+ Reply to Thread
Page 152 of 844 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 150 151 152 153 154 162 202 252 652 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,040 of 16875

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

  1. #3021
    S+ Rated Ghoul Kareem Said's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gotham City

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by choperman View Post
    I'd have to agree with it being a matter of personal taste, I haven't read gintama, sket dance or bakuman much so I'd say my favorites are

    One Piece
    Hunter X Hunter (though I think it's the better series)
    Beelzebub
    Toriko
    and Naruto (which actually is a guilty pleasure of mine for some reason)
    Try to get into Gintama or Sket Dance (preferably Gintama).
    My top five is (in no particular order since I'm not good at that): One Piece, Toriko, Hunter x Hunter, Beelzebub, Gintama. We're basically the same.

    I have yet to watch/read Sket Dance. I'd say it's time to do that. In fact I think I will do just that. Right now!

    Laters.
    My Hero Academia is my favorite manga series right now. At least so long as the high of its greatness remains. United States of Smash.

  2. #3022

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Whether or not you get hooked on Sket Dance or not usually comes down to:

    "Have you read Switch Off yet?"

    That's the determining factor. Get through the first five volumes and judge.

  3. #3023

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by IceBorg View Post
    I would recommend Medaka Box just because it has one of the best characters in Jump right now, but the manga itself can be pretty bad sometimes, but im really liking the recent chapters, so its all around a "mediocre to good" manga.
    I'm going to stay with Medaka Box to the end, it's unnecesarely complicated (it doesn't know if it want to be meta or not), but it has been generaly interesting. I would classify it as "Guilty Pleasure", not a trainwreck, somewhat fun, takes itself too seriously (it's weird to have a "battle to be the main character", played straight).
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  4. #3024
    What's wrong with you! IceBorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Portugal

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    I'm going to stay with Medaka Box to the end, it's unnecesarely complicated (it doesn't know if it want to be meta or not), but it has been generaly interesting. I would classify it as "Guilty Pleasure", not a trainwreck, somewhat fun, takes itself too seriously (it's weird to have a "battle to be the main character", played straight).
    Well all that meta stuff, like it or not, has helped Medaka rise in the ratings. And I guess Kumagawa helped a lot too, heck I would say he saved the series.

  5. #3025

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by IceBorg View Post
    Well all that meta stuff, like it or not, has helped Medaka rise in the ratings. And I guess Kumagawa helped a lot too, heck I would say he saved the series.
    When it was just kumagawa I could be ok with it because he was supposed to be "unnaturaly unconfortable", but now that it has become the main objective it bothers me.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  6. #3026

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by RDarren View Post
    I think so, it's just that it is somewhat immune to cancellation than most of the bottom dwellers since it's tank sales top most of the series in WSJ.

    And it's Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar.
    Thanks, I just keep forgetting how to spell that. lol


    Now I will probably be crucified for this but who gives a damn. I honestly have HxH as my no.1 jump series followed by One Piece.
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

  7. #3027

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by GEPPETTOSMONSTER View Post
    Now I will probably be crucified for this but who gives a damn. I honestly have HxH as my no.1 jump series followed by One Piece.
    You're not the only one. I prefer Hunter X Hunter to One Piece as well.

  8. #3028

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by RPGJay View Post
    You're not the only one. I prefer Hunter X Hunter to One Piece as well.
    Sweet
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

  9. #3029

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Make that three then, HxH is my favorite shonen jump title (favorite shonen in general).


  10. #3030

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Whether or not you get hooked on Sket Dance or not usually comes down to:

    "Have you read Switch Off yet?"

    That's the determining factor. Get through the first five volumes and judge.
    Just expanding on this:

    Most of the early chapters are fairly generic. 8-9 give you a good sense of how Sket handles drama. 10-12 introduce the Student Council and the sense of good-hearted rivalry that develops (there are no classic villains in the storyline). 24 really hits the trend of breaking the fourth wall, which the manga does especially well. 25-35 is the first major arc of the series (the Gachinko Vivage Battle), which is generally pretty decent though not up to later standards. And Switch Off starts in Chapter 42.

    Personally, I was hooked by the end of the first major arc, thought it developed some nice depth after Switch Off, and was generally enjoying it until the Happy Birthday arc (Chapters 82-90). After that, it became my second-favorite currently running manga.

  11. #3031

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    Make that three then,

    Quote Originally Posted by THE SEA View Post
    I enjoyed the HXH more than One Piece
    Since when did you guys count me out?
    Plus, Mugiwara_no_ice and Bucephalus must be the biggest HxH's fans here.

  12. #3032

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    I've yet to find a shounen jump I like more than One Piece.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

  13. #3033

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by THE SEA View Post

    Since when did you guys count me out?
    Plus, Mugiwara_no_ice and Bucephalus must be the biggest HxH's fans here.
    I like them both the same. OP brings different things to the table IMO.

  14. #3034
    I like videogames TLC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Malta

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    Just expanding on this:

    Most of the early chapters are fairly generic. 8-9 give you a good sense of how Sket handles drama. 10-12 introduce the Student Council and the sense of good-hearted rivalry that develops (there are no classic villains in the storyline). 24 really hits the trend of breaking the fourth wall, which the manga does especially well. 25-35 is the first major arc of the series (the Gachinko Vivage Battle), which is generally pretty decent though not up to later standards. And Switch Off starts in Chapter 42.

    Personally, I was hooked by the end of the first major arc, thought it developed some nice depth after Switch Off, and was generally enjoying it until the Happy Birthday arc (Chapters 82-90). After that, it became my second-favorite currently running manga.
    I knew this manga was special the moment Tsubaki bitch-slapped that drama club president for tearing up Sket Dan's costumes. Great way of adding character depth.

  15. #3035

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    One Piece is awesome, but HxH have better story, character development and characters. Togashi can add things in his story that most authors nowadays have some fear to put.
    .
    I don't have certain, but I remember putting One Piece above HxH in a ranking, until I read all the arcs again and I changed my mind about it.
    .
    I saw the series with other eyes and put HxH above OP, but not so much.

  16. #3036

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    OP is and always will be, my favourite series, probably ever. Having said that, HxH is a very close second and I've only started reading it for just under 2 months. Speaks volumes for Togashi and his quality as an artist/storyteller really.
    PSN Username: Scoogs50

  17. #3037
    Just as planned choperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Right Behind you! MWHAHAHA

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by GEPPETTOSMONSTER View Post
    I agree that hunter X hunter is a better series, I'm just more a fan of one piece but it's definitely in my top 5

    Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

  18. #3038
    is Stolen Silence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a state of mind

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Hunter X Hunter is surely one of my favorite series of all time, because of its daring. Do I like it more than One Piece? I'm not sure: they're both very different manga.

    One Piece is the epitome of shonen, and HxH is kind of shonen's deconstruction - the extremely cool black sheep of the family - but I love both very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

  19. #3039
    Noseless and Handless akagami7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    lugo or madrid, Spain

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Hunter x hunter and one piece are my two favourites shonen ever, although I always will put one piece one step ahead, because of subjective reasons such as which one has the ambientation, characters, etc.. I find more in accordance with my likes, personality, ect...
    Last edited by akagami7; November 5th, 2011 at 07:18 AM.


  20. #3040

    Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Hunter X Hunter is surely one of my favorite series of all time, because of its daring. Do I like it more than One Piece? I'm not sure: they're both very different manga.

    One Piece is the epitome of shonen, and HxH is kind of shonen's deconstruction - the extremely cool black sheep of the family - but I love both very much.
    This. This so much.

    Although I love One Piece more than HxH because it's incredibly fun to read, and it has a miryad of little details that makes it something special; HxH is much, much darker, and as Silence said, it works as a deconstruction of the genre, using it's elements to show different situations, elements and conclusions (the Ant arc for example, where the main character never even faced the big boss of the arc. . .)

    Both are excelent, and it's really just a matter of taste which one you prefer.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts