+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62
Results 1,221 to 1,232 of 1232

Thread: What are you reading? (Literature)

Default Re: What are you reading? (Literature)

If you're down for historical fantasy Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is quite long and very acclaimed.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

I'm reading The Pleasures of the Damned by Charles Bukowski and Nisio Isin's Kizumonogatari. Anyone here likes reading translated Japaneses light novel?

So I'm 100 pages into Ready Player One, and I'm liking the book so far. I do have some gripes, though.

The exposition of the world-building is pretty sloppy, and is just dumped on you at multiple places. It's just kinda unnatural, and it just stalls the plot and is a pace killer at times.

…And yet I like this world. I just don't like the delivery of how it's done, I guess. But the premise is exciting enough for me to keep on reading. All the 80s referencing gets old after a while, and the dialogue is pretty bad in places.

It's a very entertaining book, don't get me wrong! It's just certainly no piece of literature, but then again I don't think the book is really aiming for that. I think it's my own fault for setting that kind of expectation, as I was curious what all the hype was about. It makes sense that there's an audience for this book, I just don't think I'm in that particular target range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    So I'm 100 pages into Ready Player One, and I'm liking the book so far. I do have some gripes, though.

The exposition of the world-building is pretty sloppy, and is just dumped on you at multiple places. It's just kinda unnatural, and it just stalls the plot and is a pace killer at times.

…And yet I like this world. I just don't like the delivery of how it's done, I guess. But the premise is exciting enough for me to keep on reading. All the 80s referencing gets old after a while, and the dialogue is pretty bad in places.

It's a very entertaining book, don't get me wrong! It's just certainly no piece of literature, but then again I don't think the book is really aiming for that. I think it's my own fault for setting that kind of expectation, as I was curious what all the hype was about. It makes sense that there's an audience for this book, I just don't think I'm in that particular target range.
    Are you familiar with SF in general? How would you compare it to other SF books? Heard about the movie based on the book and wanted to read it too at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonX View Post
    Are you familiar with SF in general? How would you compare it to other SF books? Heard about the movie based on the book and wanted to read it too at some point.
    I'm somewhat familiar with SF, but I haven't been able to read as much as I'd like to hope. Either way, RP1 isn't a very hard sci-fi kind of novel. At best, it deals with virtual reality and sorta has some commentary on it (as far as I've read). I'm at the point now where the plot picks up and it's getting better, so I'd say it's worth a read at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    I'm somewhat familiar with SF, but I haven't been able to read as much as I'd like to hope. Either way, RP1 isn't a very hard sci-fi kind of novel. At best, it deals with virtual reality and sorta has some commentary on it (as far as I've read). I'm at the point now where the plot picks up and it's getting better, so I'd say it's worth a read at the very least.
    Alright, thanks!

Just finished book 4 in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Really enjoying the King universe. I've read a few King books before these, and was excited to hear most of his books happen in the same universe, with the Dark Tower being the linchpin to it all. Also enjoy King's take on epic adventure story telling. He stated how he was inspired by Lord of the Rings, and always wanted to write an epic. I'd say he's succeeded. 4 down, 3 (4?) to go.

I am doing what I should have done years ago as a One Piece fan and started reading Treasure Island. Seeing Muppet Treasure Island doesn't count.

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

I'm currently reading You Can't Text A Tough Conversation by Mike Bechtle. I was told that my communication skills needed improving, so I bought this book.

I read "A Study in Scarlet" and a completing "The Sign of Four" You get the opportunity to peruse Dorian Gray for English? Fortunate, I read it for my book club, yet I would love to talk about it in class. I don't care for AP GBWhatsapp 2018 Lit books as much as earlier years. A year ago in AP English Composition, we read some quite great bits of Lit, despite the fact that we didn't assume to peruse books in that class.

I am reading The Romeo & Juliet Book.

Fire and Blood by G. R R. Martin and enjoy it very much :)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information