+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Punk Thread!

Default Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Punk Thread!

We have a metal thread, so why shouldn't we have a punk thread as well? It's a large and fairly misunderstood genre and one of my favorites. Whether you need to angst, break things or contemplate your surrounding socio-political universe, punk is there for you. A lot of the movement burned itself out pretty quickly, but there's still a fair-sized group of bands still around, mostly hardcore, post-hardcore and screamo acts (actual screamo, mind you!) in my experience. And of course the boring pop bands that everyone's daughter listens to.

So, are there any other big punk fans here on AP?

Here's something for all of you to contemplate:

Hidden:
    [youtube]oHITbssu9RE[/youtube]
    [youtube]EyR7CFxSJso[/youtube]
    [youtube]5ucAEdM8CLY[/youtube]
    [youtube]06LsyO7XK9M[/youtube]
    [youtube]JdiZB-CSDP0[/youtube]
    [youtube]83BRULUXqlI[/youtube]
    [youtube]nVCMLWtVN5E[/youtube]
    [youtube]y4ar9Jwx9Mg[/youtube]
    [youtube]MRa5BWOOGZM[/youtube]
    [youtube]IlYiAuHQX14[/youtube]
    [youtube]PUi72JO7bfQ[/youtube]

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Im loaded with rocket fuel Hartzell's Avatar

Default Re: Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Punk Thread!

Punk is actually a very broad term which used to work more as an attitude than an actual style of music. And to tell the truth one of my very favorites were these guys right here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUJ8dcLxFVg

I don't think that's true. A lot of the bands liked to say that, but, really, there are a lot of shared musical characteristics between the bands. Punk is the punk attitude applied to music and it does have a distinct sound.

I'll definitely agree on the Minutemen, though. They are my favorite and Double Nickels on the Dime ranks as my third favorite record across all genres. Mike Watt is my favorite bassist as well. R.I.P. D. Boone.

GREAT FUCKING START!!!

more:

Spoiler:

[youtube]UXM3D2iEGjw[/youtube]
    [youtube]I5YZ7FELtCI[/youtube]
    [youtube]c4YtTxV7UAo[/youtube]
    [youtube]IH9MDc1TXtY[/youtube]
    [youtube]JWPBuoFs3Mg[/youtube]
    [youtube]SX6XlxymAQY[/youtube]
    [youtube]60hYAK8wcKw[/youtube]
    [youtube]hqS5Fo9j7BA[/youtube]
    [youtube]IJG1HE6_aYo[/youtube]

I never knew you had such good taste in music .

Are you a fan of the emo bands (the real ones, of course)? The huge misunderstandings of the subgenre really annoy me, especially considering how great bands like Moss Icon and Gray matter are (Rites of Spring are implied, of course).

I like all kinds of stuff. I don't get too caught up in genre classifications--the self-educated music professors have exploded since the advent of wikipedia and last.fm. With the internet you can hear every band in the world without having ever attended a single musical performance or without knowing a single person who has even heard of a band. So people decide they need boundaries and affiliations and that leads to the "xxx is this" "no, xxx is that" stuff.

That's always been around on some level but I think the more involved you are with the real world (going to shows, knowing people, playing music) the more you realize that none of it matters. It's all punk to me.

There is a point where genre tags become ridiculous, but they're necessary considering the sheer diversity of music as a whole. They can never completely categorize specific bands, but they can give you a basic idea of what you're looking into. A big punk fan could listen to punk of any description so long as it's good, but someone with more specified tastes might find crust punk too intense or pop punk too light. If you don't use them, that's fine, but they have their place in the scheme of things and can be pretty important.

Of course I agree that it's stupid that people really try to learn the names for the sake of sounding like an aficionado (if you hear someone trying to explain the differences between grindcore and powerviolence, then you know they're full of shit).

I've listened to some punk. Not really my favorite genre of music but it's not terrible either. Could you recommend the best bands in your opinion? Fish Story is awesome.
    Last edited by Sakonosolo; June 27th, 2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Almost wrote Fist Story...

My personal favorites are the Minutemen, the Wipers and Cap'n Jazz. The Minutemen in particular have a pretty dynamic range in their music and I think you should enjoy them (though I can't say I have a grasp on your taste in music).

Let's see, you could always go with some classic Clash if you want to go mildly mainstream. Or Misfits for a pretty general Punk sound. Maybe even some Operation Ivy if you like the whole Ska Punk thing. There really is a huge range of bands. Or you could always go for some Husker Du who are always incredible. Or some Joy Division for some Post Punk. Sonic Youth... while not exactly punk is sweet too.

Sonic Youth is god. I wouldn't call them a punk band, though.

I know man, I just thought they were too good not to give a mention though. Oh and to Kairouseki, just keep looking at bands there really is a great variety and if you can sift through some of the not so good bands you can find some truly incredible ones you might have never heard of.

Ah, a punk thread. I feel at home, now.

And on the genre thing; even though most, if not all of you will disagree with me. I always keep the genres kinda broad. It's easier to classify bands for me when there's only eight or nine genres to put them in. After they're in that genre, I sometimes sub-genre. (Always sub-genre metal, alternative rock, jazz, and punk, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzell View Post
    Let's see, you could always go with some classic Clash if you want to go mildly mainstream.
    What do you mean by classic Clash? The more punkish albums like The Clash and Give 'Em Enough Rope or actual classics like London Calling and Combat Rock?

I'd recommend London Calling to anybody, but I don't know that I'd so as an example of a punk rock album seeing as how that one album is all over the musical map with ska, disco, reggae, new wave, and whatever Wrong 'Em Boyo is.
    Complicating things since 2009.

The Guy With The Red Hair LogiaFruit6's Avatar

More of a metal/ prog rock kind of guy, but I've been trying to get into punk and am quite enjoying the hardcore I have found, with Dead Kennedys as my current favorite. I like the obvious choices of Ramones, Sex Pistols, Black Flag, Replacements, Husker Du, Bad Religion, and am a big fan of the Pixies. Never liked the Clash, I've tried listening to The Clash, London Calling, and Combat Rock and never locked into their sound.
    "The Accumulated Filth of All Their Sex and Murder Will Foam Up About Their Waists and All the Whores and Politicians Will Look Up and Shout "Save Us"...and I'll Look Down and Whisper "No"." - Rorshach

Oh I actually meant it in the way that Clash as a whole is pretty classic if you want to get into punk rock. And London Calling is a fantastic way to start as you said.

It's sad to hear guys with such good voices waste in on screamo. It reminds me of hentai artists.
    ΩMEGA PIRATES: ? Members
    Captain: Zkaiser
    Threat Level: Pink
    Goal: Prove the Elemental Haki Theory

What music are you listening to? Because screamo is awesome:

Hidden:
    [youtube]8GHPwnUGj0Q[/youtube]
    [youtube]uNf_i87KXjc[/youtube]
    [youtube]BC00LdSkH2I[/youtube]

I really need to listen to more, though. I really only have a few albums in my collection.

A real rain will come... JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Late 70's/Early 80's rock is the best rock.

[YOUTUBE]ylOCIP54PIQ[/YOUTUBE]
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

That was definitely punk's heyday, but 90s/00s still has some of my favorite material. Fugazi's Repeater is another one of my favorites. I used to blast it on a near-daily basis. Cap'n Jazz's album (the name is too long to type up now) has taken that place in recent times. And more current favorites like Fucked up and Touché Amoré are also fantastic, but the punk world has changed a lot since the golden age and the world has shrunk significantly.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information