+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1270

Thread: What are you reading? (Literature)

Default Re: What are you reading? (Literature)

I've decided to read Harry Potter again, just started. I love this tale, especially the first three parts

I've finished Silmarillion yesterday. Awesome book, even better then LOTR

I can't remember if I posted in here about reading the Recognitions. I'm still chugging along at that. I took a long break from it but read another chapter the other day. Don't know if LNs count for this thread but I'm also reading the Kino's Journey LNs. They make me grateful at how good the prose is in the Recognitions. Though it's hard to know how much of that is the original text and how much of it's the translation. I just found out that I was reading an old translation though so I switched over to a more recent one and it hasn't been bad. Might have just hit a rough patch.

Finally got a copy of The Left Hand of Darkness. Now I can read it and see what all this hullabaloo is about.

I've started the Legend by David Gemmell. It's the first book of Drenai Series. Awesome epic fantasy

Rereading Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code.

I read light novels here and my favorite solo leveling light novel is solo leveling. This is one of the best.

Currently reading "The Mountain Shadow" a sequel to Shantaram. I don't want to add any spoilers, a book is definitely worth reading.
    check out my new article on how to write essays https://paperwritingservicesreviews....-write-essays/

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Anyone has a review for Six Of Crows?

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Anyone has a review for Six Of Crows?
    Right here. It's a pretty fun and intricate heist with a large helping of YA angst and romantic tension. Everyone has secrets, naturally, but the wonderfully chaotic heist that takes up a good 40% of the book makes up for those cliches. I'd generally recommend it as something light and fun.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

NOS4R2. Saw the first episode of the tv-series and got interested. Liking it so far.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Right here. It's a pretty fun and intricate heist with a large helping of YA angst and romantic tension. Everyone has secrets, naturally, but the wonderfully chaotic heist that takes up a good 40% of the book makes up for those cliches. I'd generally recommend it as something light and fun.
    Oh that should be good enough for rainy days I guess, I'm getting it.
    thanks.

I've just finished overreading LOTR. Gonna start Silmarillion soon
    Source:
    manchester united kit dream league 2019 url

Currently reading A Fault in our Stars by John Green.

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - Unknown; Character - Unknown; Series - Unknown

Just finished the first book of the mistborn series, I absolutely loved it

Started Blood Song by Anthony Ryan.
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..

Currently reading The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ullmaj3 View Post
    Currently reading The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
    Are you a bot? If not... why did you modify the color of your post to black when the default color is black?

Volume 4 of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.
    It's amazing.

Triple feature!

Finished The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison about a month ago. It was... disappointing. A young exiled prince becomes emperor after his father and three other heirs are killed in an airship crash. He struggles to grasp court politics and etiquette while managing the investigation of his estranged father's death. The book had two major flaws. It's a weird complaint, but somehow the book didn't justify its fantasy-steampunk setting? Both steampunk and magic are extremely sparse, and the non-human nature of the characters (they're elves and goblins) feels largely extraneous and just a marginally more exotic version of human races. It ends up being window dressing that just gets in the way of reading. Second, the character isn't active enough to justify his ending. The point of the book is that the emperor is bound by rules just as much as anyone else, if not moreso, but that only a handful of moments where his true character can shine through to affect the plot. His success comes entirely through the actions of others he's appointed, so o guess he gets credit? I spent the whole book waiting for something big to happen and it never really does. Generally not worth bothering with.

Also finished Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik, an interesting take on Russian fairy tales and Rumpelstiltskin. It mostly focuses on two characters: a moneylender whose bragging gets her entangled with a get ice prince, and a Duke's daughter who runs afoul of the tsar and his black magic. It's generally quite good and well-written, though a number of other perspectives are mixed in that don't really amount to much and just kind of end up diluting the impactful moments. Still a pretty good read, especially if you like adaptations of known fairy tales.

I also just finished A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab, my favorite of the three. It focuses on a magical ambassador between three different eighteenth century Londons and his accidental quest to dispose of a dangerous artifact. It's breezy and fun, if not quite as beautifully written as Spinning Silver. My only real complaints are that the female protagonist doesn't get to do enough in the climax and that one of the threats amounts to very little. Still very eager to read the next book in the trilogy. I'd recommend it for sure.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information