+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls III

of the Hundred Beasts The Laughing Man's Avatar
    Watching a fat, egg-shaped woman fall down a waterfall.

Default Dark Souls III

Rumors and leaks have been circulating around the web about Dark Souls III, the 3rd installment of the acclaimed Dark Souls franchise, is set to make its reveal at this years coming E3 Sony Conference; the game is said to be headed by the creator of Dark Souls 1, Demon Souls, and Bloodborne, Hidetaka Miyazaki instead of the "B team" that made Dark Souls II. Released for Xbox One and PS4, with a PC version sometime down the line.

More info and screenshots below in the link.

http://gematsu.com/2015/06/dark-soul...TuPXEOdgFh5.99

Last edited by The Laughing Man; June 6th, 2015 at 12:46 PM.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Default Re: Dark Souls III (Reveal at E3 2015 Sony Conference, SUPPOSED LEAKS INSIDE, Miyazak

I never played Dark Souls but that looks really good
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Default Re: Dark Souls III (Reveal at E3 2015 Sony Conference, SUPPOSED LEAKS INSIDE, Miyazak

If it truly is headed by Miyazaki then I'm all in!

I fell in absolute love with Bloodborne but Dark Souls II just felt bland and I uninspired in comparison. From people I've talked to a lot of that is attributed to Miyazaki's lack of heavy presence.

3DS: 1993-7490-6080 NNID: Mickamott PSN: Mickamott

Default Re: Dark Souls III

Dark Souls 2 was fine, it did its job... the world just wasnt as interconnected or thought out as it could be. It had some strengths the first one lacked but... yeah, it was overall a bit weaker.

Little dissapointed going back to DS though. Already the "formula" for these games is getting a little samey with releases this often (but thats fine as its a great formula) I'd rather it be a new concept regularly. (Would love to see them do sci-fi)

Hopefully this adds more to the story than the second did. Or an actul full blown apocolyptic ending? Or a prequel? STUFF.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickamott View Post
    I fell in absolute love with Bloodborne but Dark Souls II just felt bland and I uninspired in comparison. From people I've talked to a lot of that is attributed to Miyazaki's lack of heavy presence.
    You're totally on the money.

I just translated the upcoming Dark Souls II art book including a massive interview with the top devs, and...ugh. They openly describe some of their terrible decisions without realizing how terrible they were. Like the the lack of world unity wasn't intentional or thematic in any way, as defenders of the game tried to postulate. It was just "lol I like lava castles and watery submerged architecture and aren't varied environments awesome?"

Bloodborne was awesome but very different, and the Miyazaki-made DS1 was easily my favorite so far, so is this is our first real chance to see if he can make magic happen a second time.

Looks like the release date is currently set for Early 2016, if an E3 promo image featured by IGN is be believed.

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

I actually really liked the varied environments in Dark Souls 2. I just wished they didn't go the route of trying to connect them all like Dark Souls 1. It could have benefited in there were zones accessed via a hub world, sort of like Demon's Souls. But even then... yeah. Ememy placement wasn't as good, enemy design in general was a bit lacking in variety and they I feel they could have gone further with features like bosses randomly appearing within the actual levels.

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    You're totally on the money.

I just translated the upcoming Dark Souls II art book including a massive interview with the top devs, and...ugh. They openly describe some of their terrible decisions without realizing how terrible they were. Like the the lack of world unity wasn't intentional or thematic in any way, as defenders of the game tried to postulate. It was just "lol I like lava castles and watery submerged architecture and aren't varied environments awesome?"

Bloodborne was awesome but very different, and the Miyazaki-made DS1 was easily my favorite so far, so is this is our first real chance to see if he can make magic happen a second time.
    Though, I do have to give some credit to Dark Souls II, the DLC environments/areas/bosses/etc were pretty dang amazing and up to par with Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne. Drangleic Castle and Dragon Aerie were also pretty amazing.

I think a major issue with Dark Souls II level design is it had too much 'impossible space' (i.e. I'm in a poison marshy place, and now, i'm in a volcanic mountain place almost instantly). The developers wanted you to believe you were traveling around an entire continent, which is hard to do with the restrictions of current game design. Dark Souls 1, Demon Souls, and Blooborne didn't have this issue, because Demon Souls had the Nexus, and Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne took place in and around a single city for the most part.
    Last edited by The Laughing Man; June 10th, 2015 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
    Though, I do have to give some credit to Dark Souls II, the DLC environments/areas/bosses/etc were pretty dang amazing and up to par with Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne. Drangleic Castle and Dragon Aerie were also pretty amazing.
    Oh absolutely. Well, I never got the hype about the castle and aerie (they still suffered from the linearity that plagues the rest of the game), but the DLCs were very, very good. They had more time to work on those (per unit...area, or whatever) and it shows.

So it was 100% confirmed today that Dark Souls III IS being made, and IS being released early 2016; directed by Miyazaki, and said to be the final game of the Dark Souls series (by quite a few sources so far).

"Now only embers remain…

As fires fade and the world falls into ruin, developer FROMSOFTWARE and director Hidetaka Miyazaki continue their critically-acclaimed and genre-defining series with Dark Souls III.

Developed by FromSoftware and directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki, the game will challenge you to survive a coming apocalypse in a vast twisted world full of fearsome beasts, devious traps and hidden secrets."

I wonder what's being done with the combat I just can't go back to DS combat. I don't feel like that systems holds enough surprises anymore for me to find bosses exciting but I don't know.

I've only played Bloodborne and watched DS footage, but I basically agree with with DarthAsthma. I'm just not interested in slow-paced combat.

New info combat is expanded with a ready stance that has new moves.
    Makes me hopeful. I kind of hope they take lessons from bloodborne for magic. It wasn't super balanced there but the idea of magic being way more involved than standing back and shooting stuff was nice. Like maybe balance by the mantra of the more range a spell has the weaker it's power.

I really want melee based spells and magic weapons that don't solely do magic damage. Casting from afar is fine, but the fun in Dark Soul's combat really comes more from getting into enemy's faces and learning how to anticipate moves and counter them. There could be ways to balance it and expand the ranged options for enemies, but that's a thing the fanbase typically complains about.

I just feel like the problem with magic was always that there is so little risk to using it. The reason why melee is exciting is because of risk and you learning to mitigate them. There are certainly different approaches that could be taken to add that risk of magic.

Encouraging mages to get up close is definitely my favorite make melee spells attractive. Maybe play around with magic vulnerability windows for bosses. Like when this boss does this moves range magic becomes ineffective.

To be honest though even if magic is the same if they at least have an equivalent to old hunters bone I'd be happy I loved that thing.

Some more info on Dark Souls III from a behind closed doors demo shown at E3: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/...k-souls-sequel

Also, apparently, the game is quite quick, like Bloodborne, but, with the option to block, magic and all that.

Some more info on Dark Souls III from a behind closed doors demo shown at E3: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/...k-souls-sequel

Apparently, the game is quite quick, like Bloodborne, but, with the option to block, magic and all that.
    That article doesn't mention anything about combat speed, it's actually annoying me how much useless info fluff it has but that's ign for you.

Only thing is says is the new stance seems similar to charge attacks from Bloodborne.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    That article doesn't mention anything about combat speed, it's actually annoying me how much useless info fluff it has but that's ign for you.
    It's in this thread dedicated to it (somewhere, can't remember the page, lol) from people live bloging during the event: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...063333&page=21

It's in this thread dedicated to it (somewhere, can't remember the page, lol) from people live bloging during the event: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...063333&page=21
    I see that's interesting. I wonder if weight movement modifiers make a return. Bloodborne didn't really have any reason to have them and it was fine. Dark Souls has more variety in armor classes so it could potentially return although I would be fine if it doesn't. I mean with certain rings and builds you already could be a ninja in havels anyway

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information