+ Reply to Thread
Page 353 of 355 FirstFirst ... 253 303 343 351 352 353 354 355 LastLast
Results 7,041 to 7,060 of 7095

Thread: Disney animation thread

  1. #7041
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Because the last several live action remakes have made about a billion dollars each, even if they were garbage. That's why someone thought it would be a good idea.
    Now now, Cinderella was a decent movie. In part because they got Kenneth Brannaugh to direct, a man who knows his fairy tales and is damn Shakespearean trained. Plus he didn't make it a musical because that's not his thing, and it worked out fine.


    People aren't tired of them. There just hasn't been a good version of either property in decades making it worth the energy, or to reinvigorate it in any way. The last Robin Hood that was any sort of big deal, mostly due to how much advertising they put in, was Prince of Thieves in 91, and while it made a lot of money, people didn't ACTUALLY like it at all because it was dark and depressing and had almost none of the source material actually in it.
    Prince of Thieves actually could have been really good if they hadn't cast fucking KEVIN COSTNER as Robin Hood. The guy can't do a British accent to save his life, and his acting talent is subpar. Why they thought he would be good for Robin Hood is beyond me. But the movie had the awesome Alan Rickman as the Sheriff, and Morgan Freeman as the Muslim guy, plus a whole bunch of other fun characters around him. So it was a total waste of opportunity.

    Maid Marian was kinda meh though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

    And no Shang isn't a big deal either, he was kind of a blank piece of cardboard for Mulan to crush on. Any generic officer can serve much the same role. Or take the "romance" subplot out entirely since it was pretty nonexistent as well and was just sort of there by token.
    Shang is awesome. But more than that, they split his character into two with one being the army captain, and the other being another recruit who's Mulan's love interest. Why? What was the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sano View Post
    Looks like we got more news about the Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers movie.

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...edium=referral
    WHYYYYYY!!!?

  2. #7042
    Division Commander Daz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Limbo

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I'm fine with them doing endless remakes
    To me its an absolute nightmare scenario

    If there was a steady stream of original content, on par with the 90s, then I'd be fine with the occasional remake indulgence. Like that prior Jungle Book one, or 101 Dalmations or whatever. But Disneys slate is just so damn depressing right now, and the trend is horifying. The remakes are gonna make money, and get sequels (Maleficent 2 incoming!). Pixar sequels as well while we're at it, and for the Disney Animation features as well (Wreck it ralph 2 , Frozen 2 - remember when sequels were an extreme rarity for this brand?). More Stawr Wars Movies, more Marvel movies, probably a lot of Fox franchises getting ressurected, gotta use that money to buy up more studios, gotta increase the stranglehold on the movie theater business, gotta squeeze the life out of everything that isn't franchise-worthy pandering to my nostalgia! But hey, maybe we can have Wolverine meet Venom in MCU movie #35 or something, so its all good

  3. #7043

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sano View Post
    Looks like we got more news about the Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers movie.

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...edium=referral
    Plot details for Rangers are being squirreled away, but it will not be an origin story nor detective agency story. Rather, the take is being described as being meta, something self-referential and cool. Dan Gregor and Doug Mand wrote the script.

    Uh-huh. So, about that awesome Darkwing episode on Ducktales…

    NNID: jervinnectar

  4. #7044

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    I'd rather they not bother with remakes at all.
    I agree with that.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    To me its an absolute nightmare scenario

    If there was a steady stream of original content, on par with the 90s, then I'd be fine with the occasional remake indulgence. Like that prior Jungle Book one, or 101 Dalmations or whatever. But Disneys slate is just so damn depressing right now, and the trend is horifying. The remakes are gonna make money, and get sequels (Maleficent 2 incoming!). Pixar sequels as well while we're at it, and for the Disney Animation features as well (Wreck it ralph 2 , Frozen 2 - remember when sequels were an extreme rarity for this brand?). More Stawr Wars Movies, more Marvel movies, probably a lot of Fox franchises getting ressurected, gotta use that money to buy up more studios, gotta increase the stranglehold on the movie theater business, gotta squeeze the life out of everything that isn't franchise-worthy pandering to my nostalgia! But hey, maybe we can have Wolverine meet Venom in MCU movie #35 or something, so its all good
    I think at some point, they bottom will drop out. Disney always seems to have that cycle where they get lazy and then suffer for it, then they have to reinvent themselves. At the very least, they're going to run out of popular movies to remake.

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  5. #7045
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The King Engine

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Disney really is a far cry away from heyday and seem to be laser focused on money in a way that they didn't seem to be years prior, or at least didn't appear to be from my vantage point. It seems impossible that we'll get a bunch of bangers in a row like the run they had from The Little Mermaid to Treasure Planet. That was a good time to be a kid for sure.

    Edit: Been looking into all of this at work, and holy shit, was that a great run of movies. The renaissance speaks for itself, but Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Lilo and Stitch, and Treasure Planet are all fantastic and fresh too. I don't remember Dinosaur enough to comment on it.
    Last edited by andre; May 18th, 2019 at 12:10 PM.

  6. #7046

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nectar View Post
    Plot details for Rangers are being squirreled away, but it will not be an origin story nor detective agency story. Rather, the take is being described as being meta, something self-referential and cool. Dan Gregor and Doug Mand wrote the script.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  7. #7047

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Disney really is a far cry away from heyday and seem to be laser focused on money in a way that they didn't seem to be years prior, or at least didn't appear to be from my vantage point. It seems impossible that we'll get a bunch of bangers in a row like the run they had from The Little Mermaid to Treasure Planet. That was a good time to be a kid for sure.

    Edit: Been looking into all of this at work, and holy shit, was that a great run of movies. The renaissance speaks for itself, but Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Lilo and Stitch, and Treasure Planet are all fantastic and fresh too. I don't remember Dinosaur enough to comment on it.
    Dinosaur was meh .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  8. #7048
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The King Engine

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Dinosaur was meh .
    That's what I figured. Being forgettable was a big enough mark.

  9. #7049

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Admittedly I haven't seen the movie in a good 16 years or so (my class watched it elementary school) and have largely forgotten practically the entire movie which should tell you how uninteresting it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  10. #7050

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Animation-wise it was an interesting experiment, and the first five minutes are great, but then the rest of the movie is just a really bland cookie-cutter plot.

  11. #7051

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Dinosaur was fantastic in the first five minutes, which notably, is the part they aired in its entirety for early previews.

    And then in the actual movie they started talking at that point and it completely fell apart and became super generic and dumb. If they'd had the daring of Wall-E and just left it silent, it could have been amazing.

    Also, they pretended it was all CG, in which case it would have been a beyond astounding achievement for the time in terms of photo-realism, but a lot of it was just actual photography and video. Modern CG movies just about actually hit that level though.


    Similarly, years later, we have Walking With Dinosaurs. Which as a tv show, and overseas, is treated as a documentary series with a narrator. But when it got a big screen release... they dubbed in really bad comedians making poop jokes and completely ruined it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  12. #7052
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    That was a good time to be a kid for sure.
    It certainly was. That's how Disney got its grip on my soul.

  13. #7053

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Animation-wise it was an interesting experiment, and the first five minutes are great, but then the rest of the movie is just a really bland cookie-cutter plot.
    That roughly applies to The Good Dinosaur as well.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  14. #7054

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Guess Don Bluth is still the reigning champ on animated dinosaur movies.

  15. #7055

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    I'm honestly surprised they didn't release a new one for the 30th anniversary last year but, then, there's only been one film released in that series in the past decade.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  16. #7056

    Default Re: Disney animation thread



    Wow, crazy good Robin Williams impression. Way better than Dan Castellaneta.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  17. #7057
    Button Pusher Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post


    Wow, crazy good Robin Williams impression. Way better than Dan Castellaneta.
    Yowza, that guy is good.

    In further Aladdin news, Disney and Vevo seem to have officially put the entire remake soudtrack on YT. Here are the highlights:
    Spoiler:










    There's a new song for Jasmine called Speechless:
    Spoiler:


    And a rap version of Friend Like Me for the credits:
    Spoiler:



    Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

  18. #7058

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post

    And a rap version of Friend Like Me for the credits:
    Spoiler:
    Why do I hear DJ Khaled and Snoopı Dog?

  19. #7059

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    One Jump Ahead......I don't hate it persay but it is awkwardly sung.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  20. #7060

    Default Re: Disney animation thread

    Reviews are coming in and...yeah, it's about what you'd expect.

    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/aladdin

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts