+ Reply to Thread
Page 200 of 844 FirstFirst ... 100 150 190 198 199 200 201 202 210 250 300 700 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 4,000 of 16868

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

I was hoping for Goblin Knight to win the seat myself.

Well, hopefully it's in the next batch of serialization.
    It was the best one out of the most recent Golden Cup, IMO.

EDIT:
    Adding the two new serialization pics from the WSJ issue.

Last edited by Aohige_AP; August 29th, 2012 at 07:14 AM.

Shipmate

Kaito changed his art style a little. Hopefully that's the only part of his manga that changed.

And as far as gag manga go, I would prefer Cupid of Love to Date-Senpai.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade View Post
    Haikyuu!! is second. That's pretty great, especially for a sports series. Great job, Furudate! You have finally made it! Assassination Classroom (anyone who abbreviates the title should feel bad) has its second chapter rank sixth. And lol Takamagahara, its first ranking is basically last.

Apparently, this is lowest ranking Naruto has received since issue #3-4 in 2003 when it placed thirteenth.
    Can't really blame Japan for this weeks.
    Luffy fan.
    LuffyxHancock or LuffyxNami? I can't decide.

Kaito changed his art style a little. Hopefully that's the only part of his manga that changed.

And as far as gag manga go, I would prefer Cupid of Love to Date-Senpai.
    Kaito's a female artist, according to her twitter (gone private since the announcement).
    She's the same artist who did the Happy Magi one shot long time ago.

She's not the same Kaito as the designer of Hatsune Miku, afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Wait, so the male protagonist of Cross Manage is even more bland-looking than he was before? What.

Shipmate

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Kaito's a female artist, according to her twitter (gone private since the announcement).
    She's the same artist who did the Happy Magi one shot long time ago.

She's not the same Kaito as the designer of Hatsune Miku, afaik.
    Didn't know Kaito was female. But I was talking about her, author of Cross Manage and Anti Love Sentai - Hayata Joe one shots. Can't find Happy Magi in any database though. The preview pic makes it seem as if she chose to draw both eyes and mouths smaller than she did before.

And I don't follow Vocaloid, so I had no idea that there was another artist known as Kaito.

Quote Originally Posted by Luffyfan View Post
    Can't really blame Japan for this weeks.
    The ranking Naruto got in issue #40 reflects the votes chapter 592 from eight weeks ago got.

Her debut one shot was called HapiMagi, ハピマジ
    That should hit up in your search.

cheers.

Thank God Pajama is over, shouldn't even have started.

The last 4 places are really new series. What the hell is wrong with the editoral department of Jump? Do they have a lot of crappy manga to choose from, or are they actually incapable of choosing the right ones to run on the magazine? It seems that since the last 10 new series, only HQ and AssRoom worked out. (and one of them is from a successful veteran, so that was probably not a very risky choice)

I haven't been following the whole line-up of Jump for a very long time. Has it always been like this?

Nisekoi is doing pretty well for itself and that is pretty recent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Takaho View Post
    Nisekoi is doing pretty well for itself and that is pretty recent as well.
    Yeah, sorry, forgot about that.

But why start so many new series that are obviously not going to last long? (like Koizome and Pajama) Just let so-so series stay around a bit more.

Here's the 2012 Weekly Shonen Jump death list (so far)

Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa
    St&rs
    Bakuman (concluded)
    Genson! Kodai Seibutsu-shi Pakky
    Inumarudashi
    Nurarihyon no Mago/Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan (moved to Jump Next)
    Magico (moved to Jump Next)
    Pajama na Kanojo
    Sensei no Bulge/Barrage

There's still 12 issues left (likely less if there's any doubles) so there might be another addition later down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by IgorGB View Post

But why start so many new series that are obviously not going to last long? (like Koizome and Pajama) Just let so-so series stay around a bit more.
    Because they have always done it this way and it made them the most successful manga magazine with the biggest number of mega hits?

And because Editors don’t have any idea what is going to “obvious” stay and what not. They have no idea what is going to be a hit or else they would only produce hits. Every series can find its audience and become a “surprise” hit. Of course they have for some series higher expectation than for others but if you ask enough people they will tell you that Nisekoi is cliché and that it would never last and look at it now.
    Every 8-12 weeks between 1 to 4(usually 2) Series get cancelled and an equal number of series start.
    They either manage to find their audience and become a hit or they get cancelled. This system helps to produce a big number of hits and made WSJ the most successful magazine.

I've posted about this already in this very thread, but yes, it's always been like that.
    At least for nearly 30 years or so.

Out of heaps of dead unsuccessful titles, few stay alive and prove themselves.

In 1997 when OP and HxH started, there were around 10 short lived series that met a quick cancellation death.
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; August 29th, 2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: little correction, I keep thinking 80s was 20 years ago. For like, the past entire decade.

The number of series that started in 1997 that made it past an entire year can be counted on one hand. One Piece, I"s, Hanasaka Tenshi Tenten-kun, and Seikimatsu Leader-den Takeshi!
    Same with 1998. Hunter x Hunter, Shaman King, Rookies, and Whistle!

It's a risky magazine to publish for.

The ranking Naruto got in issue #40 reflects the votes chapter 592 from eight weeks ago got.
    EIGHT weeks ago? Really? I would have thought it would be like 2-3 weeks previous . . .

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Seems I shouldn't get attached to new series and go back to only reading series over 100 chapters. :P It should be less frustrating like that.

I feel like actualy trying to follow a new series in Jump and getting invested in it is rather risky and unsatisfying in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by IgorGB View Post
    Yeah, sorry, forgot about that.

No one EXPECTED Sensei No Bulge to rank dead last every week it came out. It looked good and had potential and it could have, should have, caught on. Editorial department can't be blamed that it didn't.

They don't arbitrarily choose bad series, the readers just cull these things at a pretty high turnout rate. (And most series get tested as a one shot in another magazine first.) Its even harsher when there's a lot of successful series already running with built in fanbases. It's been that way for decades, and the strong stories manage to survive.

Yes, there's some cases where a certain series maybe should have been given a little more time to grow and try to find an audience, or it wraps prematurely (Shaman King ended like only 10 weeks sooner than it needed) but... they try to keep talent around. Authors that have one failed series often get to try with a new better one later, and authors with a successful series get to try again after a series ends. Jump has really high and harsh standards... as dictated by the fans that buy the magazine. that's why ultimately why its so successful with the most recognizable titles.

Series are constantly being made and then spit out. I think 1 in 3 series get cancelled in under 20 chapters?

Quote Originally Posted by Supernova122 View Post
    EIGHT weeks ago? Really? I would have thought it would be like 2-3 weeks previous . . .
    Print schedules and production time. I could give a long essay on it, but basically, from the time a book is finished and turned in, goes to the printer, gets printed, then shipped around the country, takes 3 or 4 weeks of extra production time.

So, the results probably ARE only 2 or 3 weeks after they have them, but that's increased by a month due to the built in producton process.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Print schedules and production time. I could give a long essay on it, but basically, from the time a book is finished and turned in, goes to the printer, gets printed, then shipped around the country, takes 3 or 4 weeks of extra production time.

So, the results probably ARE only 2 or 3 weeks after they have them, but that's increased by a month due to the built in producton process.
    Ohh, ok. I was thinking along the lines of 1 week to process results --> decide order --> couple more weeks before that issue comes out.

But if it's eight weeks, then surely the ranking for naruto here would be off 591, not 592?

I wonder what the next hit manga are gonna be after One Piece, Naruto and Bleach end.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information