+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 322 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney animation thread

Originally posted by Forte EXE@Jul 2 2005, 07:58 PM
    WHAT!
    The 2D animation dept was the workforce of Disney and they just closed it down???
    [snapback]82431[/snapback]
    I saved the article if yer interested. ^^ This happened last January~

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Reverse the polarity! Senshi Mizaka's Avatar

That is seriously true. I really don't have much of an opinion on Disney, but CGI is being used to death. Like Satsuki said, it's better as an enhancment. I get the feeling that soon, Walt himself will come back from the dead, and raise hell on Eisner for the travesties he's brought.

And stop with the sequels already! Just because those classics were good doesn't mean you have to do crappy, direct-to-DVD sequels that you think will have the same impact as the original. It's simply a matter of "You can never have too much of a good thing.". Get it into your heads, you simple-minded dumbasses! No one likes it when you try too hard to improve on classics, you moronic, ignoramous Eisner.

And one more thing: I'd like to give you my congratulations (Turns to Eisner and Disney) *Clap...clap......clap* Keep up the good work, idiot.
    Rappin' Chopper:

"Yo; I was a reindeer livin' out in 'da snow! But then this old geeza' doctor brought me into his home! After healin' my wounds, I felt real phat. Then, old docta' Hiruk gave me this blingin' hat! My family beat me, shunt me, but it's all tight. Because I'm doin' my doctor remedies all night. I look like freak with my Human Human fruit. But now I'm with some gangsta' pirates who like to steal loot! All the girls like my blue nose. Yeah; it's the way that I get the *Record scratching*. Usopp's the guy with all 'da glory. He's my main man with all his tight stories. Zolo's Santoryu skills are on ice. You betta' watch out, or you gonna get sliced! Sanji's the cook servin' up the main dish. Don't mess with him, unless that's your wish. Luffy's 'da captain with the straw hat! His Gum Gum skills are real real tight. Vivi's the princess of Alabasta. Now we gotta head there, and we betta' do it faster!"

I heard about the 2D studio being closed down,and that made me very sad. As cool as 3D animated movies can be, my heart has been, and always will be with 2D. They're looking at the profits - the 3D movies are making more money, so they get rid of the 2D, not paying attention to the fact that the real reason why the recent 2D movies haven't been doing as well is because they're so cliche, formulated, and poorly imagined. Pixar movies are awesome because they have great stories and great characters. Disney is constantly trying to capitalize on previous successes rather than attempting to try something new. That's why they keep making crappy sequels to every damn movie they've ever made. It's like they're trying so hard to find that old magic again.
    I've noticed a big explosion of 3D animated movies coming from every corner of Hollywood lately. It'll be interesting to see what happens if the market becomes so saturated with 3D animation that it loses it's novelty, and people start looking into 2D again.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Originally posted by Solar Knight@Jul 2 2005, 04:03 PM
    What was the sequel anyway :huh: ?
    [snapback]82299[/snapback]
    i think it was to the three little pigs. I saw it when i was little so i can't remember a whole lot of the details. All i remember is that it was about getting back at the wolf or something to that extent.

Originally posted by CosmicDebris@Jul 3 2005, 12:45 AM
    I heard about the 2D studio being closed down,and that made me very sad. As cool as 3D animated movies can be, my heart has been, and always will be with 2D.
    The sad thing is i'm the same way, but i'm majoring in digital animation. :(

Reverse the polarity! Senshi Mizaka's Avatar

I really hope one devoted person writes an angry e-mail about this crappy decision. I haven't really been fond of CGI, anyway. They probably believe that 'CGI is the future.". I've got one word to say to that: Bullshit! I've had it with CGI replacing classic, 2-D animation. Believe me when I say this: CGI is a dying form of art. No one other than Eisner thinks that it proves anything. Only that you can ruin a great form of art with something unnecessary.
    Rappin' Chopper:

"Yo; I was a reindeer livin' out in 'da snow! But then this old geeza' doctor brought me into his home! After healin' my wounds, I felt real phat. Then, old docta' Hiruk gave me this blingin' hat! My family beat me, shunt me, but it's all tight. Because I'm doin' my doctor remedies all night. I look like freak with my Human Human fruit. But now I'm with some gangsta' pirates who like to steal loot! All the girls like my blue nose. Yeah; it's the way that I get the *Record scratching*. Usopp's the guy with all 'da glory. He's my main man with all his tight stories. Zolo's Santoryu skills are on ice. You betta' watch out, or you gonna get sliced! Sanji's the cook servin' up the main dish. Don't mess with him, unless that's your wish. Luffy's 'da captain with the straw hat! His Gum Gum skills are real real tight. Vivi's the princess of Alabasta. Now we gotta head there, and we betta' do it faster!"

I don't think it's dying. I think it's just over-rated.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Originally posted by Senshi Mizaka@Jul 3 2005, 12:56 AM
    I really hope one devoted person writes an angry e-mail about this crappy decision. I haven't really been fond of CGI, anyway. They probably believe that 'CGI is the future.". I've got one word to say to that: Bullshit! I've had it with CGI replacing classic, 2-D animation. Believe me when I say this: CGI is a dying form of art. No one other than Eisner thinks that it proves anything. Only that you can ruin a great form of art with something unnecessary.
    [snapback]82530[/snapback]
    CG isn't really something meant to replace traditional animation. It's merely a new medium, and neither are going to go away. It's just like saying photoshop and painter are replacing canvas and paint. It won't happen.

I really see CGI long term as more a threat to traditional acting. Why spend money on a stunt actor if you can build a plausible 3D model of your star, and just throw the digitally rendered version of him off of the moving train at 140 kph? And once you get there, why bother with the star himself? Why not just render the person you want in all details (nip here, tuck there, tattoo here), and just rely on voice actors (one place computers still fail miserably).

I think 3D tends to encourage certain expectations that are more traditional film like than with 2D. Notably, the camera can go anywhere and do anything with little additional effort. Just walking the camera down the street is expensive with 2D animation, but free on 3D.

When you have limits, it also gives licences for stylization you may not get. A 3D rendered scene doesn't need the angry people with hashmarks on their forehead, the face models can be tweaked to show the anger.

I agree with what Berry says, CGI is a threat to traditional acting.

I personally think a mix of CGI and traditional acting would do best, because you get the cool animated effects and stuff, and the actors that you know and love.
    If you boot the traditional acting, people are going to get bored, and stop watching.

So I think movies should go on how they are today.

DemonDays

See, with developing technology, especially computer technology, people can do a lot more things easier. This is where the idea of robots comes in. Noone wants to do housework or make the dinner the traditional way anymore, they get lazy and so they start designing something that can do all those things. Since this is the era of computer technology, people will take any oppourtunity they get to cash in on it.

We are just that damn maji Dragon Warrior Steve's Avatar

Originally posted by CosmicDebris@Jul 3 2005, 12:45 AM
    I heard about the 2D studio being closed down,and that made me very sad. As cool as 3D animated movies can be, my heart has been, and always will be with 2D. They're looking at the profits - the 3D movies are making more money, so they get rid of the 2D, not paying attention to the fact that the real reason why the recent 2D movies haven't been doing as well is because they're so cliche, formulated, and poorly imagined. Pixar movies are awesome because they have great stories and great characters. Disney is constantly trying to capitalize on previous successes rather than attempting to try something new. That's why they keep making crappy sequels to every damn movie they've ever made. It's like they're trying so hard to find that old magic again.
    I've noticed a big explosion of 3D animated movies coming from every corner of Hollywood lately. It'll be interesting to see what happens if the market becomes so saturated with 3D animation that it loses it's novelty, and people start looking into 2D again.
    [snapback]82524[/snapback]
    That my friends is the truth. Seems like anime is the future of 2D now, unless you think Spongebob Squarepants is still gonna be big.

Originally posted by Bounty1Berry@Jul 3 2005, 02:02 AM
    I really see CGI long term as more a threat to traditional acting.
    [snapback]82550[/snapback]
    If that's so true than why are there still a great deal of actors? You still need people to do voices, and, not to mention, animators also film the actors so when they go and do the animation they will sometimes use traits the actors have.

CGI is not a threat to traditional acting, but everything around it. The latest Star Wars trilogy was filmed mostly in CGI. In the future, there will be no need for stuntmen, real life action sequence, or even filming on location. The actors would just walk into the studio, do their thing and let the computers do the rest.

Originally posted by Senshi Mizaka@Jul 3 2005, 06:31 AM
    And stop with the sequels already! Just because those classics were good doesn't mean you have to do crappy, direct-to-DVD sequels that you think will have the same impact as the original. It's simply a matter of "You can never have too much of a good thing.". Get it into your heads, you simple-minded dumbasses! No one likes it when you try too hard to improve on classics, you moronic, ignoramous Eisner.
    Exactly. They're butchering classics. And as far as the sequals go, I know for a fact that 101 Dalmations has a sequal. While I haven't seen any sequal Disney has produced I doubt it is anything like the book's sequal (I forgot the title but the book was rather strange from what little I can rememeber).

Not only does it have a sequel but its live action counterpart has a sequel as well.

I was aware of "102 Dalmations", but I wasn't sure about the animated version. Just out of interest, what is the animated sequal about?

Originally posted by CosmicDebris+Jul 3 2005, 12:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CosmicDebris &#064; Jul 3 2005, 12:45 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>As cool as 3D animated movies can be, my heart has been, and always will be with 2D. They&#39;re looking at the profits - the 3D movies are making more money, so they get rid of the 2D, not paying attention to the fact that the real reason why the recent 2D movies haven&#39;t been doing as well is because they&#39;re so cliche, formulated, and poorly imagined. Pixar movies are awesome because they have great stories and great characters.
    [/b]

=( I&#39;m sad too. And it&#39;s not just Disney, Dreamorks isn&#39;t doing traditional anymore either. :( So basically..... no one is doing 2d in America anymore.

What&#39;s ironic about all this though is that the creator of &#39;The Incredibles&#39;, was also the maker of my all time favorite move, &#39;The Iron Giant&#39;, which was 2d.

<!--QuoteBegin-Bounty1Berry
    @Jul 3 2005, 02:02 AM
    I really see CGI long term as more a threat to traditional acting.
    [/quote]It&#39;s much eaisier to have a guy dance in front of a camera than to design a guy dancing. ^^ Naw, I think that movies with little to no action won&#39;t be threatened at all. Besides, what would all the crazed fangirls say&#33;?? :lol:

Anyhoo, after Disney dumped it&#39;s traditional department, the artists broke up. One group became Legacy (which dosen&#39;t exist anymore), and the other is Firefly.

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Originally posted by OP Man@Jul 3 2005, 02:02 PM
    CGI is not a threat to traditional acting, but everything around it. The latest Star Wars trilogy was filmed mostly in CGI. In the future, there will be no need for stuntmen, real life action sequence, or even filming on location. The actors would just walk into the studio, do their thing and let the computers do the rest.
    [snapback]82759[/snapback]
    There will still be need for stuntmen. Even if scenes are shot in CGI there is still a need for people who can perform the stunts since in CGI the animators usually use motion capture. They used it in Lord of the Rings with Gollum, and chances are they also used it in Star Wars.

Originally posted by Forte EXE@Jul 2 2005, 08:58 PM
    WHAT&#33;
    The 2D animation dept was the workforce of Disney and they just closed it down???
    [snapback]82431[/snapback]
    The television department is still there, for all the good that it does. The quality obviously isn&#39;t up to the same level that the feature department was capable of.

Not too long ago, Disneyworld... I think it was Disneyworld... added a Lilo and Stitch ride. The guys working on it decided that a nice bonus would be some new animation of Stitch running around so they went and asked if the animation department could help them out.

Nope, since every animator who had worked on the film had already been let go. f I recall correctly, it was when the entire Florida studio was shutdown not all that long after it had received a very expensive upgrade.

So they outsourced the animation to another feature department. Let that sink in for a moment. DISNEY had to purchase ANIMATION of one of their OWN CHARACTERS from ANOTHER COMPANY.

Eisner is an frickin&#39; moron.
    Complicating things since 2009.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information