+ Reply to Thread
Page 125 of 126 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 2516

Thread: Non-Disney animation thread

Default Re: Non-Disney animation thread

well at least its something original compared to those 'other' movies.

edit: but i got to admit, im really digging the 2.5 look on tom and jerry.
    Last edited by Cyborg009; November 17th, 2020 at 09:27 PM.
    NintendoID: Zodiark14

I'm feeling some powerful Country Bear vibes off of this to the point where I expected Christopher Walken to pop up in the trailer.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I'm feeling some powerful Country Bear vibes off of this to the point where I expected Christopher Walken to pop up in the trailer.
    Oh man. Is his character from Mouse Hunt going to make a comeback?

I'm pretty sure the right thing to compare is Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I just got done watching the 1977 Rankin/Bass version of the Hobbit and...it was pretty dang good? I was honestly surprised how much I liked it. The animation is limited, some of the designs - Smaug especially - is a bit weird, and the frequent songs are an acquired taste...but it has real atmosphere, great performances, the big scenes hit home, and after what the Peter Jackson trilogy turned into, a breezier more whimsical version of the story was just what I wanted. Recommended, if people ever come across it.

That's an old classic. I fucking love the animation style.

On the subject of character designs, I'm not sure what the deal with Cat Smaug was or a Thranduil that looked more like a goblin than an elf, but Gollum is one that has a decent explanation in that a lot of illustrated versions, particularly those that were drawn before the rewritten version of The Hobbit that followed The Lord of The Rings came out, depicted him as a froggish creature. Another common trend was to draw him as being absolutely massive compared to Bilbo but that didn't happen here.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Now that I think about it, Cat Smaug might be the result of a character designer interpreting the horns in Tolkien's drawings of Smaug as being little cat ears.

I grew up watching the Rankin/Bass Hobbit. Yes, the character designs are odd (that's a Rankin/Bass thing), but it's still good. Their Return of the King (intended to finish what Baskshi couldn't), not so sure about. But maybe worth it for "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way".

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

I always think of three scenes whenever anybody brings up that one.
    • Where There's A Whip, There's a Way. Obviously.
    • A Nazgul flying in and having his steed perch on a castle we just watched completely collapse.
    • And this,

because of what happens near the very end. The whole thing needs to be watched to get the full effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    On the subject of character designs, I'm not sure what the deal with Cat Smaug was or a Thranduil that looked more like a goblin than an elf, but Gollum is one that has a decent explanation in that a lot of illustrated versions, particularly those that were drawn before the rewritten version of The Hobbit that followed The Lord of The Rings came out, depicted him as a froggish creature. Another common trend was to draw him as being absolutely massive compared to Bilbo but that didn't happen here.
    Even post-LOTR, there's plenty of foreign editions that depict Gollum as froglike or even larger than Bilbo.

I'm always partial to the froggish or ichtiyic version because I always get a Caliban-vibe from Gollum, intentional or not.

Hullabaloo is still going. They are like 95% done and estimate that the first two shorts will be done by February.

Finishing stuff like this:

Oh my. What is that?

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Oh my it's been what, 5-6 years since I saw this on /co/...took them that long huh?

The trailer for Lone Gone Gulch from a couple years ago popped up as a recommended video for me on Youtube the other day; guess that's why.

The Secret of Kells/Song of the Sea folks have another one that JUST came out.

They also apparently did another one in 2017 I totally missed, The Breadwinner.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

Wolfwalkers is easily the best of the bunch (and I was in awe with Song of the Sea)

I would love to watch this movie, but it seems it's only on one streaming service, which is a shame. I would buy it because it looks interesting.

I saw Wolfwalkers in theaters through a Fathom event and it's really wonderful. I especially love the illustrated storybook style it had.

The Breadwinner is also extremely good and shows that Cartoon Saloon can branch out in other types of films.

Secret of Kells - Good from a technical aspect, but...I dunno. I didn't really get it.
    Song of the Sea - Very lovely movie. Has a timeless fairy tale feel to it.
    The Breadwinner - I remember loving it when I watched it, but honestly barely remember any of it now. I should rewatch it.

Haven't seen Wolfwalkers, but I'll definitely check it out as soon as it becomes more...available.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information