+ Reply to Thread
Page 155 of 844 FirstFirst ... 55 105 145 153 154 155 156 157 165 205 255 655 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,100 of 16867

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Bleach out of the top 10.

Hooray :D

ST&RS must be close to the chopping block. The serialization meeting is usually at the end of the year right? (C'mon Bakuman, don't let me down).

Are any sites scannlating Gensō! Kodai Seibutsu-shi Packy, the new series? Also, did any site do that onr shot Welcome to the Dance Floor, I can't remember it's exact name.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Bleach not in the top 10. Maybe japanese readers are not as dumb when it comes to the current bleach arc as I thought and it will drop to the bottom again. Not all hope is lost.

Even primary voting audience - 12 year old girls, are not amused with Bleach. That's sweet, because those chaps really sucked. They were not even "so bad I laugh", more like "so bad I can't waste my 3 minutes on this boring".
    A proud fan of Kizaru, Whitebeard and Rayleigh!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000sunny View Post
    And, oh, looks like Ichigo knows more than he is letting on and can't help but strike his signature pose: Loosely holding his sword, knees bent, with the dumbest look of shock on his face....Classic Bleach

Magico, it's good to see you safe :)
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Shipmate

Gintama is second, everything else is irrelevant.

Although, god damn it, Beelzebub, why can't you let Bleach back into its rightful place in bottom five.

I thought Naruto was on break this week. Well, it's good to see that Bleach is where it belongs - basically in the bottom five (or in there, depending on whether you look at Hunter x Hunter as effectively unranked or not).

Also, how's Gintama? I read the first few chapters a while ago, but that's about it - should I give it another shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Megadoomer View Post
    I thought Naruto was on break this week. Well, it's good to see that Bleach is where it belongs - basically in the bottom five (or in there, depending on whether you look at Hunter x Hunter as effectively unranked or not).

Also, how's Gintama? I read the first few chapters a while ago, but that's about it - should I give it another shot?
    Gintama is amazing, though I mostly watch its anime. It gets better as you go on and characters establish themselves more. SOme of its arcs are the most hilarious things I've ever read

When does it get out of the one-shot phase? I gave it a try once, and every chapter seemed like a standalone gag episode, which didn't really do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Daz View Post
    When does it get out of the one-shot phase? I gave it a try once, and every chapter seemed like a standalone gag episode, which didn't really do it for me.
    Most chapters are two part gag episodes though. The long arcs are usualy emotionaly strong.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I'll go on the record as saying I don't get Gintama. I read the first 115 chapters or so, and I was mildly amused. I agree that Sorachi's actually very good when he writes serious arcs, but even those felt a bit out of step with the series as a whole.

On the other hand, I love Sket Dance, which is by a former Gintama assistant and is considered to be very similar, so I might just be weird. I do think the central conceit of Sket Dance better fits an alternating serious/gag manga, and I find more of the gags entertaining on a weekly basis, but Gintama might just be one of those series that don't mesh with my tastes.

Shipmate

Quote Originally Posted by The Daz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    Gintama is amazing, though I mostly watch its anime. It gets better as you go on and characters establish themselves more. SOme of its arcs are the most hilarious things I've ever read
    Before reading Gintama, you have two things to consider. First, it's a gag manga. So it's structured as one, with basically a third of it being independant single chapters. Second, it's a shonen manga, with all according tropes and figures.

Now forget all that.

Because Sorachi, Gintama's mangaka, takes every feature of the genre and subverts it. Nothing is saint, everything has been made fun of. Don't look far for the examples - just look at the protagonist. And parallel to that, the same tropes are used straight - with just as much efficiency. Tearjerking drama and solid battle choreography in a gag manga - that's no oxymoron. In a sense, I could compare Gintama to One Piece - both are a simple story enacted by a diverse cast; but if Oda tells his story through adventure, Sorachi does so with humour. And this is probably the main decisive aspect - whether this is your kind of humour.

You can see the list of arcs here. Benizakura or Yoshiwara are a good start for a serious arc, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade View Post
    Before reading Gintama, you have two things to consider. First, it's a gag manga. So it's structured as one, with basically a third of it being independant single chapters. Second, it's a shonen manga, with all according tropes and figures.

Now forget all that.

Because Sorachi, Gintama's mangaka, takes every feature of the genre and subverts it. Nothing is saint, everything has been made fun of. Don't look far for the examples - just look at the protagonist. And parallel to that, the same tropes are used straight - with just as much efficiency. Tearjerking drama and solid battle choreography in a gag manga - that's no oxymoron. In a sense, I could compare Gintama to One Piece - both are a simple story enacted by a diverse cast; but if Oda tells his story through adventure, Sorachi does so with humour. And this is probably the main decisive aspect - whether this is your kind of humour.

You can see the list of arcs here. Benizakura or Yoshiwara are a good start for a serious arc, I suppose.
    Yes. This. GinTama is indeed excellent. I admit that when I first heard people talking about it I didn't think I would enjoy it that much, but it's become one of my favorite series in a short time. It's endlessly likable and endearing.
    My Hero Academia is my favorite manga series right now. At least so long as the high of its greatness remains. United States of Smash.

Anime is the way to go with Gintama, weirdly. Too much of the humor is derived from the sound effects and the ptich of the voices of the characters. I wouldn't enjoy Shimpachi's inner monologue if I couldn't imagine his voice.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

The Gintama manga is great, what sucks about it is the fact most groups scanlating it don't get half the jokes, making all the walls of text super awkward to read and hardly funny. The anime on the other hand is very high quality for a shonen, animation wise (not that Sorachi's art is very good in the first place), and stays true to the original while still handling all the meta jokes exceptionally well. HorribleSubs aka Crunchyroll does a good job translating too, so tbh it's probably the only shonen where you might want to skip the manga.

I'm a gintama anime only kinda guy been for years, scans are a mess last time I checked.

If I were to start Gintama at the episode it is currently at, would I be completely lost?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information