+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Odex style - your views? (piracy debate)

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Lightbulb Odex style - your views? (piracy debate)

I went looking for a patch for Chaos;Head for my friend and its scarcity forced to sadly revisit the annoying JAST visual novel drama where the patch translators were pressured into working with JAST, resulting in JAST releasing a final product that was basically the original fan translation. This tactic is infamously associated with Odex, a Singaporean company who licenses anime then simply appropriates the fan translations for their official releases because "they're illegal anyway and it keeps costs down", then prosecutes the fan translators and people who try to continue the piracy.

What are your thoughts on this? Though I'm a vocal piracy advocate, I think this brand of "privateering" is probably far more despicable/heinous. It's essentially legal plagiarism, since aside from the original licensing agreement the localizer pays almost nothing, Additionally, people who bought the original in Japanese and use the translation are likewise guilty of theft, because the fan translation is now the "property" of the R1 company. I'd never buy a product I know had almost no financial investment in it - part of the reason I don't buy non-dubbed anime - or anime that had just a tack-on job. This is just as bad, even worse, since it's abusing the fan community that helped create a market for the show they're trying to sell.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Default Re: Odex style - your views? (piracy debate)

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    Though I'm a vocal piracy advocate, I think this brand of "privateering" is probably far more despicable/heinous.
    Is "advocate" the word you were looking for here?

I agree this is fairly despicable but in the grand scheme of things it's not as bad as, say, the holocaust. It's my belief that actual litigation against the original creators is rare to the point of nonexistence; if that weren't the case, it would be awful. But since they're basically just parasites that don't directly kill their hosts, it's not so bad.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Default Re: Odex style - your views? (piracy debate)

Quote Originally Posted by fdsfgfs View Post
    Is "advocate" the word you were looking for here?
    Yes. I'm 100% pro-piracy and would like nothing more than the R1 industries to die in a fire. It's not that I don't like the idea of supporting the original creators, but rather I find the R1 industry little more than a superfluous middle-man and a relic of old-age economics. With the digital age new means of delivering content should be developed rather than obligating people to pay heavily marked-up products that are equal or lesser quality to easily accessed pirated material on the internet. Until this new method is developed, the black flags should flap in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by fdsfgfs View Post
    I agree this is fairly despicable but in the grand scheme of things it's not as bad as, say, the holocaust. It's my belief that actual litigation against the original creators is rare to the point of nonexistence; if that weren't the case, it would be awful. But since they're basically just parasites that don't directly kill their hosts, it's not so bad.
    For the US case I can sort of agree. JAST USA and other US-based companies haven't done such because there's danger in bringing something like that to the court. If the court rules against them, it'll be nothing short of a death sentence since pirates have limited rights.

Most pirates aren't willing to take on a US company for two reasons. One, they don't understand the law, which is actually in their favour. Two, and the more understandable of the two, they don't have a lot of money and would be likely financially ruined by the court expenses of having to bring the people to trial. This goes for the R1 company as well, they have little to gain except a small financial victory, of which might not even be a victory if they have to pay a lot, and risk the litigation going sour.

Odex is a different story, since the consequences of breaking the law there are much more severe and can't be settled with just buckets of cash. I don't know exact punishments, but if JERK DISEASE is right in claiming people get imprisoned over littering, I'd say it's comparable for stealing from Odex.

That said though, I still think you're underestimating things a bit. What JAST/ODEX are doing is like taking a book such as The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, publishing it, and claiming it was written by them and not Mark Twain. Twain is dead and his book in public domain, allowing almost anything to be done to it like censorship and derivative works, but really who would accept a carbon-copy of Twain's manuscript under the name of a different person? Legally, it's allowed, or at least it's extra-legal, but morally it's reprehensible. Take things to the next step - Twain isn't dead, but his book is still in public domain. That is the situation with the translators now, and they were bullied into free labour on the part of JAST with the threat of legal action.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information