+ Reply to Thread
Page 238 of 844 FirstFirst ... 138 188 228 236 237 238 239 240 248 288 338 738 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,760 of 16862

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Project Timeline of Weekly Shonen Jump, I think that I finaly got the right tool for the task: http://www.preceden.com/timelines/39...cation-history

Did the first year and the currently running series before I realized that I need a script to parse the data so it doesn't become a nightmarish task. 611 series acording to the japanesse wiki.

For now I'm planing on puting the data of:
    - Series Name
    - Start and End issue
    - Number of Volumes
    - Alternate editions
    - Author

Probably I'll set up a wiki, this work isn't doable by a single person.

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post
    The hell's that cat thing ?
    That's an otter from Hirimaru's series. Near the end of the series when everyone was trying to get first to keep Eiji from ending Crow, his editor paired him with Nakai and made him "draw better". So his otter guy became more bishonen looking... which apparently weirded out the fans the first few weeks... but then started drawing in female readers.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Money and Spades View Post
    I have the whole series in SJ n manga volume form, but the volumes come half a year earlier in japan n the resent volume had a major cliffhanger
    Ah, well if you're buying them then I recommend raws to give yourself a vague idea, though now Ultimo runs in SQ.19 I haven't a clue where you'd even find raws for it. that Mag seems to go pretty untouched.

-----------------------
    couple of interesting touches from the Jump 40th posters for the observant:
    Ramenman, I-Pin and someone I'm actually having trouble identifying at the moment having a face-off
    Jane and Nami trying to row off with bags of money and having a GT Robo step on board
    Midori being encouraged by the Chubei. notable mostly because hey look, a character not interacting with anyone outside of his own series
    Ryo from City Hunter holding Hibari from Stop!! Hibari-kun!. He might be in for a surprise there.
    Hiroshi and Pyonkichi holding hands with Naruto and one of his frogs. Nice touch.
    Ta-chan and Hige Godzilla swinging on the rope. Don't know about the doctor, but that's appropos for them

(Credits to Zeromcd ,from mangahelpers)

December 24 ~ December 30 Jump Comic sales - (Top 30 only)

*1 -- *,619,064 *,619,064  - HUNTER×HUNTER 32
    *2 -- *,574,373 *,574,373  - Naruto 63
    *5 -- *,200,626 *,200,626  - Assassination Classroom 2
    14 -- *,*62,695 *,957,039  - HUNTER×HUNTER 31
    27 -- *,*38,758 2,724,125  - One Piece 67

The newly released volumes(AC 2,HxH 32 and Naruto 63),only had 3 days worth of sales.

Holy shit,AC is just getting bigger and bigger.I wonder if it will eventually hit OP's level.HxH outselling Naruto is great too,though it's not rare.

Well heck, if that's just 3 days then I can see AssassClass breaking records all over again with this volume

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy B View Post
    Well heck, if that's just 3 days then I can see AssassClass breaking records all over again with this volume
    You are actually going to do a podcast about all 611 series (acording to the Japp wiki, and counting)? Are you planing on grouping some series up, like Barrage/TheZooThingie, or Ryu Fujisaki other works, in order to make it more manageable?

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    You are actually going to do a podcast about all 611 series (acording to the Japp wiki, and counting)? Are you planing on grouping some series up, like Barrage/TheZooThingie, or Ryu Fujisaki other works, in order to make it more manageable?
    not into single episodes, no, but, for example, there's gonna be a three week batch where I do minisodes about Sakuratetsu Taiwahen and WaqWaq, with a full hoshin engi episode inbetween. This is... It's an insane project. Some series aren't even purchasable, really (read: MOST aren't purchasable), so there's gonna be a lot I don't think I'll ever manage to do, but with the plan being about 48 episodes a year, give or take, I'll get there eventually. As long as I don't keep wanting to go back and redo some episodes, that is.

Some are a bit mental to see, though. Like I'm eyeing up a seller on Amazon Japan who has both volumes of Kujira Daigo, one of the first ever Jump series. Like, the fact I might be able to get that done? mind-boggling.

Still, I take comfort in all this knowing that I'm not doing every single one-shot as well. Just... a bunch of them now and then.

Well, if you include one shots, I don't know how the magazine used to work, but we get around 10 a year? The golden cup and the stablished authors run, (Like Sorachi's sealed delinquent vs cyborgs thingie, or Kishimoto's baseball chapter). I guess that those are almost unreachable, unless you go for the original jump, or they get famous enough from a hit series, and get their "Wanted" book.

Now that I think about it, I think that Sorachi's are included in Gintama's volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Well, if you include one shots, I don't know how the magazine used to work, but we get around 10 a year? The golden cup and the stablished authors run, (Like Sorachi's sealed delinquent vs cyborgs thingie, or Kishimoto's baseball chapter). I guess that those are almost unreachable, unless you go for the original jump, or they get famous enough from a hit series, and get their "Wanted" book.

Now that I think about it, I think that Sorachi's are included in Gintama's volumes.
    Aye, and Kubo's one-shots are all in Zombie Powder. Cases like those make life a bit easier. Mostly I'll only do ones by noted authors too, yeah like the special run of current authors with Akimoto, Sorachi, Konomi and Kishi. Otherwise I would go mad. Might take the time to do the winner of the gold future cup each year though, if only because you get some interesting ones there.

Also, as they are current they aren't a nightmare to track down.

exactly. the ones that aren't reprinted are kinda handy too, because at least then there's enough of a moral argument that I can point people towards them on the pod

Maxi and Aohige, what can you tell me about this: building up the data for the timeline, I found this author called Hiroshi Asuna, aparently his real name was Takayuki Yano, active before 1972 in WSJ and later in many other works.

Has only three entries on the wiki, and it made noise in my radar because he wasn't in the list for the english wiki, but the work that occupied that place in the japanesse one, only lasted one week.

Muhōmatsu no Isshō, Google image brings me Big japanesse drums and this cover

Spoiler:

赤毛の狼 あすなひろし 1970.26 1970.29

Akagami no Ōkami, Google image brings me nothing coherent
    からじしぼたん あすなひろし 1971.09 1971.09

Google images brings me tattoed backs of guys, probably yakuza

I don't the big deal about AC tbh.

The other series that I found in the Jap wiki but not english one is called: ヘタッピマンガ研究所R and google search brings forth a manga with school kids version of Neuro, and a teacher with Togashi's mask, drawn by Yusuke Murata from Eyeshield 21.

I never wanted to read something so bad in my life.

It's some kind of weird parody for Jump's 40 aniversary as the authors in a school seting as Murata's self insert character draws stuff, collected in just one volume, the wiki says that it has apparitions from Shima (Toriko's author), Toriyama (DB), Neuro's, Togashi (HxH), and Murata's caricature as the protagonist.

http://books.shueisha.co.jp/CGI/sear...-4-08-874859-7
    Last edited by maxterdexter; January 7th, 2013 at 10:33 PM.

Arrgh. I need to learn Japanese better. I saw a bunch more of Murata's stuff on that link I think I need to own.

Further investigation brings forth this quick overview: http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=45213

And this one, in japanesse, I think that it's togashi's chapter: http://blog.livedoor.jp/ms_2001/archives/50816906.html

Some are a bit mental to see, though. Like I'm eyeing up a seller on Amazon Japan who has both volumes of Kujira Daigo, one of the first ever Jump series. Like, the fact I might be able to get that done? mind-boggling.
    I'm suddenly interested, both in how this early series would even be constructed and two, how it would last only two volumes.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also it's weird, you'd expect Jump to try and be making money off of this stuff that's been out of print for decades and that pretty started the magazine off, especialy around anniversary time. Unless there's rights issues I'm not aware of that just don't make it worthwhile.

Also found your post about that

http://thedespondent.tumblr.com/post...tems-im-almost

Has alot more information then any other place you try and look....well at least the second volume cover. Which brings up just how off the scale is so....is the main character realy that big in-series I wonder ?

Dammit Maxy you should have joined sooner so that I could have nominated you for Best New Member, this is one of my favorite threads of the forum and I like how just you being here you made it grow! Also gonna check your podcast someday

Also...almost the same thing to maxter too because I really like stuff like this.

Good job guys.

Thanks Iceborg, being exposed to someone with around the same laguage limiations doing something cool like the podcast inspired me to finaly gather up the data that I always wanted to do.

Sadly, Preceden (The timeline tool) just crashed when I was about to upload the monster sheet of all 611 series (acording to the japanesse wiki) correctly formated and all that, probably with the messed up japanesse encoding that goes into cvs. I sent the xls to my drive, so I can try at work to update it. It's a beta try, I only added the start year and the end year (with current series "ending" in 2013) as I was tired to calculate exactly where in the year the series started, specialy anoying with the first 2 years, as those were every other week. I'll probably do a better formula to get it.

From starman I also noticed that most of the early numbers were filled with one shots, even something claiming to be "Flash Gordon", that's why the list says that Father's soul and Daigo the Giant were the 2 serialized work from issue 1, the only two that weren't one shots (pending to confirm)

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

The good news is that Preceden is back on line and I managed to upload the data!: http://www.preceden.com/timelines/39...cation-history

The bad news is that it's a mess and it almost crashes the tool, but what's an inocent website for my cruel ambitions?

Man, you're doing a helluva job on that.

Okay, let's see. Muhoumatsu no Isshou. I've got that as running three issues of Weekly Jump, and that's... basically all I know at the moment. That's probably not even enough material for it to have been collected. I'm wondering if it's an adaptation of Rickshaw Man? And checking wikipedia... I'm right!

Akagami no Ookami, though... There's this http://asunahiroshi.xrea.jp/biblio/book21.html that appears to have the same title, so maybe there's a connection there.

Interesting thing about Murata's Hetappi manga lab R is that it's a sequel to Toriyama's old Hetappi manga lab. So you've got two different guides by two masters of the art form. Love it. Surprised no-one's touched it, moreso since he used it as a building block for his papercraft experiments that blew up the internet a while back.

And finally Kujira Daigo. Was he really that big? Yeah
    http://www.mandarake.co.jp/informati...21nkn08/p1.jpg
    http://ameblo.jp/books01/image-10434...376651143.html
    http://ameblo.jp/books01/image-10434...376651140.html

As for why it only lasted two volumes? Short series were pretty par for the course for Weekly Shonen Jump until the last two decades, where they started going out of style big time. I think a lot of it was authors taking up the chance to appear in this new replacement for Shonen Book, committing for short-term creations just to help get it going, at least in the first few years.

Oof, this thread is quickly turning into "maxy has too much free time" ahahaha.

EDIT: OH! Rights issues, yeah. It happens occasionally, with stuff like all of Go Nagai's output basically being out of shueisha's hands, and with a few other authors who took their titles to other companies, but by and large I think a lot of titles just don't get modern reprints because A) they won't sell and 2) the sheer output of the time and everything the art would have had to survive through probably means the original art needed for decent quality releases is either destroyed or lost. It's a sad part of weekly magazines from before the digital age. Weirdly, some old unreprinted titles have pretty decent tank raws out on the net (or used to, rawscans' closure's removed a lot of those from the board), so Shueisha would almost benefit from them if they wanted to turn around and rerelease something.
    Last edited by Maxy B; January 8th, 2013 at 01:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information