+ Reply to Thread
Page 365 of 366 FirstFirst ... 265 315 355 363 364 365 366 LastLast
Results 7,281 to 7,300 of 7314

Thread: Disney animation thread

Default Re: Disney animation thread

I gotta say, I've been watching some of the old Disney cartoons and Bonkers doesn't really hold up well in my eyes. Bonkers himself is just way too annoying and obnoxious for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    I gotta say, I've been watching some of the old Disney cartoons and Bonkers doesn't really hold up well in my eyes. Bonkers himself is just way too annoying and obnoxious for me.
    To you? that's pretty much one of the key things that people remember about him. Which is funny because when you look back at Bonkers he's not as bad as other characters that came after him. Hell he's not even as bad as characters that came before him.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    fired the creative team, (which included later Gargoyles head Greg Weisman)
    Good jesus who did this man piss off in a previous life to be bless with so much shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

If nothing else he has a legion of devoted fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Good jesus who did this man piss off in a previous life to be bless with so much shit?
    One part is just sheer bad luck, one part is behind the scenes changes happen all the time, one part is he writes towards a mature audience instead of toy buying kids, one part is that most animated shows top out at two seasons or 65 episodes and that's the field he happens to be in. A 5-10 year Ninja Turtle or My Little Pony or Bob's Burgers or Bojack Horseman run is the exception not the rule.

Mostly its just that animation showrunners usually don't really make themselves known, or only really work on one or two projects before leaving the industry, so we we don't notice with most creatives because they don't have such a distinctive stamp and we don't follow the actual creative team. No one knows that Alan Burnett was the one who made BatmanmanTAS series so good, because Bruce Timm and Paul Dini get all the credit there... but if you do follow his career its mostly Batman and Scooby Doo, so there's nothing to jump out at you as a new project or something that was cancelled prematurely, because he mostly works on one offs or things that were clearly meant to be short..

Who created and made Mighty Max so good and what did they work on next? What about Exo-Squad?

Jeff Kline, one of the heads on Jackie Chan Adventures also worked on Godzilla, Gi. Joe Renegades, Extreme Ghostbusters, Big Guy and Rusty, Men In Black, the Starship Troopers show, Max Steel (Which Weisman was also on) three different Transformers shows, a bunch of things you've never heard of and don't care about, and is now working on Woody Woodpecker, but you had no idea of that. You MIGHT recognize an art style or a carried over voice cast if some of the same talent was brought over with the showrunner, but you certainly wouldn't connect all those projects together. You probably generally won't recognize a writer either since their writing gets so filtered through the show's style.

also Weisman always world builds and leaves pieces so a thing CAN go for 83 years so it always FEELS unfinished, even when it is actually done with a proper ending. Also, while Weisman does seem to have a 2 season curse (which YJ had finally broken sort of) they DID make 65 episodes of gargoyles which would normally have been five 13 episode seasons, so...

I think the worst offender of bad luck for Weisman IS Starship Troopers actually. Because that show had a proper ending scripted and ready to go, but the CGI companies fucked things over and wrecked the budget, so the money that would have gone towards the amazing series finale instead got used for... clip shows. And no ending. Ugh. But they got to perform it at Gargoyle con one year so....
    Last edited by Robby; November 29th, 2019 at 06:33 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

I was actually at that con where they read the finale to Starship Toopers. Seeing Lexington's actor mimic firing large weaponry into the air and screaming "DIE BASTARDS!!!" was a highlight.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    I was actually at that con where they read the finale to Starship Toopers. Seeing Lexington's actor mimic firing large weaponry into the air and screaming "DIE BASTARDS!!!" was a highlight.
    Hey, so was I! Maybe we walked past each other a million years ago.

I made it a few Gatherings but not nearly all of them, I usually had other cons around the corner and couldn't go. Wish I'd prioritized it more back in the day. Couple of my friends made it to all or nearly all though.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Hey, wanna learn a class from Bob Iger?

This amuses me, as I wouldn't have imagined him taking the time to film this, but I guess Master Class offered him a good deal. If I was actually in business *gag* I'd watch it.

Actually, that orchestral version of Reflection isn't bad.

Yeha, looks good to me.

Like I've said several times, I'm GLAD it straying away from the animated version. Actually telling their own story instead of being an inferior shot for shot remake is 100% the way to go with these things, and its the path they haven't taken with any of the big ones.

Though one thing that bothers me made more clear here than in the original. When Mulan goes to training camp, they're quite willing to throw her out of the army because she's "unsuited for the rage of war" until she does that pole climb thing to prove herself. Had her father gone, and very very clearly had a major limp and lack of combat ability, (to the point of collapsing in a crowd right there) would they not have sent him back as well? Or at least put him into a position off the front lines? Like a cook or something?

I'll take it, and yes that IS a fabulous orchestral version of Reflection. Although I see a phoenix again, weren't they going to get rid of that?

Yeha, looks good to me.

Like I've said several times, I'm GLAD it straying away from the animated version. Actually telling their own story instead of being an inferior shot for shot remake is 100% the way to go with these things, and its the path they haven't taken with any of the big ones.
    They are going back to the original Ballad of Mulan, which is good because it gives them more classical stuff to work from.

And I say the 2015 Cinderella directed by Kenneth Branagh was still perfectly good, as since you say he didn't copy things scene for scene. It wasn't even a musical.

That seems like a movie I would want to watch. I was worried reshoot menat lets make it like the animated.

Is she using her father's name pretending to be him?

Yeha, looks good to me.

Though one thing that bothers me made more clear here than in the original. When Mulan goes to training camp, they're quite willing to throw her out of the army because she's "unsuited for the rage of war" until she does that pole climb thing to prove herself. Had her father gone, and very very clearly had a major limp and lack of combat ability, (to the point of collapsing in a crowd right there) would they not have sent him back as well? Or at least put him into a position off the front lines? Like a cook or something?
    I'm gonna go with that would have bring dishonor to the family(If the man cant even fight).

Who is the Bird Witch?

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post

Is she using her father's name pretending to be him?
    She said her name was "Hua Jing, son of Hua Jou". So I'm guessing no, it's like the name Ping she used in the original.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Who is the Bird Witch?
    Somebody new they added. I don't remember a witch in the ballad, but I guess they thought there wasn't enough magic.

I knew those "VFX" remakes were being deliberately obfuscated. The new Lion King is just as much an animated feature as the original, but Disney didn't want it seen that way: https://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/t...nt-183575.html

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Thats some bullshit tho that just because a film is animated it is automatically disqualified from all other "best" categories. I had always assuned it was just straight up voter bias, not built into the system like that.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Thats some bullshit tho that just because a film is animated it is automatically disqualified from all other "best" categories. I had always assuned it was just straight up voter bias, not built into the system like that.
    It the classic western point of view that animation is for kids and kids only and thus is disqualified as a legitimate form o high art. An absolute bull crap on mentality the plagues the world for decades.

Well why else are we all anime fans? Japan's the only one who's realized how much animation can do beyond kid's cartoons. Anime's popularity has started to chip away at the mindset around the world, as you can see with lots of smaller animation projects, but it's slow going.

Weird, that's a golden globe thing I guess. Oscars, Toy Story 3 and Up both got best picture noms, even after the animated film category was introduced, so there it's mostly bias.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    It the classic western point of view that animation is for kids and kids only and thus is disqualified as a legitimate form o high art. An absolute bull crap on mentality the plagues the world for decades.
    I would have thought two decades of Pixar , and the overall general uptick in quality for animation, would have erased that a bit. Ah well, give it time.

The real crime is that theres still no Andy Serkis award for motion-captured collaborative efforts.

One you guess that after almost a quarter of century of Pixar flicks the western audiences would have dropped such a silly prejudices.
    And as Satsuki said, may the gods bless the japanese and their understanding that animation is just a medium to tell different kinds of histories for all types of audiences.
    May the next score bring the raise of western independent animations of all generes.

Finished the first season of Gargoyles (i.e. the first 13 episodes). I'm still very pleased with it.

One of the great things about it is that you can really tell the writers are building towards something larger with the characters and plot points they introduce, while also withholding key details. A prime example is MacBeth. We know just enough about him to know where he stands with the Gargoyles, but we still don't know his exact motivation, or history, or why he has the same name as the Scottish king. (is he the Scottish king?). So yeah, Gargoyles is a show with an overarching story before that was even a thing with Western cartoons. Way ahead of its time.

That said, there were a few times where I kind of questioned the logic of what was going on. The Pack for instance is...strange. Like I get they were hired by Xanatos, who was likely looking for people with violent tendencies, but as far as the public is concerned, what exactly are they supposed to be? Actors? Real-life adventurers/daredevils? Also, I find it strange that Goliath and the others would continue to crash at Xanatos' place after he tried to kill them and that Xanatos' assistant would permit it. I mean, they do eventually address, and the explanations, I guess, make sense, but it still feels weird they would stay there at all.

Well, aside from that, I do like that Brooklyn, Lexington, and Broadway are getting some more defined personalities. Brooklyn is the "cool", but responsible one, Lexington is the trusting, but naive kid brother, and Broadway is...well, definitely more than just a glutton. I'll just say it now, I think he easily got the best focus episode this season (and possibly my favorite episode of this season). Not only does the episode tackle a very intense subject matter, but I love how they handled Broadway's reaction to what he had done. Whereas I think of a lot of other shows would have him cowering and crying and isolating himself out of guilt and self-loathing, Broadway instead goes on a mini-rampage, venting his frustration and trying to make up for what he's done. A very unique and human response.

And the rest of the season was darn good to. Looking forward to seeing what happens in the second season, which is...four times longer than the first one. Oh, Disney.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information