+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2246

Thread: Non-Disney animation thread

Default Re: Non-Disney animation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    This is the only place I've seen negativity toward the Scoob trailer.
    I'm... I'm surprised.

Nearly every other place I've been to already has negativity for the trailer solely for the fact that Lilard's not voicing Shaggy (and worse, he wasn't even informed about it)

I agree with Pachylad. I've seen lots of negativity.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Frank Welker not playing Fred is the bigger heresy, though at least he gets to keep Scooby (wouldn't really shock me if there just isn't anyone else who can do the voice as consistently as Welker does.)

Recasting Fred while keeping Frank on in another role is just bizarre to me; I guess they felt nobody else could do the Scooby voice as well but that's true of Fred as well.

Screwing over Matthew Lillard is a dick move though not surprising since they did the same thing to Mindy Cohn a few years ago. That said, it's pretty bad that Scoob! doesn't even manage to get the one thing right that even the live-action movies did. Sure, they gave him awful material to work with but Lillard was perfect as a live-action Shaggy.
    Complicating things since 2009.

In happier news:

Just when we thought we wouldn't get any Hazbin Hotel stuff for years, this appears! Not, it's not Hazbin, but it's set in the same Hell! Of course now I'm just waiting to see if Alastor shows up.

I'm always happy to hear Richard Horvitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Recasting Fred while keeping Frank on in another role is just bizarre to me; I guess they felt nobody else could do the Scooby voice as well but that's true of Fred as well.
    To be fair isn't he the only voice actor from the original series that stayed on to do the role while every one else retired?

So they were never in a position to try someone else like with all the other characters.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    To be fair isn't he the only voice actor from the original series that stayed on to do the role while every one else retired?

So they were never in a position to try someone else like with all the other characters.
    Pup Named Scooby Doo aside, Frank Welker has been the ONLY one to voice Fred for the last FIFTY YEARS. That even includes offshoot stuff like Family Guy or Lego movies. It's sacrilege to get anyone else while he's still up for it. especially when you already have him on ANYWAY doing Scooby.

Especially for Zac_Efron?!?

The only exception i can think of is Robot Chicken and they used the live action movie cast, but still bring in Frank to do Dr. Claw or Megatron whenever they show up.
    Last edited by Robby; November 15th, 2019 at 07:58 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

To be fair, Frank is getting up there in years, we don't know how much he's able to do right now.

Although seriously, Fred shouldn't be hard to voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    In happier news:

Just when we thought we wouldn't get any Hazbin Hotel stuff for years, this appears! Not, it's not Hazbin, but it's set in the same Hell! Of course now I'm just waiting to see if Alastor shows up.
    He praise thee Alastor for this show to be a hit and Hazbin be picked for production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    To be fair, Frank is getting up there in years, we don't know how much he's able to do right now.

Although seriously, Fred shouldn't be hard to voice.
    It's his normal speaking voice. And he played the part in the Guess Who series and the Zombie Island movie, both this year and he sounded exactly the same as ever..

They replaced him because they wanted Zac Effron, not because he can't do the voice anymore.

If they DIDN'T have him for Scooby, it'd be one thing as they were just doing a wholesale recast, they also didn't use Matthew Lillard who's been Shaggy for over a decade. But to have him in the studio and to then go "no, the character you've done for 50 years isn't you anymore" is just... ugh.
    Last edited by Robby; November 15th, 2019 at 11:00 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Fred pretty much disappeared for about twenty years though; sure, he was in Pup but they did cast somebody else there. Fred probably had about as many lines in the Johnny Bravo crossover alone as he did in everything besides APNSD in the two previous decades combined. So, yeah, they didn't try to replace him but the adult version of the character wasn't really used enough to bother replacing.

Far as the rest of the cast goes, Messick kept his role as Scooby until right before he passed away and was pretty much totally unable to do the voice. Messick even played him in the Burger King commercials that made Casey Kasem quit Shaggy for several years. Both of those were pretty consistent though since Kasem worked out a deal with the producers and played the character for a few more years until he wasn't able to do it anymore. Velma and Daphne were the characters that had to be constantly recast.

Far as the rest of the cast goes, Messick kept his role as Scooby until right before he passed away and was pretty much totally unable to do the voice. Messick even played him in the Burger King commercials that made Casey Kasem quit Shaggy for several years.
    When was this ?
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

When was this ?
    Around 1996. Messick died in '97 but had to beg off earlier that year from performing Scooby at public events since he said the raspy voice put too much stress on his throat.

Scott Innes might have done some of the ads as well since he took over the role around that time and played Scooby up until about 2002, which is when Frank started playing him as well as Fred. That was also when Kasem worked out a deal to make Shaggy a vegetarian and went back to playing the character. Billy West played Shaggy in the four DTV movies from Zombie Island to Cyber-Chase.

That was also when Kasem worked out a deal to make Shaggy a vegetarian

Alright that's enough history for me for one day.

It's funnier when you know who else the VAs previously dubbed.

Billy West played Shaggy in the four DTV movies from Zombie Island to Cyber-Chase.
    West was only Shaggy for Zombie Island. Innes played booth Scooby and Shaggy from Witch's Ghost to Cyber Chase.

And I suppose I'm the only one who's never cared for Frank Welker as Scooby. Ever since What's New, I just couldn't get into it.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post

That was nice. Hope we can get a go soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    West was only Shaggy for Zombie Island. Innes played booth Scooby and Shaggy from Witch's Ghost to Cyber Chase.

And I suppose I'm the only one who's never cared for Frank Welker as Scooby. Ever since What's New, I just couldn't get into it.
    Same too deep and raspy.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post

*snort* Hazbin Hotel was better, but how can you not like this? Also will have that jingle in my head all day.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information