+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shadow of Collosus: The Movie?

Default Shadow of Collosus: The Movie?

Sony's brilliant Playstation 2 game Shadow of the Colossus is becoming grist for the Hollywood blockbuster mill, in what appears to not, unfortunately, be a horrible, horrible joke. Might want to pour a stiff drink.

According to the Hollywood Reporter's Risky Biz Blog, Sony Pictures will be tackling Shadow of the Colossusfor a movie adaptation with producer Kevin Misher, responsible for films such as The Scorpion King and The Interpreter, as well as the upcoming fighting movie Fighting. Now here's where it gets... rough. Got that drink yet?

The screenplay for the Shadow of the Colossus feature is reported to be penned by Justin Marks. He's the same man responsible for the not-so-great Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, if that rings any bells.
    The 2005 game, which focuses on the adventures of Wander and his horse Agro, was minimal on dialogue, so a filmed version would be... interesting.
    No planned release date for the film, but hopefully we'll all be dead from a nuclear holocaust or black plague by that point.
    http://kotaku.com/5202716/shadow-of-...-all-hope-lost

I'm flabbergasted.

Angry Re: Oh look another Video Game being made into movies!

He's the same man responsible for the not-so-great Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, if that rings any bells.
    NERD RAGE.

NRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!11!! !!!!!!!!!!1!

Default Re: Oh look another Video Game being made into movies!

Great. Just what we need! A movie about a silent protagonist fighting giant monsters.

We don't need a movie. We need an HD remake or sequel. :(

I'd say Carue was a Lucky Ducky | YouTube Page

Also it appears Hollywood is also making a Full Metal Panic Movie, staring Zac Effron.
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=8224

Quote Originally Posted by Russel View Post
    Also it appears Hollywood is also making a Full Metal Panic Movie, staring Zac Effron.
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=8224
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I never played Shadow of the Colossus. Should I?

^^ it looks quiet decent...it`s all about the boss fights...i personally think it`s a great game but without that muchdiffernce...

go to a giant..kill him...go to a giant...kill him...over and over again
    UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san/S.Gaban
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil┤s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney┤s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha┤s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFSpider/Wind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

hmmm, this game reminded me of Smaurai Jack, since he is mostly not so sociable guy (and I wish they don't make a movie of SJ, even though it might work well, just WALL E, which is a masterpiece)

Seriously though, shouldn't they do a movie of a famous game coughhalocough (and of course they should have Peter Jackson do it). I did heard it got a 9.2 rating from critics (which I checked in gamespot)

i seen that news in g4.com. OH GOD THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO SUCK MONKEY TITS.(just noticed the full metal panic news)COME ON!!!!!!(zack effron do`s not even seem like a person that can keep a serious face)and he looks to girlie...... there i said it
    i had a straw hat but it became to small for me I'm a living One Piece anime ad

It could be great and epic if they play it near silent and moody and just develop the bond with the horse. Pick out 6 of the 12 most interesting visually Collosi (The first one, the flying one, over the water, one of the two small ones, and the last giant castle one all spring to mind) and have epic 10 minute action sequences akin almost exactly to what goes on in the game, and it would be amazing and mesmerizing. Not puns, no sidekicks, no triumph as he kills each collosus, just a sort of sadness. Just roll like the game, starting with the girl unconcious, have the hero hunt down the collosi... and every time he defeats one we get a fashback about him and the girl, and his makeup makes him a little more demonic and less human. He then gets up, looks longingly at the princess, and then rides his horse for another 3 or 4 minutes, explores the surroundings, and gets suprirsed by the next monster, just like in the game.

But there is *NO ONE* in Hollywood that could pull it off or even try. Weta could get the visuals... Miyazaki could get the visuals AND tone, but he woudn't be interested in something violent. Viggo Mortensen could get the character and respect right. Del Toro after Pan's Labrynth could possibly pull it off.

But nobody is going to get the lonely quiet movie, no one is going to get the poetic sadness of killing the beasts. For dailouge-less movies in the last 20 years we've had what... Robot Carnival, Tripletts of Bellville, Wall-E and Castaway? Pixar and Tom Hanks names to carry the idea, and foreign snooty (but amazing) french film about bicycling, and an anime no ones heard of for the others.

No. There will be a miserable sidekick goofball that wants to be a hero. The girl will be awake and anarguing bitch most of the film, possibly unconscious during the last fight. The monster fights will lack the feel and spectacle of the game, and the hero will be triumphant every time he takes one down. The addition of sidekick and arguing female character and obvious villain will eat up 70 minutes of screen time, so there will only be 3 monster fights, one at the very start, one in the middle, and one at the end, instead of the 6-12 action sequences we should rightly be treated to.

Miyazaki could do it. But no one else in the industry, especially not the AMERICAN industy, has the clout or the vision to even try and do it right. When even novels with pre-built narrative and dialouge like Harry Potter, Golden Compass and that bastard child Eragoncan't be done right, theres no chance for something like this.

Especially not from that ass who wrote the Street Fighter movie.
    Last edited by Robby; April 8th, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

...and once again, Robby proves that he'd be better at writing this stuff than the people who actually do.
    この世に悪があるとすればそれは人の心だ。

If it was like that I could just instead watch somebody playing the game for the same effect. Expect the movie would probably have a better frame rate (hey, I bet out there somewhere is a fan who wants the movie to have the frame rate drops too so it will be just like the game ).

Loved the game. I even bought the soundtrack. I hope they have lotsa cash to burn because I want to see some kick ass special effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizoku's Soul View Post
    i seen that news in g4.com. OH GOD THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO SUCK MONKEY TITS.(just noticed the full metal panic news)COME ON!!!!!!(zack effron do`s not even seem like a person that can keep a serious face)and he looks to girlie...... there i said it
    Considering certain things I don't see what's wrong with him looking a bit girlie.

Quote Originally Posted by robbybevard View Post
    It could be great and epic if they play it near silent and moody and just develop the bond with the horse. Pick out 6 of the 12 most interesting visually Collosi (The first one, the flying one, over the water, one of the two small ones, and the last giant castle one all spring to mind) and have epic 10 minute action sequences akin almost exactly to what goes on in the game, and it would be amazing and mesmerizing. Not puns, no sidekicks, no triumph as he kills each collosus, just a sort of sadness. Just roll like the game, starting with the girl unconcious, have the hero hunt down the collosi... and every time he defeats one we get a fashback about him and the girl, and his makeup makes him a little more demonic and less human. He then gets up, looks longingly at the princess, and then rides his horse for another 3 or 4 minutes, explores the surroundings, and gets suprirsed by the next monster, just like in the game.

But there is *NO ONE* in Hollywood that could pull it off or even try. Weta could get the visuals... Miyazaki could get the visuals AND tone, but he woudn't be interested in something violent. Viggo Mortensen could get the character and respect right. Del Toro after Pan's Labrynth could possibly pull it off.

But nobody is going to get the lonely quiet movie, no one is going to get the poetic sadness of killing the beasts. For dailouge-less movies in the last 20 years we've had what... Robot Carnival, Tripletts of Bellville, Wall-E and Castaway? Pixar and Tom Hanks names to carry the idea, and foreign snooty (but amazing) french film about bicycling, and an anime no ones heard of for the others.

No. There will be a miserable sidekick goofball that wants to be a hero. The girl will be awake and anarguing bitch most of the film, possibly unconscious during the last fight. The monster fights will lack the feel and spectacle of the game, and the hero will be triumphant every time he takes one down. The addition of sidekick and arguing female character and obvious villain will eat up 70 minutes of screen time, so there will only be 3 monster fights, one at the very start, one in the middle, and one at the end, instead of the 6-12 action sequences we should rightly be treated to.

Miyazaki could do it. But no one else in the industry, especially not the AMERICAN industy, has the clout or the vision to even try and do it right. When even novels with pre-built narrative and dialouge like Harry Potter, Golden Compass and that bastard child Eragoncan't be done right, theres no chance for something like this.

Especially not from that ass who wrote the Street Fighter movie.
    If they made it like that it'd probably get the same reception as Watchmen.

but with a presumable smaller box office gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoska View Post
    If it was like that I could just instead watch somebody playing the game for the same effect.
    The point would be, the movie would expose it to millions of peoplethat never saw the game. but is going to suck no matter what, so not much point in dwelling on it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

SotC was one thing... but Fullmetal Panic?! Oh my f'in' god...

I still need to finish this game after all these years.

I will go see both SotC and FMP and will enjoy them to the fullest.

Spoiler:
    and then hate myself for doing so

Marketing geek stuff to mass media seems to be the popular business nowadays, huh..
    If only they don't faiL so much!!
    They should at least let people who are actually fans aNd are talented handle the project.. they obviously just sell 'em out which is sad >_>

I wish they can put some of the music from the games into the film..Too bad it never happens..the Fight against the Colossus music would be great in the film
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information