+ Reply to Thread
Page 218 of 844 FirstFirst ... 118 168 208 216 217 218 219 220 228 268 318 718 ... LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,360 of 16875

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Kiruko is too moe to be in Jump.

Quote Originally Posted by BatDan View Post
    Well, when a series starts out the first eight chapters are unranked. Once it hits Chapter 9, it starts counting the results from eight weeks ago. Hence, Chapter 9 is when a series starts getting ranked.
    I'm pretty sure those first eight chapters are just randomly placed, unless it's the first chapter then it's on the cover.
    I'm sure Aohige can explain it better.

By the way OmegaSplash, put Assassination Classroom on WMR. It deserves it.
    The first 8 weeks aren't completely random, it generally tends to more or less display the overall average polls for the weeks it has been serialized.
    That's why a lot of the ones that goes straight to the bottom at 9th week usually slope towards the bottom gradually during the eight weeks (the first chapter usually gets ok polls, and as the following weeks are lower and lower, the average slope downward).
    The significance of the first eight weeks though, is that it's "protected" from an immediate cancellation.
    It's like the MMO newbie protection period.

They aren't completely accurate, and editorial will control what they want to feature, like when you saw Date-senpai spiked up, it was probably because editorial thought it has potential and gave it a chance to be visible.
    Toriko is speculated to have had a lot of help from editorial team seeing the potential and pushing it higher than the rankings in the early days. They are professional editors, they're fairly capable of spotting something that they see potential for franchise popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    The first 8 weeks aren't completely random, it generally tends to more or less display the overall average polls for the weeks it has been serialized.
    That's why a lot of the ones that goes straight to the bottom at 9th week usually slope towards the bottom gradually during the eight weeks (the first chapter usually gets ok polls, and as the following weeks are lower and lower, the average slope downward).
    The significance of the first eight weeks though, is that it's "protected" from an immediate cancellation.
    It's like the MMO newbie protection period.

They aren't completely accurate, and editorial will control what they want to feature, like when you saw Date-senpai spiked up, it was probably because editorial thought it has potential and gave it a chance to be visible.
    Toriko is speculated to have had a lot of help from editorial team seeing the potential and pushing it higher than the rankings in the early days. They are professional editors, they're fairly capable of spotting something that they see potential for franchise popularity.
    I was wondering, Jump still retains rights even to it's prematurely cancelled series right ?

Now this a topic I can get into.

I like discussing the WSJ magazine and rankings more than the series themselves.

Is something going to end next week to make room for the new series?

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post
    I was wondering, Jump still retains rights even to it's prematurely cancelled series right ?
    Yes they do.

There has been rare cases of manga moving to another publisher, but usually in the event of the magazine ending in cancellation.
    Trigun for example, moved from Tokuma shoten to Shounen Gahousha when Monthly Shounen Captain ended its publication history.

from kaze1028

Shokugeki no Soma
    One Piece
    Nisekoi
    Assassination Classroom (C)
    Kuroko no Basket
    PSI Saiki Kusuo
    Naruto
    Hungry Joker
    Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san (C)
    Sket Dance
    HQ
    Bleach (C)
    Gintama
    Kochikame
    Kurogane
    Beelzebub
    Cross Manage
    Medaka
    Date-senpai

Title Toriko
    C PSI Saiki Kusuo, Hunter x Hunter one shot, Kurapica recollection 29P, cover
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; November 21st, 2012 at 11:00 PM.

Beelze, get out of there. . .

And also, HxH one shot? Hmm. . .what? Didn't know about it. . .

(also. . .does this mean early chapters. . . .??)

Yes. Yes it does mein freund.

I imagine the Hunter x Hunter oneshot is related to the film somewhat?

As it does say Kurapika recollection.

Hunter Pirate Poet Friend of Luffy and Gon's Avatar

I don't prepare for hxh, much like with my favourite tv programmes being pretty culty I don't speculate about it, then an advert hits me full force, usually a week or so before. This is the equivalent of those tv adverts. Funnily enough the tv shows I anticipate tend to come around the same time of the year and only for a while. 3 of my god tier manga are well known for hiatus, Berserk, DGM and Hxh and a fourth being regular but a monthly series sometimes longer depending on scanlators, JJBA. By the time bleach closes on the "final" arc though, hxh will be back in hibernation/hiatus That gives Kubo a huge margin to destroy any decent characters. Then again all I want is bankai, but even the Royal guard are going to get crushed by the naziquinshies lol Ichigo will save everyone. Fuck I really hating that shounen trope now

Indiscriminate Grappler Gokuyuske's Avatar

Togashi what are you up to, you sneaky bastard...

He can't be that ill. If he was he couldn't return to jump at all. Unlike Bouken oh beet where the mangaka or one of them was genuinely ill and the series got axed.

Naruto keeps getting lower and lower on the list??? Wow, did not see that one coming.
    Luffy fan.
    LuffyxHancock or LuffyxNami? I can't decide.

I really really want to see Hunter X Hunter knock bleach down further for a bit, just for the satisfaction. If Togashi had been less hiatus riddled he might have been able to help knock bleach down further.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend of Luffy and Gon View Post
    I really really want to see Hunter X Hunter knock bleach down further for a bit, just for the satisfaction. If Togashi had been less hiatus riddled he might have been able to help knock bleach down further.
    I doubt that. HxH is always regular bottom 5. Most of the time even second to last or dead last.

I guess some jump fans have shit taste then lol. One Piece excluded of course.

Nope..
    Two things you have to keep in mind.

You can't rank something that only comes on once in a while.
    Editors are not psychics, they're not gonna know what it WILL get eight weeks in advance you know. Duh.
    Two, people who send in incomplete, late chapters are pushed to the bottom. Gee, who does THAT sound like?

It's got nothing to do with reader tastes. If anything, HxH is one of the most popular manga on Jump.
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; November 20th, 2012 at 07:59 AM.

Ah ok, I was never that good at understanding these kind of points as in the political structure and powers of editors, especially when it's been well over 24 hours since I last slept! There's loads we will never know, like why the editors are always very vague about the precise nature of Togashi's "illness". I've always thought it could be some form of addiction, something I don't imagine editors would want to admit. I wonder how different it would be if Togashi hadn't already established Yu Yu before hxh. Obviously Yuyu was a cash cow. It's like I think the editors would be cool with Toriyama and give him some leeway because he's Toriyama if he ever felt like creating new manga, like a long series not the odd one shots he brings out. I read a few volumes of bakuman and it helped me understand the process a bit, but even so it seems a dreadful world of editors.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend of Luffy and Gon View Post
    Ah ok, I was never that good at understanding these kind of points as in the political structure and powers of editors,
    I now imagine Jump's offices to be like Feudal Japan, with the Editor-in-chief being so sacred that no one can dare directly aproach him.

I bet Toriyama could, but good ole Tori-bot as far as I know had a very good punctuality record, from what I've heard he seemed to treat like it actually was, you know a job with contractual obligations not just some way to become a superficial untouchable cough kubo cough pretentious star.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information