+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Universe

Default Re: Star Wars Universe

Darth Plagueis novel is out soon. Previews are looking very promising
    and lo and behold....even midichlorians are finally explained in graeter detail as to what they actually are.......
    I'm very tempted to buy this.....

For Christmas I got The Old Republic: Revan and Shadow Games. I'm the second part of Revan. It's pretty good so far. I just wish more of the crew would show up. I always get excited when they do appear. And so far, I think the book could use more pages. Sometimes I feel it goes too quickly. I'm so glad the book was written, though. Even since I played KOTOR I wanted a book about Revan. Though, I was thinking of something set before KOTOR, this is explaining things in the game.

Haven't started Shadow Games yet. I loved Michael Reaves Star Wars books so far, though, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

^ The Plagueis book is another one I've been hoping for for years. Too bad I probably can't get it right away.

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

I got The Essential Atlas for Christmas. I really enjoy reading it and seeing the effort that went into discussing the Galaxy's history and the logistical problems that you'd expect a galaxy-spanning civilization to have. I just wish they'd covered more planets in depth, even if they did already get most of the more important ones.

I'm on Hero's Trial in my effort to revisit the New Jedi Order series. I like this duology; it reminds me a lot of the two Han Solo trilogies. Lots of references to each, and to the Black Fleet Crisis, for some reason. But good god, even though there's a real-life precedent for this, the series would have been at least four books shorter if the government's collective heads weren't buried so deeply in the sand.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

I always liked the NJO series. The Vong were intriguing and a breath of fresh air, and Nom Anor is just such a despicably loveable character. Main problem for me was the slightly underwhelming climax, and that the Vongs main tactic in war was "securing victory over a mountain of our own dead", as Shimmra succinctly put it.

That everything in the excellent Traitor novel was appearantly horribly distorted and retconned later is one of the main reasons I've never ventured beyond the NJO. Instead, my gase is now fixed on all things Thrawn...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcelloF View Post
    For Christmas I got The Old Republic: Revan and Shadow Games. I'm the second part of Revan. It's pretty good so far. I just wish more of the crew would show up. I always get excited when they do appear. And so far, I think the book could use more pages. Sometimes I feel it goes too quickly. I'm so glad the book was written, though. Even since I played KOTOR I wanted a book about Revan. Though, I was thinking of something set before KOTOR, this is explaining things in the game.
    SWTOR.com has these nifty timeline videos that explain quite a bit about Revan's past and some pre-KOTOR stuff (as do the comics)

You definitely need to see how the KOTOR chapter bookends in SWTOR.

S'all I'm saying ;D

I think my main issue with the Vong was that to me their equipment come off as pretty overpowered. Like, creating a bacteria that turns a jungle world's surface completely to sludge in maybe, what, a half-hour? Shattering an entire moon to the point of being able to create a ring around a planet with its debris? Producing black holes willy-nilly? Of course, I'm talking about a universe where a single missile is able to blow up a star, ships can fly across an entire galaxy in about a week, and lest I forget, laser beams that blow up planets wholesale, so perhaps I'm just being picky.

But, that said, I did like how the New Jedi Order did go out of its way to be different and its much larger and ambitious scope compared to some of the previous Expanded Universe books, though I can easily see why others would not like it, and it does have its own share of problems. In my eyes mainly some unnecessary, throwaway deaths of C-list characters and some small inconsistent hiccups in the narrative which is admittedly inevitable when you have a twenty-book series written by thirteen different authors.

Well, maybe my revisiting of this controversial series after all these years will result in a new prospective for me.

I think you are being a bit unfair to the Vong, Crossword.

Especially when technology in the Star Wars Universe has seemed to have plateau'd THOUSANDS upon thousands of years ago and the reason it seems technology takes a step back (if ever) is due to the constant Galactic war that engulfs multiple star systems. The Death Star has been preceded by COUNTLESS (and more powerful weapons) but that still didn't make it less scary. The fact that the Vong could do these things never seemed like "too much" for me within the scope of the established "technological advancements."

Hell, even in the Old Republic Era there's some amazing (and dangerous) technology being tossed around.

But I'm sure there's a good reason why no one would remember things from over 3,000 years ago...
    Last edited by StrawHatRican; January 6th, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Oh and NJO rules.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    and lo and behold....even midichlorians are finally explained in graeter detail as to what they actually are.......
    Isn't this a reason to never pick it up.

Think it's time to let that one go...

It's canon - let's just move along with it.

I finished Revan today... Well, that ending was depressing >_> I guess it had to be for TOR...

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Isn't this a reason to never pick it up.
    Not really.
    Even from the first chapter of the book that is availble as preview on amazon, you can telll this is gonna be 1 amazing book.

I'm very very tempted to buy this, or maybe just a digital one for the moment - since i'm saving up every penny for a new comp & get me a copy of SW:TOR collectors edition....

i like john cena and randy playercena5241's Avatar

try to catch up with STAR WAS THE CLONE WARS THAT ARE ON DEMAND.

NEVER GIVE UP.
    STRAGHT EDGE MEANS I BETTER THAN U.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcelloF View Post
    I finished Revan today... Well, that ending was depressing >_> I guess it had to be for TOR...
    No good sir...

This is depressing.

Spoiler:
    You've been warned...
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHatRican View Post
    Think it's time to let that one go...

It's canon - let's just move along with it.
    Yeah let me take advice from you lol.

I thought the explanation they had settled on was ''midi-chlorians are attracted to beings strong in the Force and allow their power to be quantified,'' and not actually produce the Force, as it were.

I think explaining a mystic purposefully vague universal concept of spiritual power in any sort of way, let alone a scientific way is the very line where good writing becomes bad writing. Star Wars aside.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Which is another reason I ignore the EU stories. Because the Star Wars movies are, like virtually everything, better without every damn corner and rock turned over and looked into.

The Devil's best friend.

Which is another reason I ignore the EU stories. Because the Star Wars movies are, like virtually everything, better without every damn corner and rock turned over and looked into.

You actaully have a point here, the EU sorta takes away the wonder of Star Wars universe. But it does make it more bigger in scope I guess.

And some of them are better written then the films. Though personally I don't view them as ''canon'' at least to the films, they are canon to themselves.

Yeah let me take advice from you lol.
    Well, that was awkward.

o.o'

Pleasure to meet you too though.

Edit: >< oops... Zeph
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    I thought the explanation they had settled on was ''midi-chlorians are attracted to beings strong in the Force and allow their power to be quantified,'' and not actually produce the Force, as it were.
    I thought so as well, but someone out there wasn't happy with that (and let's be honest 99.99% of the SW fandom wasn't happy with the idea to begin with) and decided to expand on it.

That being said, I'm legitimately interested in what they will add to the canon.
    Last edited by StrawHatRican; January 7th, 2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Goddayum, the Force IS strong with me :D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    You actaully have a point here, the EU sorta takes away the wonder of Star Wars universe. But it does make it more bigger in scope I guess.

And some of them are better written then the films. Though personally I don't view them as ''canon'' at least to the films, they are canon to themselves.
    Yeah don't get me wrong here, I have indulged in the EU quite a bit, and from a young age at that. And there is definitely some cool stuff floating around in that vast realm (I fucking swear by that three part Cam Kennedy drawn Boba Fett comic book thing).
    But when it comes to the real Star Wars experience? Sitting down with the films? Or really just 4-6? I try my damndest to forget and ignore literally everything about the EU. Because that's really how it's best and meant to be anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHatRican View Post
    No good sir...

This is depressing.

Spoiler:
    You've been warned...
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Well, yeah.. It's ending leads up to that, Meetra's force ghost and Scourge's betrayal of the emperor.

The ending just had no one winning besides the emperor so it could lead into TOR

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information