+ Reply to Thread
Page 122 of 139 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 132 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 2771

Thread: Non-Disney animation thread

Default Re: Non-Disney animation thread

That is definitely true. Merch-focused networks like to give the impression that their shows are never ending, since people are more likely to stop watching when there's some finality to the experience. That's why Gravity Falls took so long to reveal it was ending, and why channels like Cartoon Network prefer to greenlight episodic things, despite there being such a high audience demand for serialized things.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Fingers crossed for the big announcement tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    That part is a myth that he spread after he was fired four episodes into the second season. The show got made despite him, since he was terrible to work with in every way. It was the rest of the staff on the show that made it what it was, and that is evidenced by how bad every John K thing has been after Ren & Stimpy. The best episodes of the show happened after John K was fired. Even if he has a credit on it, that's more like a saying there was a deadweight chained to that ep's production.

I agree, though, that Ren & Stimpy was dated and this reboot is a weak cash grab that's just giving one of the shittiest people in animation attention. It sucks knowing how many incredible pilots don't get greenlit, but this gets rushed to production.
    My take after reading Sick Little Monkeys and watching the show years ago is this:

- John K needed talented people to help make his visions possible and without them his best cartoons wouldn’t be possible (which is true in most cases of a collaborative medium like animation whether that person is Chuck Jones or Hayao Miyazaki, both of whom have quite a bit more in common with John K than fans of either three would admit).

- That said, the man’s perfectionist nature (and I don’t think that’s separate from him being an asshole, anything but) with his constant redoing of layouts and decision to make Ren & Stimpy indulge in immaturity is a huge reason why Ren & Stimpy was what it was; even after he was gone, there’s still people of asking “what would John do?” That's why the Game episodes actually had a lot of the same problems with meeting schedules and going overbudget (though because they were employees and less combative, this was less of a problem for Nick).

- The average episode made at Spumco is as good and bad as the average one from Game; the difference is I personally find the best Spumco episodes (there's really only a handful: Space Madness; Stimpy’s Invention; Sven Hoek, which was mostly completed at Spumco, all come to mind) are better than the best that came out of Games. I find that mix of unsettling* and funny to be more interested and successfully executed than comparatively attempts in the later seasons, and it's those episodes that actually make Ren & Stimpy more than simply better than its many clones like Angry Beavers, Cow and Chicken or Shnookums and Meat.

- About half of season 2 was either completed or entering post-production when John K was fired, the rest were storyboarded. A few other episodes in later seasons began as outlines from him. It’s true though a lot of those cartoons that credit John as director are wrong past Son of Stimpy.

- It’s not surprising that John K never created anything else worthwhile; besides what I've said above, the man was flat out unwilling to compromise on creative control (which isn’t super surprising, he got fired from his show, which made him guarded) and let all the praise go to his head, where a less egotistical person would have learned and even accepted being a follower instead of a leader. But what can you expect from someone who has Ralph Bakashi as a mentor (there's another person who hit it big one time and never produced anything good afterwards).

*Unsettling being what's on-screen; personally, I think it's 100 % reasonable to have a pit in your stomach while watching Ren & Stimpy knowing the backstory of its creator (and we really shouldn't view our entertainment in a vacuum even though we obviously do much of the time). I watched the famous "Happy Happy Joy Joy" segment of Stimpy's Invention a few weeks ago and there was always a part of me that was cringing while smiling; similar to how it is when I look at Guernica (oh, look another pedophile).

Even before I knew anything about John K or the production of Ren and Stimpy that I know now, my favorite episodes were always from post-John K (Hermit Ren is my all time fave and that's a season 4 ep). Quality can be subjective, and the first season had the most impact because the material is fresh, but the stuff I find myself coming back to is always the later stuff.

I haven't sorted through the history of the show, and I trust what you have to say about it, but I get the feeling that John K's involvement wasn't the magic screw that brought it all together. The common thread in his works is that he's gross, mean, not that funny and pretty full of himself.

Either way it's clear that his gross shitty shadow looms over the show and anything involving the show's name.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

And thus we officially have a thread for it.

New teaser for Yolo: Crystal Fantasy.

Spoiler:
    Their right, I do want more Metalapocalypse.

So they're remaking Blazing Saddles into . . . . an animated, family-friendly story about samurai cats and dogs:
    https://movieweb.com/blazing-samurai...pnxeH6clJ7c75U

I REALLY don't know if this is re-doable. Even if Rob Minkoff (Lion King) is producing. Does Mel Brooks know about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    So they're remaking Blazing Saddles into . . . . an animated, family-friendly story about samurai cats and dogs:

I REALLY don't know if this is re-doable. Even if Rob Minkoff (Lion King) is producing. Does Mel Brooks know about this?
    I would say that Mel would be spinning in his grave but he is still live 'n' kicking so wtf?! According to the wikia he served as executive producer an voiced a character, I guess you just can't say no to easy money when you are 94.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    This is what, the third of fourth spin off announced? Did Nick really waited Hillenburg to die just to milk his series even more?

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post

This is what, the third of fourth spin off announced? Did Nick really waited Hillenburg to die just to milk his series even more?
    There was another spin-off outside of Camp Coral?

There was another spin-off outside of Camp Coral?
    Apparently Netflix would do one with Squidward.

It kinda pisses me off that Nickelodeon still insists of being all about this one cartoon with a sponge when they could invest on The Rise of TMNT instead.

Sure, it had a rather weak start, but boy did that show got so much better now.

This is the only spin-off Spongebob deserves and I even hate how hard it tries in some aspects.

Warning: PG-16
    Spoiler:

It kinda pisses me off that Nickelodeon still insists of being all about this one cartoon with a sponge when they could invest on The Rise of TMNT instead.

So they really cancelled the show, instead of a S2 consisting of 26 episodes there were 13, which 4 of them are the ending.
    That sucks, I saw some of the fights animation ans they were awesome, it gave me interest in the series.

Oh boy.., Spongebob is getting up there with all of those Rugrats spinoffs. This is one of the reasons, why I don't watch Nick besides for Power Rangers.

I would like a spin-off about Stump from Angry Beavers, actually.

I would like a spin-off about Stump from Angry Beavers, actually.
    Same here. But we know that won't happen due to what happened with the unaired series finale of Angry Beavers.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post

Well, to try and be on the positive side.

1. Samurai and Western films have long since been interchanged with each other for remakes. The most famous example being Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven, both of which were great but very different films.
    2. Using animal people is a GREAT way to do allegory for kids without getting into the nitty gritty of racism/sexism/ etc. Zootopia was a great example of this.
    3. Kung Fu Panda exists.

That said, those are all super high bars for any project to meet and/or match, and this is a studio that hasn't done *anything* animated before, and none of the names attached ring any bells as heavyweights in the field, so there's not a whole lot of reason to expect much from it at this time.

I'd say right now expect something less liek the above mentioned thigns, and something more like Gnomeo and Juliet, something getting made purely on the pitch of the title.

The Rise of TMNT instead.
    As a lifelong TMNT fan that collected all the comics up to a point and watched ALL the shows... including the live action one...

Rise of the TMNT *LOOKS* awful. I haven't watched a single episode so I am making zero judgements about the quality of either the start or how it got later, but the character designs and animation style just LOOK offputting and made me go "You know what, I've had enough turtles in my life, I think I can skip this one unless I hear good things about it."

Until your post I had hear *nothing* about it. Not good, not bad, NOTHING. And its ratings are BAAAAAAAAD. Like the 2012 series pulled in 3.00 rating its first season, and 2.50 ratings the seasons after that, then sliding to 1.00 by its final season... Rise at the start of season 1 was pulling in .95-.50 ratings, which are pretty weak... and by the end of the season was pulling in .05 ratings. Not .5 but .05. I don't know what kind of horrendous timeslot or lack of advertising they did to manage that, but that is AWFUL. (The 2011 Thundercats toon was cancelled for getting ratings in the 1.5 range.) Season 2 seems to have followed suit with .5 bleeding into .1 and .05, and those are insanely bad "cancel this right now and just put the rest out online or in one afternoon" numbers. There is NO arguing numbers that bad.

I have to assume those numbers also mean they are not selling any merch, which is also all-important with the Turtles.

it's probably a better bet to let the franchise rest a year or two and then take another stab at rebooting it again, they didn't really give it any breathing room between 2012 and Rise, whereas all previous versions have had a couple years between them.

Spongebob meanwhile in its 11ths season was still getting 1.50-2.20 ratings for new episodes, consistently one of the top 15 rated shows of the day with its new episodes (up against ratings juggernaut of wrestling!) and thats WITH 200 episode behind it and nonstop reruns,, so... that decision makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by Robby; August 11th, 2020 at 01:42 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

That gives them better incentive to fuck it up or let it be fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Spongebob meanwhile in its 11ths season was still getting 1.50-2.20 ratings for new episodes, consistently one of the top 15 rated shows of the day with its new episodes (up against ratings juggernaut of wrestling!)
    Ehhhhh WWE's ratings hasn't had juggernaut level ratings in two decades and up til the pandemic they were generally getting higher but still low ratings.....and like Spongebob putting out bad reptitious shit all the while.

Spongebob meanwhile in its 11ths season
    and thats WITH 200 episode behind it and nonstop reruns,, so... that decision makes perfect sense.
    12 and 248 but whos counting at this point.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; August 11th, 2020 at 02:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    12 and 248 but whos counting at this point.
    WIki didn't have numbers on season 12, so I was using numbers from last year.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information