+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29

Thread: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Default Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Quote Originally Posted by Garaku View Post
    So I never actually watched the original Eva, my only knowledge about it being "Shinji get in the damn robot" and spoiling myself on how everyone melts into goo in the end.
    I'm not sure you have a good grasp of what happens in the end, lol

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I'm not sure you have a good grasp of what happens in the end, lol
    Something about everyone losing their natural fields that held their individualities together? Tbh I only have wikipedia to fall on ahaha 8D;

Curious though, how do people here who've watched the original feel about the Rebuilds? Do they go in a better direction? Too different? What are your expectations?

Something about everyone losing their natural fields that held their individualities together? Tbh I only have wikipedia to fall on ahaha 8D;
    Neither anime endings (original and film) are quite like that, honestly, although that's part of the process and the idea. More importantly, it's exactly what the story needed, so it's not as weird as it sound even though it's a big what the fuck.

Curious though, how do people here who've watched the original feel about the Rebuilds? Do they go in a better direction? Too different? What are your expectations?
    Haven't watched the Rebuilds yet, but I will. Have high hopes for good stuff, but it's hard to beat the original anime even with better animation.

Rebuilds aren't as good. They introduce a lot of pointless stuff. Or at least stuff that as of yet hasn't served much purpose. Still interested in where they go though since they're not exactly remakes.

WOW! This twit by Amanda Win Lee is so informative. Check it out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/amandawin...66147750797312

It turns out Gainax TRIED TO force that exact same awful script on ADV but they fought against it.
    Last edited by Captain Krupp; March 28th, 2021 at 02:37 PM.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

i'm rewatching it rn and it has such a good rythim! the episodes go by really fast, if i'm not careful I can go 4-6 episodes right away

i've never seen anything else besides the original series. is The End of Evangelion still recomended?

End of Eva is an alternate ending that is much more visceral. It has some things in common with the TV ending but in general I think its message is different, though some people believe the two endings take place concurrently. It has incredible visuals though. Definitely worth watching.

As far as the script thing, I haven't watched the show/movie with it, but I do think that a lot of people who are attached to the original way they watched a series will always be hesitant about a new translation. It happens with all kinds of anime all the time. I especially agree with the notion that "I'm so fucked up" is not a good translation of what Shinji says and in general a lot recently I think translators have started taking way too much leeway with their translations. Especially in cases where they try and force translations that sound stupid on things that aren't as easily translated to the point where the translation is more confusing than just leaving the Japanese (mostly in terms of honorifics or things like onii-san and variations of it). With some series the people who originally watched/read it got used to the extreme liberties and "flavor" added by the translators so a translation not as "flavored" sounds wrong even if it's a better translation.

Good Translations dont always make better scripts. I dont think I am the right person to explain but I think Rin might be the one to ask. She is a wiz at Eva.

Discovered Stowaway Lord Gaimon's Avatar

just torrent the fan modified ADV translations they are both accurate and good

I have personally never seen a good translation that didn’t make for a better script.

I have seen bad translations that people accept as better scripts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Rin got her wish! GUESS WHO'S BACK!?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...guages/.176169

Thoughts? No-one?

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

I liked it. Lotsa LOTSA gobbledygook that will be slightly less confusing in futire viewings. I need to go back and rewatch 3.0 with a newer appreciation.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Watched all the films this weekend. Rebuild finally confirms itself to be a sequel to the manga and TV series. Kind of obvious given the first film, though Iím glad to see how Kaworu ended up being the key to all of it. Itís also nice to see Shinji and Gendoh get that resolution ó as well as Shinji finally standing up. It may be the perfect ending.

Agree. I can now let go of my anger and apreciate what 3.0 did.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I really enjoyed that first half of the last movie. The self discovery of Ayanami and the slow recovery of Shinji really vibed with me. And I like the sense of time in it. And I like that this growth for Shinji allowed Gendo to be analyzed beyond the stoic and unflinching villain and have Shinji be the leading man to his recognizing his fears and vulnerabilities. And while I dont get what the hell happened at the end it gave me a certain sense of plenitude that I enjoyed.

So I just finished watching 3.0 myself, and wow that was a lot.

I think I managed to get the gist of things, but definitely gonna have to wiki a couple things to try and piece everything together now.

In the meantime... anyone wanna try and tldr what happened at the end there?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information