+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: o.O Fansubs just died.

Default o.O Fansubs just died.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pres...t-of-one-piece

Starting 30 May, "Released one hour after Japan". And apparently to follow with a skip forward in the American manga release.

Okay. I now realize this was posted already (note to self: skim for things other than "Chapter xxxx discussion"), so let's try to re-spin this into a useful discussion.

I wonder if this will really level the fansub market. One Piece was one of the few big brands without anything passable as a recent release.

Default Re: o.O Fansubs just died.

Quote Originally Posted by Funimation streaming website
    This content is not available in your territory.
    So, they're not really dying. It's happening the same with FMA: Brotherhood, people outside the US territory still need fansubs.
    AFAIK, the video quality isn't that great either.
    Last edited by goty; May 14th, 2009 at 08:01 PM.

I'll get it, so that's awesome. PROFESSIONALLY subbed One Piece. That's wussup!

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

Fansubs aren't going anywhere for One Piece. I am in the US and I will still need to grab the fansubs. Funimation's website just doesn't stream properly for me no matter what show I try to watch. Constant buffering makes watching unbearable. I don't have such problems with Hulu or any similar site.

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

followed soon thereafter by FUNimation partner sites.
    You won't only be able to get One Piece from just the FUNi site. We don't know which ones will show subbed One Piece, but it'll show elsewhere.

Also, why is there a second thread for this exact same piece of news?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Because I'm an idiot who didn't notice the first thread. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bounty1Berry View Post
    Because I'm an idiot who didn't notice the first thread. :)
    Then maybe you should have contacted a mod to lock or delete this thread?

Well, I figured maybe I could salvage it by discussing if it will really change the fansub marketplace.

There are really two places I expect strong and "justifiable" fansub activity. People who want Naruto can get it legitimately, so people fansubbing that are probably now just doing it for the sake of continuity (people like their sub and are comfortable with it)

* Quagmire series-- One Piece until today was the model for these. The bulk of the series makes it a commitment that many firms won't want to try to take on, and even if they do buy into it, it's often met with a "I don't want to see season 1, I want to see episode 405 BEFORE IT'S ANIMATED!" from the fanbase.

* Niche-market series-- the series simply doesn't sell well (too Japanese, not Japanese enough, too obscure), but it has a devoted fanbase. IMO, these are the ones they should let be-- a licensor can't make any money off it, but they could end up alienating customers.

With this (sudden) level of engagement, it's clear that few, if any series, are too big and bulky to be adapted to legitimate streaming/licensing. So the logical direction for fansubs is to go to increasingly niche, 'unmarketable' series.

so this is mean they speed up the manga releases?

It's an issue for fansubs but only if Funimation tells them to stop.

Let me show you my Will... Geo D. Pierce's Avatar

fansubbers will never die :P

In Oda We Trust

Seagull stole my Sanji :O TealBlueShore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirt monkey AL View Post
    You won't only be able to get One Piece from just the FUNi site...it'll show elsewhere.
    FUNimation's got their own account on YouTube. Do you suppose they'll start posting the episodes there too?
    www.freerice.com Help the hungry one question at a time

Somehow, I think with the amount that Vegapunk is under right now,
    I think they'll use this as an excuse to stop, I don't want them to, but I think they will.

Also, Funimation can't really send C&D to all the Subbers, some of them are on & off, some of them do it one week & not the next. They can't send letters to the ones that do it like fnas.

A Reason that Viz sent the C&D to Dattebayo, was becvause I think they feared them.
    Dattebayo presented Free, Subtitled HD episodes that rivaled their own, therefore they had to stop.

All these little anonymous subbers & raw uploaders will not stop & won't be stopping any time soon. Do Not Worry.

I personally don't see the point of streaming eps and want the actual episode on my hd for it to mean anything, and also for archiving purposes. Otherwise your just relying on an online stream being up and can't actually collect the series. Plus I hate the way Funimation subs the show and don't want the names translated out or any of the other stupid stuff they do.
    Last edited by Skull Kid; May 15th, 2009 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Kid View Post
    I personally don't see the point of streaming eps and want the actual episode on my hd for it to mean anything, and also for archiving purposes. Plus I hate the way Funimation subs the show and don't want the names translated out or any of the other stupid stuff they do.
    The point is to show fans One Piece and Toei is the one that subs it you know

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

No, Mato subs it. He works for FUNi.

TealBlueShore: Hell, if I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Oh I did not know sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Strawhat View Post
    The point is to show fans One Piece and Toei is the one that subs it you know

Yes, but if people stop subbing because of it then no one will be able to actually collect and archive the series, which is vastly better than relying on some online stream.

This is fine and all unless Funi starts handing out cease and desists. If they do, I hope the majority of the One Piece fansub groups react the way Eclipse (who subs FMA Brotherhood) did and ignore it, while continuing to sub. Those guys are awesome. If they can keep subbing after getting a cease and desist with nothing happening to them as a result, then why should any fansub group be worried?

Striking a Pose. Where the world is real.

Yes, but if people stop subbing because of it then no one will be able to actually collect and archive the series, which is vastly better than relying on some online stream.

This is fine and all unless Funi starts handing out cease and desists. If they do, I hope the majority of the One Piece fansub groups react the way Eclipse (who subs FMA Brotherhood) did and ignore it, while continuing to sub. Those guys are awesome. If they can keep subbing after getting a cease and desist with nothing happening to them as a result, then why should any fansub group be worried?
    Funimation has been handing out cease and desist messages out to fansubbers for a long time and what do they do? Fansubbers just go on with what their doing. Fansubbers aren't going anywhere 'cause they aren't going down anytime sooner. I still rather watch fansubs since I like how they translate most things. Well, the terms that I like in the anime.

I personally don't see the point of streaming eps and want the actual episode on my hd for it to mean anything, and also for archiving purposes.
    Streaming online would provide Funi with alot of online revenue. They see the popularity of subs, which are more popular than the TV stints and the DVDs and want to cash in on it. For them it's a great idea.. and I will withhold judgment until I see it for myself.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information