+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: General Ninja Turtles thread

Default Re: General Ninja Turtles thread

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    So did I. And I still have the GIANT tourbook that they sold in the Lobby. That thing is like 2 feet tall.
    I'm amazed you still have that. I don't know what I did with mine, I think I cut stuff out of it.

My most prized TMNT possessions are probably my original first printings of all the comic issues...except #1. I never did get into the Archie version.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Lady Gaga? Take notes. Rebecky_Mo's Avatar

Speaking of comic collections, I REALLY need to buckle down and buy the Ultimate Collection for the Original Mirage series. I never got the chance to collect them growing up because 1) I was young and didn't know it existed and 2) my local comic shop sucked at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    I'm amazed you still have that.
    Well, its buried under stuff and out of the way, and a little beat up, but its there.

My most prized TMNT possessions are probably my original first printings of all the comic issues...except #1. I never did get into the Archie version.
    I have *every* TMNT comic up until about 1997. All the Mirage ones, all the Archie. Including specials, miniseries, tales of, crossovers, spinoffs, etc, and several of the trade versions of the same. Couple hundred comics all told. That WAS my childhood.They were my life. I don't have first printings on *all* of them, (I care about the story, not the collectors item,so fourth printing for 10 bucks less than the third is fine by me) but I did track down a first printing of #1 a couple years back. Only got a couple issues of the Image series before it was clear I didn't like their direction, and then I picked back up with the Mirage run when it started going again a few years ago. (Though I wish I hadn't, I reeeeally disagree with some of the uhm... insane... things Peter did. Particularly the direction he went with April.)

I also have *nearly* all of the original printings of ElfQuest.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'm probably going to hold off getting the Ultimate collections for a bit. Since I only really want to read the City at War arc and its going to be awhile before the collections will hit that point of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sano View Post
    I'm probably going to hold off getting the Ultimate collections for a bit. Since I only really want to read the City at War arc and its going to be awhile before the collections will hit that point of the story.
    Are the ultimate collections going to be going over *all* the issues (however random they may be, and unconnected and out of order storywise) or is it just going to be the Eastman and Laird stuff? If it's just their material, they'll be there REALLY fast actually.

It was like, 11 issues of them... 4 issues of solo turtles... Then 3 issues of Return to New York (with different inker on it...) a Fugitoid one shot... and then random stuff by other artists until issue 50 when they did City At War... and the other 12 parts of that had a different artist on them.

They also did the 7 issues of Tales... all told they only did about 25 issues, and htey had other artists on some of those.

If the ultimate collections are doing everything from the comics, in order, then there's going to be quite a few random stories where part 1 starts and then a different story goes for a few issues, and then part 2 comes around again. I'd have to imagine they'd just package those random stories by random artists... differently. (In the 90's they were their own trades collecting the unique 3 issue stories.) And some of those are really best left forgotten.

Would also think they'd try to make City at War fit in one big volume.
    Last edited by Robby; February 7th, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

....Okay Robby, you OFFICIALLY have made me jealous. I have so much regret over selling my Archie!TMNT comics back in the 90's. I was so young and stupid! Y_Y

As for the Hardcover Ultimate Collections, Amazon lists these issues under each book:

Volume 1 : issues #1-7 and the Raphael solo
    Volume 2 (March): issues #8-11, and the Leonardo, Donatello and Michelangelo solo books
    Volume 3 (July): issues #12, 14, 15, 17, and 19-21 ("Survivalists," "The Unmentionables," "Dome Doom," and the multi-part "Return to New York.")

It's funny that 13 and 16 are missing from Volume 3. The stories in those issues are 'The People's Choice', 'A TMNT Time Tale' and 'The Shell of the Dragon', so perhaps someone with the books (Robby?) might be able to tell why they're not included in order. Are they part of another side storyline with later issues, or just...well, bad?

EDIT: Wait...I just found this on Amazon too, with the missing issues from Volume 3 in a paperback (with full color). Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecky_Mo View Post
    It's funny that 13 and 16 are missing from Volume 3. The stories in those issues are 'The People's Choice', 'A TMNT Time Tale' and 'The Shell of the Dragon', so perhaps someone with the books (Robby?) might be able to tell why they're not included in order. Are they part of another side storyline with later issues, or just...well, bad?
    Those issues were originally done in black and white, but they also had color editions that were painted up pretty nicely. (Two or three other stories along the way did as well.) They might be saving that material for a seperate color trade. (Well, at least Shell of the Dragon was also done in black and white, I have both versions... I'd have to look at the others for a refresher, its been years)

EDIT: Yeah, thats exactly what they're doing. Special color trade.

Like I said, aside from Return to new York (19-21), issues 12-49 are basically COMPLETELY RANDOM, done by a multitude of artists and writers, and can be packed in any way shape or form they feel like. The fact that they're willing to reprint out of order is a good sign, it means the 2 and 3 parters will probably be packaged together instead of strung apart willy nilly like the original print order.

It wasn't until City at war (Issues 50-62) that a cohesive ongoing story started again that would carry through volumes 2 and 4. (3 being the Image run which is now ignored.)

Looking at the various covers, issue 33 "Turtles Take Time" is also a painted issue, and the one I was thinking of, and its a lot of fun. I'm surprised thats not in there. (Actually, all the early issues were colored for collections at some point, I have some of those trades, but since those issues originally have heavy zip tone the results are... varied. They probably look better B&W.)

Geez, this is making me want to drag out my old issues and reread them.
    Last edited by Robby; February 8th, 2012 at 10:19 AM.

If you want a complete collection of old TMNT stuff, don't forget that they had a crossover with Usagi Yojimbo that was in Vol. 7 or 8 of the latter; I forget which.
    Complicating things since 2009.

was usagi yojimbo always it's own comic, or did it come out of TMNT and develop into it's own story?

Usagi Yojimbo was already it's own comic before his appearances with the turtles.

I remember a few TMNT apperances in the Usagi comic...black and white series and later in the color Mirage Usagi series.
    Last edited by Captain Kuro; February 8th, 2012 at 11:47 AM.

Turtles came out in 84, Usagi in 87. It was its own property, but eventually when his first publisher went under, he went over to Mirage. There were a couple of crossovers, and he allowed them to use his character in the cartoon, which in turn got him an action figure. (His use in the old cartoon was atrocious though. He was much more faithful in the 23K show.) But he was always a separate character and entity, but the figure and guest shot on turtles gave him a lot of exposure he wouldn't otherwise. (Antarctic Press did a much more faithful action figure a few years later.)

After Mirage shut down for a few years, Usagi went to Dark Horse comics where its now at 140 odd issues.

The turtles also crossed over with Cerebus in their 8th issue... and have also crossed over with Archie, Savage Dragon, Flaming Carrot, Creed, Gen 13, and certainly some others I can't think of at the moment.

As far as I know, the turtles never crossed with the Teen Titans, Sonic the Hedgehog, or Pre-teen Dirty Gene Kung Fu Kangaroos.

And of course, for the final episode of the 2K3 show, they crossed over with their own 90's show. That was kooky.

Ha ha...I have a Pre-teen Dirty Gene Kung Foo Kangaroo comic. Also a Adolescent Radioactive Black belt Hamsters comic. I need to dig those up and post some images, it'll be a hoot.

I really liked the Cerebus crossover. That period of time was when the Mirage comic was the most fun. I was also always a big fan of the Triceratons and I was elated when they brought that story to the new cartoon with much faithfulness (their use in the 80's cartoons was dumb).

ya, see, I was one of those people who was only exposed to usagi through the 80's cartoon. so the character in the actual comic is different huh. but good, right. The concept is just really appealing to me. I suppose the comics would be really hard to come by and expensive now huh.

Thanks for looking into that Robby, it makes more sense now that those 3 are on their own in another collection. As for #33, perhaps they'll put that in another full-color special later on or they'll just use the original B/W version. I actually bought UC Volume #1 today along with TMNT #6 (and my other titles); my local comic book shop had it out on the shelf for a change, with the shiny hardcover and being HUGE (the pages are 8.5" x 12" in size), I was weak. But after the shitty day I had, I deserved some happiness. XP

As for TMNT crossovers, I know they've never had one with Sonic (However, Blue Blur HAS teamed up with a few Image characters in a Sonic Super Special), but you forgot one very important turtle team-up!

Spoiler:

BEST. EPISODE. EVER. XD

EDIT: @ Cap'n Usopp: Actually, my LCBS has Usagi Yojimbo trade paperbacks available at a decent price, so I'm sure they can be found elsewhere! I think there's like 25 volumes thus far though. XD;;;

http://usagiyojimbo.com/

^ U
    sagi Yojimbo website

And Darkhorse comics link http://www.darkhorse.com/Zones/Usagi

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    ya, see, I was one of those people who was only exposed to usagi through the 80's cartoon. so the character in the actual comic is different huh. but good, right. The concept is just really appealing to me. I suppose the comics would be really hard to come by and expensive now huh.
    Nah, the trades are pretty readily available. Comic shops, book stores and amazon all have them. While a couple of them are continuity heavy (Mostly the Grasscutter saga) and there are recurring characters who will ocassionally mention a past incident, *most* of the volumes can be picked up in nearly any order and they read just fine. Most of the stories are standalone and any multi-parters get finished in the trade they're in. So any random volume you found would be an okay starting point, enough to tell you if you'd like it or not. The more recent stuff is more polished as a storyteller, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecky_Mo View Post
    Thanks for looking into that Robby, it makes more sense now that those 3 are on their own in another collection. As for #33, perhaps they'll put that in another full-color special later on or they'll just use the original B/W version. I actually bought UC Volume #1 today along with TMNT #6 (and my other titles); my local comic book shop had it out on the shelf for a change, with the shiny hardcover and being HUGE (the pages are 8.5" x 12" in size), I was weak. But after the shitty day I had, I deserved some happiness. XP
    33 was *painted*. I'm pretty sure it never had a black and white edition at all. Maybe they didn't look that far ahead on the issues when they were making their trade plans..

As for TMNT crossovers, I know they've never had one with Sonic (However, Blue Blur HAS teamed up with a few Image characters in a Sonic Super Special), but you forgot one very important turtle team-up!
    That would involve admitting that Venus happened.

cool. thanks for the detailed info robby. I'll have to remember to pick up a copy some time then.

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

This weekend was Toy Fair, so we got some nice pics of the new TMNT line (as well as the fantastic looking Classic line) Shredder looks much better now, as do a few new mutant creatures, and Metalhead!!!

http://toyfair12.asmzine.com/gallery/playmates/
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Everything looks pretty cool, except April...wtf did they do to her?

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

From what I understand they made her a teenager, so she "fits in" better with the Turtles.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information