+ Reply to Thread
Page 154 of 844 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 164 204 254 654 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 16867

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

I've only started reading Shonen, but I'm slowly trying to read all the current Jump manga's that I find interesting.

Truthfully, if I was only allowed to read one series, it would probably be One Piece. I'm just that in love with the characters, the story and the world. It's got a really good balance between daring and simplicity, and is easy to read.

HxH has better writing, but there are too many times where I get frustrated with the characters, particularly Gon. They aren't as likeable, even if their development and the overall plot are brilliant.

I just read Bakuman. I like that more than HxH, but that's because I like it's plot and genre more than HxH or battle mangas in general, but I don't think it's production quality matches HxH or OP yet.

I wanted to ask though, how much of the Bakuman stuff about Jump is true? I feel like it's a great insight, and given me a whole new meaning to rankings. I think I might pay more attention to it...

Criticism aside, One Piece always has a special place in my heart because of the people I have met through it.

Vast majority of how the WSJ system works shown in Bakuman are real, and due to insider leaks, expose books, interviews, etc, we knew about them for many years now even before Bakuman came along.
    Bakuman gave us more solid values to these though, instead of having vague idea of them.

It's rather fitting that this expose come from this duo.
    Considering the fact Deathnote seemed to be the catalyst that made the WSJ editorial rethink their stance.
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; November 6th, 2011 at 12:21 PM.

I don't know the back story, why was Death Note a catalyst?

In a quality sense, I consider HxH over OP, like I said before.
    But in a ''sentimental'' sense, OP is more special for me than HxH. It was the first manga I have ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Justice View Post
    I don't know the back story, why was Death Note a catalyst?
    Death Note had an extremely dark and nontraditional story that contrasted with other Jump works, where the protagonist was really the antagonist and it lacked or subverted a lot of traditional shounen elements - it wasn't the kind of thing that JUMP would normally publish.

It didn't fare so well in the weekly rankings, but it sold like hotcakes when its volumes hit the shelves and was hugely popular, causing the WSJ editors to reconsider their stance on canning a manga just because its ranking wasn't high - amongst other things. Now, if a manga's volumes sell really well, then even if it isn't doing so great on the questionnaires, they won't drop it from the magazine right away. Hunter x Hunter, Reborn, To Love-Ru and others have all benefited from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Does anyone have any information about that poll : http://ranking.goo.ne.jp/ranking/999...p_jump_comics/ ?
    Apparently it's a top of the series that the readers of WSJ stopped to read. And I find it a bit strange.
    Sorry if it's not the good place.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbe Noire View Post
    Does anyone have any information about that poll : http://ranking.goo.ne.jp/ranking/999...p_jump_comics/ ?
    Apparently it's a top of the series that the readers of WSJ stopped to read. And I find it a bit strange.
    Sorry if it's not the good place.
    It's an internet poll on goo on "POPULAR manga in WSJ that you stopped reading".
    They don't reveal the poll count so we don't know what the base participant volume is, so validity and accuracy of the poll is anyone's guess.

Only thing I find strange on that poll is the fact Kochikame is 2nd place instead of 1st.
    Everything else makes perfect sense.

1st: Naruto
    2nd: Kochikame
    3rd: One Piece
    4th: Prince of Tennis
    5th: Bleach
    6th: Captain Tsubasa
    7th: Hitman Reborn
    8th: Hunter x Hunter
    9th: Gintama
    10th: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    11th: Dragon Ball
    12th: Bobobobo-bobobobo
    13th: City Hunter
    14th: Kinnikuman
    15th: Hokuto no Ken
    16th: Rurouni Kenshin
    17th: Dr. Slump
    18th: Yuyu Hakusho
    19th: Pyu to fuku Jaguar
    20th: Eyeshield 21

LOL at Jaguar, I don't think it was popular enough to warrant an entry in this poll.
    What is amazing is though, Slam Dunk is nowhere in the top 30. What a boss.
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; November 6th, 2011 at 06:51 PM.

There's a new series on JUMP #48, "Nisekoi" (Fake Love), gonna just toss my thoughts here since I doubt we'd have a thread for it any time soon, if ever.

Spoiler:
    Let's see: Childhood promise, parents arranged engagement, bumping into the hot transfer student on your way to class which leads to a youth comedy of love and hate relationship...

Can this thing get any more cookie-cutter?? I can't even count the number of times people have MADE FUN of this model in manga/animes... Are JUMP editors so desperate for another love comedy they just don't give a rat about creativity any more?

Time will tell~

Yeah what romatic mangas did good in Jump?

I only know of I's and Ichigo's 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by IceBorg View Post
    Yeah what romatic mangas did good in Jump?

I only know of I's and Ichigo's 100%.
    Kimagure Orange Road was perhaps the most successful romance manga in WSJ.
    My favorite is Den-ei Shoujo, known in English speaking community as Video Girl Ai.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Kimagure Orange Road was perhaps the most successful romance manga in WSJ.
    My favorite is Den-ei Shoujo, known in English speaking community as Video Girl Ai.
    For me I''s and Orange Road were the two pinnacles of romance manga in WSJ, everything after the 20th century has been too fan service-ish for my taste.

That said, I'm curious how was OR considered the most successful romance manga in WSJ? Sales? TOC Rank? Popularity Poll? I do remember reading somewhere I''s came in 2nd on one year's overall average TOC rank scoreboard, trailing only One Piece.

Wasn't Hagiwara an assistant for Orange Road at one point? Or am I mistaken about things as per usual?

Quote Originally Posted by archanfel View Post
    There's a new series on JUMP #48, "Nisekoi" (Fake Love), gonna just toss my thoughts here since I doubt we'd have a thread for it any time soon, if ever.

Spoiler:
    Let's see: Childhood promise, parents arranged engagement, bumping into the hot transfer student on your way to class which leads to a youth comedy of love and hate relationship...

Can this thing get any more cookie-cutter?? I can't even count the number of times people have MADE FUN of this model in manga/animes... Are JUMP editors so desperate for another love comedy they just don't give a rat about creativity any more?

Time will tell~
    Doesn't jump already have 'Harisugawa in Mirror Land'?

Quote Originally Posted by choperman View Post
    I agree that hunter X hunter is a better series, I'm just more a fan of one piece but it's definitely in my top 5
    I can respect that
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

So it's a poll to take with reserve.
    Thank you for the explanation Aohige.

From Issue 49:

Dont know what this is about.

A new gag series starting with 32 pages. So, I guess it will be short (less than 19 pages).
    Nah.

Issue 49 cover:

Issue 49 Bottom 5:

Hunter x Hunter
    Beelzebub
    Inumarudashii
    St&rs
    Nurarihyon no Mago
    Last edited by Shezar; November 9th, 2011 at 01:04 AM.

Jump #49 (14/11) :
    Gensō! Kodai Seibutsu-shi Packy (Cover & Lead Color Page, New Series, 32 pg.)
    Naruto
    Gintama
    Toriko
    Bakuman
    Kuroko no Basket
    Nisekoi (Color Page, 25 pg.)
    Kurogane
    Medaka Box
    Reborn! (Color Page, Popularity Contest Results)
    Sket Dance
    Magico
    Kochikame (Color Page)
    Harisugawa in Mirror world
    Bleach
    Hunter x Hunter
    Beelzebub
    Inumarudashi
    ST&RS
    Nurarihyon no Mago
    One Piece (On Break)
    #50: