+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 69 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon Quest thread : DQXI on PS4, 3DS & Switch

Default Re: Dragon Quest thread

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    is it more tightly structured than the Musou games, then?
    It apparently has switching between allies, casting of buffs and debuffs, and stage obstacles to deal with giant enemies (such as finding canons to hit the cyclops with... if you attack its feet you do 10 damage, but hit it in the eye and you do thousands).

So it sounds like it may have taken some cues from the Orochi series switching mechanic, along with so DQ rpging. Sounds fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RuNa View Post
    don't expect character dlc as dq3 dlc was just a costume for the oc.
    If we get a DLC costume for the hero of 8, I'll be quite happy.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Well, it didn't take long to figure out that I'm probably not the target audience for the game and the actual target audience is likely much younger than me.

-Game is a cake walk. Only ever felt challenged twice and that is because...
    -Areas are tiny. Like, REALLY, REALLY, Tiny. There is only two semi large areas in the game when compared to a game like PW2 the areas are way too small
    -It's single player, so I didn't really expect this, but party members do NOT venture out on their own. They stay right next to you and barely take any damage while fighting alongside you
    -Majority of areas consist of killing the enemy in charge of the portal and then killing all enemies on screen. It's basically the same for all areas except bosses (which I do like but are too easy too). Some areas have you protecting something\someone which I, guess, is supposed to be hard but usually in those areas they give you good monsters or extra AI controlled characters to help
    -I thought the game would be like DQ V where you could have monsters and level them up and take them to the next stage. Boy was I wrong. Most of the monsters suck and are mostly useless. Assist monsters like Dracky (which fills mp) usually take up space that you try to reserve for monsters like Golem and Killer Panther
    -Story sucks, which was to be expected, and I hate the new characters but what gets me even more....NONE of the actual DQ characters interact with anyone that isn't an original character or isn't from their own game! What the hell is that?! Terry will occasionally make a comment (only DQVI character) but it's always followed up by own of the new characters!
    -I am about 6 hours into the game (final story mission) and I might post some stats but basically what you would do after the story is to try to collect all of the items, complete bestiary, finish sidequest, etc. For weapons and armor, however, there is only 150 pieces and I already have 50 with me only using the four new characters (well....I added Bianca because of something that happens in the story but that was only recent)
    -Quests are too easy and come too late. Most of the time new quests are available I just turn them in right away because I already did them (lol)

I guess, what would be a plus, is that the characters do play differently (not the two mains) but I never saw any reason to stop using the main 4 (except recently) because I had already invested in their development. You are expected to level a ton, apparently, based off of how many things I don't have unlocked using skill points and how much they cost. Also, the item with the highest mini medal cost is the metal king shield at 80 (which I am saving for) but at the end of the story I only have 22.

This game should have had multiplayer, I would have liked it a lot more.

In terms of "character"
    Juliette>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dirk>Act=Mare

In terms of fighting its the exact opposite, lol. For some reason Bianca uses a Bow (WTF?! she never used one in DQV). All of the characters in the game have a costume option.

EDIT: Looking at a Japanese Wiki right now, I am NOT at the end...more like a little past halfway hahaha
    Last edited by RuNa; March 1st, 2015 at 10:41 PM.

-Game is a cake walk. Only ever felt challenged twice
    It's a Musou game, so the question is... if its like every other musou game ever.... what difficulty setting do you have it on?

If you have it on easy you're pretty much unkillable and will be wiping out enemies in one or two hits until the final stages and your generals will hold their own. If you set it for hard or Chaos the games get significantly tougher and pretty much demand you be high leveled with good equipment to survive at all, and you have to consistently be on the ball about saving your allies or they will die immediately.

(and if for some reason it *doesn't* have difficulty settings, have you already gotten to the post game? Usually there's afterwards challenges or replaying levels with new, harder objectives and difficulty sliders and such.)

I never saw any reason to stop using the main 4 (except recently) because I had already invested in their development.
    You are expected to level a ton, apparently, based off of how many things I don't have unlocked using skill points and how much they cost. Also, the item with the highest mini medal cost is the metal king shield at 80 (which I am saving for) but at the end of the story I only have 22.
    Generally you're expected to beat the actual story pretty quickly, in order to unlock all the characters and stages, then settle in on a favorite or two and play all the side missions and post game options with the higher difficulties and better drops for another 80 hours. Yes for grinding, but for fun too. Its not about who takes the lead first, its who you like playing the most. Generally you'll only have one or two favorites that gets to max level, but you enjoy them getting stronger while the challenge simultaneously ramps ups for the hardest areas.

But even then Musou games aren't really about the challenge so much, they're about getting to know a favored character really well and getting into a groove and destroying tons of enemies. That works far better in the games where the roster is closer to 70 than 10, however, since you're much more likely to find actual favorites with styles you like there.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

So...yeah....the game got really hard when I got to the KingLeo fight, out of nowhere, and my characters keep getting OHKO'd.

Basically I'll have to grind for a bit.

So, in this game, you don't actually replay missions. Missions have no rank and they are a one-size fit all situation. What happens is you unlock the area in a free-play mode where the enemies are never ending and you can collect as many items or gind for as long as you'd like before teleporting out of the area. The only missions in which you get "scored" on are replaying Boss fights and you get timed on them for what I guess would be better rewards but I haven't gotten anything below the victorious music after the first try so I don't know if you get anything different depending on your time.

All of the DLC revealed so far, from what I saw, were costumes and boss fights. (I didn't see any pictures but there are costumes called "Arrange versions". I'm guessing they are color swaps as the DQIV character get their original costumes and arrange versions.

Max level is still 50 and my characters are at 26-28. Apparently the post game is more in line with DQIX in that you fight over-leveled Bosses who weren't much of a challenge in the story in order to get better equipment.

Also, since it isn't a spoiler anymore, Psaro is part of a DLC mission that comes out next week.

Yeah, the Musou games have a difficulty that works a bit like a fighting game like Street Fighter. You have the selected difficulty, e.g. Normal, then that actually gets harder as you go through the stages. In Street Fighter arcade mode, the 6th character you fight is like Normal +5, if you see what I mean. At some point I guess it overlaps with the next chosen difficulty up, so later Normal fights are like earlier Hard fights. I know all games get harder as they go on, but it's not like the Goombas in Mario suddenly take 20 hits to kill by the end of the game.

Though as Robby said before, it's not really until Hard or above that it gets challenging, outside of some specific situations in each game, at least in the main Musou games.

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

I actually recorded this in 4k but youtube decided to downgrade it for some reason.

I recorded that on the 23rd of March. I also have everything else in the game and Wednesday was the last piece of DLC (Zoma was the hardest boss). The game gets pretty fun around 8 hours into the game but I'm not sure if people who aren't Dragon Quest fans would appreciate it. It is NOT a musou game (has a few similar parts), it is more or less a tower defense game. Most levels don't even have a hundred enemies. There will be no more DLC because of this announcement.

Wow, thats fast sequel announcement time even for Koei.

http://www.play-asia.com/theatrhythm...n-70-8fk1.html

Damn, it's finally out but i didn't think it would cost that. i may have to hit the streets again.
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismeru View Post
    http://www.play-asia.com/theatrhythm...n-70-8fk1.html

Damn, it's finally out but i didn't think it would cost that. i may have to hit the streets again.
    I have the demo o my 3DS and..wow, its hard haha

If you have played the 2 final fantasy ones a lot the battle sequences (BMS) will really throw you off.

I have the demo o my 3DS and..wow, its hard haha

If you have played the 2 final fantasy ones a lot the battle sequences (BMS) will really throw you off.
    Oh man, there's a demo on the 3ds shop? I have to get that one. I played the last two but i sucked at them so...lol.

Oh man, there's a demo on the 3ds shop? I have to get that one. I played the last two but i sucked at them so...lol.
    There is...if you have a Japanese 3DS. It hasn't been announced for localization yet.

Leaving the forums. If you want to stay in touch with me...uh, i guess ask me my skype in PM? I will leave in a few days.
    Permanently?

There is...if you have a Japanese 3DS. It hasn't been announced for localization yet.

Permanently?
    I do have a Japanese one, don't worry :3

Yeah, permanently.

I do have a Japanese one, don't worry :3

Yeah, permanently.
    Is there a specific reason?

Is there a specific reason?
    There is but i think we are derailing the thread. Thanks for the concern, tho :3

http://www.dragonquest.jp/dq8/

- due out August 27th in Japan for 5,980 yen
    - includes a brand new scenario
    - Garuda (female thief) and Morrie (from Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road) are included as new party characters
    - StreetPass functionality
    - game events will now have voices
    - orchestral soundtrack performed by the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra
    - retailer bonuses:

[Weapon] Square Enix e-Store – Candy Cane (Yangus)
    [Armor] Amazon Japan – Healie T-Shirt armor (everyone)
    [Helmet] Aeon – Healie Cap (everyone)
    [Weapon] Game Tsutaya – Gold Bamboo Spear (protagonist)
    [Accessory] 7-Eleven – Lucky Pendant (everyone)
    [Shield] Yodobashi Camera – Metal Slime Tray (everyone)

I want Jessica as a romance option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Garuda is Red for anyone wondering.

Given the localisation for this has already been 90% done, it has a half decent shot of being released in the west.

I admire Enix's effort (more like Level 5 though) into making this game. I'm talking about the original one, btw. This game feels like a big deal through and through, from the music to the graphics. But it saddens me that I could never get into this game to the extent that I should've. As in, I like it, I enjoy playing it. . .but I'm not sucked into it.

I think it's due to 1- the story not feeling epic enough (even though it's built to be epic as hell), and 2- (and this one is probably entirely my fault) I don't entirely get the fighting system. It looks like the most simplistic affaire and yet I'm at a lost as to why my magic attacks, you know, the ones that drain MP and look massive and stuff do less damage than attacks that cost 0 or very few MP. Even with Jessica, I often find myself using her double whip attack than her ubber massive supra explosion attacks.

From a guide I once saw, apparently there are like 4560 variables to take into account for every single attack used depending on the enemy and its weaknesses, so it's quite clear I never became the guy that could exploit this game at its limit. . .but it's still a factor that made me unable to enjoy it to its fullest.

Now, why am I ranting about this now of all times? The hell if I know. . .

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

With DQ8 the most important thing by far is buffs/debuffs and tension.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information