuku has made me wonder, exactly how popular was this series during it's run ? Is there any way to tell ?

  4. #4764
    Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East Sussex, United Kingdom

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    in the toc, yeah, there's Starman: http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~starman/ go from 1985 to 1991 and search for 魁!!男塾 and you'll see where it ranked for its entire run.
    Sales-wise? about 26 million lifetime sales as of the last decade, which is well within the top 50 all-time manga sales for shueisha. I have an old graphic from... maybe 2006/7? That has sales figures for that sorta thing. I'll up it onto here at some point.

    EDIT: I'm efficient!
    Last edited by Maxy B; January 8th, 2013 at 04:54 AM.


  5. #4765
    Discovered Stowaway IgorGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brazil

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    I thought we'd have a new Jump today. Is it only due next Wednesday?

  6. #4766

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Yes, double issue, end of year and all that.

  7. #4767
    Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East Sussex, United Kingdom

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by IgorGB View Post
    I thought we'd have a new Jump today. Is it only due next Wednesday?
    I'm fairly sure the street date is the end of that week, but it's a safe bet that pirates'll have it by then, being who they are. I mean it's their fault there's been this huge gap between the last double issue and this online, impatient so and sos

    EDIT: Zeromcd from Mangahelpers posted up Weekly Shonen Jump tank sales from more than the three days ANN covered:

    December 31 ~ January 6 Jump Comic sales
    *1 -- *,287,331 *,861,704  - NARUTO 63
    *2 -- *,264,810 *,883,874  - HUNTER×HUNTER 32
    *5 -- *,146,752 *,347,378  - Assassination Classroom 2
    *6 -- *,121,256 *,121,256  - Haikyuu!! 4
    *8 -- *,*98,833 *,*98,833  - Nisekoi 5
    10 -- *,*52,177 1,009,216  - HUNTER×HUNTER 31
    13 -- *,*45,732 *,503,217  - Assassination Classroom 1
    17 -- *,*41,997 *,*41,997  - PSI Kusuo Saiki 3
    19 -- *,*39,285 2,763,410  - ONE PIECE 68
    21 -- *,*37,912 *,*37,912  - Koisome Momiji 3
    31 -- *,*31,145 *,*31,145  - Kurogane 7
    34 -- *,*27,738 *,614,163  - Kuroko no Basket 20
    47 -- *,*19,140 *,387,958  - Toriko 22

    Newly released volumes debuted with only 3 days on the chart.

    Retsu!! Date-senpai 1, Takahamagara 1, Takamagahara 2 did not rank the oricon top 50. Based on the Oosakaya top 500, both series would not have sold more than 3000 copies in there first week anyway.
    Takamagahara's complete failure doesn't bode well for the Viz editions, I'd say. Impressive performances from million-sellers Assassination Classroom & Haikyuu, too.
    Last edited by Maxy B; January 9th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.


  8. #4768

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    from Juin Jutsu Team in mangahelpers

    just some extra from jump #06-07 waiting for issue #08:


  9. #4769

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    uhh, there is no chapter next week either, am I right?

  10. #4770

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by ShimpanzeeThat View Post
    uhh, there is no chapter next week either, am I right?
    We have, actually.

  11. #4771

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    We have, actually.
    I hope so, I need my OPiece fix.. but I've heard the next release date for Shonen Jump is 21 Jan, I hope I am wrong!

  12. #4772
    Cyclops was right! GetsugaZoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Portugal

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by ShimpanzeeThat View Post
    I hope so, I need my OPiece fix.. but I've heard the next release date for Shonen Jump is 21 Jan, I hope I am wrong!
    We get the chapters days before the release, we usually get the chapters on Wednesday but the magazine actually comes out on Monday so yes the release date is on the 21, we get it on the 15/16th.

    Pokemon X/Y ingame name: Pedro
    3DS FC : 1547 5213 7769 - NNID : SunGodKizaru Switch: SW-7487-5553-2501

  13. #4773

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by GetsugaZoro View Post
    We get the chapters days before the release, we usually get the chapters on Wednesday but the magazine actually comes out on Monday so yes the release date is on the 21, we get it on the 15/16th.
    I see, thx for clearing that up, I will be looking forward to new chapter

  14. #4774
    Discovered Stowaway IgorGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brazil

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    The only reason I'm not frustrated about all these double issues is Haikyuu. I'm glad the scanslation group took this opportunity to catch up. Today they released 37, so now we're only 6 chapters behind. :)

  15. #4775

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Cover for this week's issue of WSJ (thanks to @SASAKI_Hisashi:

  16. #4776

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Neon nightmare...

  17. #4777

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Naruto nightmare...

  18. #4778

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Meh. It's okay.
    Too much bright pink.

  19. #4779

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Wait, does the timing of this tweet have anything to do with when the issue got shipped, or no?

  20. #4780

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Jump #08 (21/01) :
    Naruto (Cover & Lead Color Page)
    One Piece
    Assassination Classroom
    Kuroko no Basket
    Toriko
    Shokugeki no Souma
    Bleach (Color Page)
    Sket Dance
    Nisekoi
    Hq!!
    PSI Kusuo Saiki
    Aruberi to Aware na Akumatsuki / Yōichi Amano (Color Page, One Shot, 47 pg.)
    Gintama
    Hungry Joker
    Retsu!! Date Senpai
    Beelzebub
    Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san (First Rank)
    Kochikame
    Medaka Box
    Cross Manage
    Kurogane
    Hunter x Hunter (Hiatus)

    #09:
    Cover & Lead CP: Toriko
    CP: Nisekoi, Hq!!
    First Rank: Shokugeki no Souma

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts