+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1345

Thread: What are you reading? (Literature)

Default Re: What are you reading? (Literature)

I'm not surprised since I had similar experience. I remember how baffled I was when my friend told me it was just ok and later finding criticism on net. But once I started rereading it I had to agree, I had somewhat different issues then you, but it was simply good... Nothing great like the first time I read it.

As for the third book coming soon.... NO, hahhah, no. It aint soon. I'll believe its coming soon once there is a set release date but before that to me it's stupid to say otherwise. Sadly after all these years I'm no longer even all that interested if it does come out, the overlong waiting (as was event commented in the book) has simply soured my desire to read it.

Wow, so I wasn't alone with my thoughts, though I never finished the book. My friend recommended it to me, and even lent me the first book, but I got to the university part and my interest has vaned so much that I was unable to go on. The main character was at times insufferable, at others simply too "good". And there were some moments when I audibly went "Bulls**t!" and cringed at the story.

Onto more positive waters, I've been reading Terry Pratchett (I fear the day I run out of his books), and I'm enjoying every bit of it. I find some of his decisions in some of the books strange, but overall, I'm always left satisfied after finished a story. Death, Vimes and Rincewind are all very enjoyable main characters, and the humour never fails to entertain me.
    The latest book I've finished was Clayfeet which became one of my favourites. The whole mystery involving the golems were pretty cool, and the ending gave a very apt conclusion to it all.

I haven't read Name of the Wind in some years, but I remember liking it a bit. I don't think I've ever seen someone write musical sequences as well as he did in both currently released novels. I also liked the mystery of the frame story and thought there were lots of really beautiful moments.

Currently reading Pillars of the Earth, and also starting Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon. It's really weird to read those two at the "same time". One is so hard to read that when I return to the other one, it feels like reading a book for kids, lol. Not saying that Pillars of the Earth is for children--- far from that, just feels odd af to read the two one after another.

Also, I'm reading the first book of Dune. I'm not really hooked tbh, if nothing changes in the next 100pages, I'll drop the reading
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Finished Moby Dick. I expected a lot of side stuff from what I heard of it but
    Spoiler:
    my copy had 410 pages and only the last 20 pages were about chasing Moby Dick. The rest of the book was all kinds of stuff about the anatomy of whales, hunting other whales (including a cool chapter where they come across a massive army of whales), and finding other ships and asking about Moby Dick. It was as much a book about sailing as it was about whaling. Also the point of view of the book was all over the place. At times I forgot Ishmael was even a character because the view shifted so often to either a normal third person view or to first person views of other characters. That added to the difficulty of reading it, and it's already kind of daunting by itself, but it got easier to read as I went along, probably more because my understanding improved.

Kind of burned out. Next fictional book I'm going to read is going to be Middlemarch by George Eliot though. I recently reread Silas Marner which I still enjoyed so I'm interested to see how Middlemarch is as a longer book by the same author.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Currently reading Pillars of the Earth, and also starting Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon. It's really weird to read those two at the "same time". One is so hard to read that when I return to the other one, it feels like reading a book for kids, lol. Not saying that Pillars of the Earth is for children--- far from that, just feels odd af to read the two one after another.

Also, I'm reading the first book of Dune. I'm not really hooked tbh, if nothing changes in the next 100pages, I'll drop the reading
    I tried reading Gravity's Rainbow in high school and gave up on it pretty early. I want to try reading it again at some point. I also have all of the Dune books written by the original author but haven't started them yet. I've seen people call it boring but there's plenty of other people that like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Finished Moby Dick. I expected a lot of side stuff from what I heard of it but
    Spoiler:
    my copy had 410 pages and only the last 20 pages were about chasing Moby Dick. The rest of the book was all kinds of stuff about the anatomy of whales, hunting other whales (including a cool chapter where they come across a massive army of whales), and finding other ships and asking about Moby Dick. It was as much a book about sailing as it was about whaling. Also the point of view of the book was all over the place. At times I forgot Ishmael was even a character because the view shifted so often to either a normal third person view or to first person views of other characters. That added to the difficulty of reading it, and it's already kind of daunting by itself, but it got easier to read as I went along, probably more because my understanding improved.
    I had the same feelings when I first read the book. It left me wondering, but it always stayed in my head. After a few years I read it again last year. It was so much better the second time around when you know what you are in for. For its time it was a state of the art science book about sperm whales and whaling with added fiction to it. And you can really appreciate the detail of whaling in it.

Just finished the third book in the stormlight series, man I love Brandon Sanderson's power systems he makes there really cool

does anyone know other series that have unique power/magic systems?

Stromlight and Mistborn are the only Novels I've ever read that have those kinds of power systems, the only other place I see stuff like that is in Mangas

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Just finished the third book in the stormlight series, man I love Brandon Sanderson's power systems he makes there really cool

Stromlight and Mistborn are the only Novels I've ever read that have those kinds of power systems, the only other place I see stuff like that is in Mangas
    Sanderson's pretty unique in terms of the detail and limits he puts into his magic systems. If you haven't read his Wax and Wayne books already, they're an industrial age remix set in the same world as Mistborn.

I'd also potentially suggest A Darker Shade of Magic, which has a moderately defined magic system and a neat tournament arc in the second book.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Sanderson's pretty unique in terms of the detail and limits he puts into his magic systems. If you haven't read his Wax and Wayne books already, they're an industrial age remix set in the same world as Mistborn.

I'd also potentially suggest A Darker Shade of Magic, which has a moderately defined magic system and a neat tournament arc in the second book.
    I don’t think I’ve ever read a tournament arc in a book series before, I’ve already heard good things about this series so I’m probs gonna check it out

Thanks for the suggestion

I'll second the Wax and Wayne series and recommend the audiobooks if you're into them.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

I've recently finished Vassily Grossman's Life and Fate, about his experienced on the Eastern Front of WW2. That was a heavy read, but a fascinating one that I don't regret for a second.

I try to read more. Only this year they re-read The Chronicles of Narnia with the children, and for myself I read Bradberry, Orwell, Dumas, Selinger. I plan to read 2-3 works of Lovecraft even before the new year and maybe I will have time for something else.

I'm currently reading Small Gods from Terry Pratchett and Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. The latter is a sort of introduction to philosophy through the eyes of a 15-something year old girl who unexpectedly rolls in a philosophy course through mysterious letters. I like how it's an approachable way to learn about the subject and its roots and I can definitely imagine myself researching certain philosophers more in-debt once I'm finished with the book.

Honestly, the only books I have been reading are my schoolbooks, still have a book I checked out from the library that I need to read. It's called The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern. I get to the book eventually >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post

Be sure to read Brandon Sanderson’s “Warbreaker”, as it will be connected to the next Stormlight book, Rhythm of War. I am so freaking excited D: It’s coming out in November.

Btw, are you aware of the Cosmere? Sanderson’s multiple series that are connected?

Apologies in advance for my extensive Sanderson nerdiness.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    Be sure to read Brandon Sanderson’s “Warbreaker”, as it will be connected to the next Stormlight book, Rhythm of War. I am so freaking excited D: It’s coming out in November.

Btw, are you aware of the Cosmere? Sanderson’s multiple series that are connected?

Apologies in advance for my extensive Sanderson nerdiness.
    Oh man, I didn't realize there were more to read

So far I've read the first Mistborn trilogy, the 3 Stormlight books and I just started the second book of the Mistborn series, shadows of self

I knew they were all part of a multiverse but I don't know what order to read them in, what would you recommend?

also no need to apologize on being passionate about something, I'm the exact same way, once I get into something I just can't stop

Sanderon also connected his stories like Asimov? Nice. The guy is super wholesome, we wore a MtG Novel (a game he is super fan) for free.
    Might enter the Sanderson wagon when I have money to buy the books.

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Sanderon also connected his stories like Asimov? Nice. The guy is super wholesome, we wore a MtG Novel (a game he is super fan) for free.
    Might enter the Sanderson wagon when I have money to buy the books.
    If you're looking to try some Sanderson, the entire Warbreaker book is available free on his website chapter by chapter. Ironically it's one of the few books by him that I haven't read.

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/war...-introduction/

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

On a different note, I've just finished Susanna Clarke's (author of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell) new acclaimed book, Piranesi.
    I found it enjoyable and engrossing for the most part, but the ending was both smaller and more obvious than I was expecting. Definitely a bit of a let down but still a good read.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Finished all the Mistborn books except Secret History, Now I'm reading WarBreaker

Finished Small Gods from Terry Pratchett. Reading those bits about the flat-earth/round-earth debate was hilarious considering our situation nowadays. Enjoyed the parodies of the philosophers as well, especially since I've just started reading up on the subject so I understood most of the references I believe.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information