+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wheel of Time (Spoiler Warning)

Default Re: The Wheel of Time (Spoiler Warning)

Quote Originally Posted by Huschel View Post
    I am shocked that some people include Knife of Dreams (11) when they talk about the slog
    You're being more generous than most by saying its fine up through book 8.

As for the slog... were you reading the books as they came out, or were some or most of those already finished before you got to them? Because two year wait between the volumes added a lot to the slog. There's a big differece between books 7-11 taking 3 months, and in taking ten years. (and then another four before Sanderson could get 12 out)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    You're being more generous than most by saying its fine up through book 8.
    More generous than many, not most, is my point. But maybe that's not much of a difference.

As for the slog... were you reading the books as they came out, or were some or most of those already finished before you got to them? Because two year wait between the volumes added a lot to the slog. There's a big differece between books 7-11 taking 3 months, and in taking ten years. (and then another four before Sanderson could get 12 out)
    You're right. I think Crossroads of Twilight was the first one I waited for. I'm not entirely sure though because I was still reading the German books then and they were split into multiple volumes. Knife of Dreams was definitely the first English book I had to wait for.
    It's like any ongoing series. We can see it with One Piece, too. On a week to week basis, many arcs may seem to be dragging on and on, but once you have the ability to just keep going (on a re-read or when you're still catching up), those things don't bother you all that much or may not even register. The Wheel of Time is a finished story, thank the Light, so anybody who starts it can just get all the way to the satisfying ending conclusion.

How original is it to still have this in my signature 5 years later?

Nah, even on re-read when it was all together the middle was still a ridiculous slog. that's *lessened* by being able to sprint through it, but that's still several thousand pages that could have been done in hunreds. 7-11 could have easilly been two books rather than five.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Oh, trailer. From two weeks ago, lol.

They are failing hard in their advertising if this stuff isn't reaching *me* in a timely manner. Still 10 million views ain't bad.

This actually has an opportunity to be a Game of Thrones with a superior adaptation to the source material and a not shitty ending. They can literally cover 3 books in one season and say what you will about the books in the mid portion, Brandon Sanderson stuck that landing.

Looking back, the good part about WoT was ~80-90% world--still holds up!--and the writing/characters/plot were all fine but pretty middle-of-the-road fantasy. Not sure how that's going to translate to a show, but I hope it does well. I still have a good deal of respect for what Robert Jordan tried to do and how hard he worked on it until the day he died.

Figure a good analogue will be the struggle to translate Dune to the big screen or a mini-series.

Halfway through the first book, I like it so far

I still have no idea where the story is going

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I still have no idea where the story is going
    That is perfectly normal in this case. No spoilers, but that is intentional. It makes the course of things clear later, and then once you know you'll be able to look back and see the pieces that were there hinting at it, but it very intentionally doesn't give the main plot away until you're ready for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    Figure a good analogue will be the struggle to translate Dune to the big screen or a mini-series.
    I hear good things about the newest movie... and I want to see it... but not until its been confirmed they're actually going to make the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    This actually has an opportunity to be a Game of Thrones with a superior adaptation to the source material and a not shitty ending. They can literally cover 3 books in one season and say what you will about the books in the mid portion, Brandon Sanderson stuck that landing.
    The showrunner apparently worked out an 8 season plan before they even started. And while that's ambitious, it sounds just about right to adapt this particular work. I hope it can that far.

Same with the Foundation series that I *just* found out is coming like, next week. How did I not hear about THAT either?

It's tough because both shows are airing on like, Apple TV and Amazon Prime. Both are intending this to be their big hook Game of Thrones hoping to draw in huge audiences to make the worth the budget and commitment, but... not exactly HBO.

The thing is, I like both novel series and... they're not game of thrones. They have the epic scope and intrigue to work, but they lack the violence and sex and gore that drew people into GoT. If these minor stations are hoping for GoT numbers, they are likely going to be very disappointed.

So the almighty algorithm threw this youtuber at me. He's ostensibly a fantasy novel reviewer, but he is a HUGE WoT fan. HUGE. (And also a Brandon Sanderson fan, who he's calling potentially the GOAT.)

He's currently doing a re-read to prep for the show and goign all over the news and trailer breakdowns, and he is also... reading One Piece.

Back in April he was like "yeah, this is pretty good. Just get the digital copies though, its too long for anyone to get all of." And by September he has like the first 8 omnibuses prominently displayed on his shelf and has a Chopper hat and Luffy hat for doing videos. Its great to see. I've watched a bunch of his videos the last few days, he's pretty entertaining!

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Oh, that guy. I remember a Cosmere ranking video by him in which he held up Way of Kings as a perfect book and the best thing Sanderson's ever written. He had two of the Wax and Wayne books mixed up so I wrote him off after that.

For the record, Oathbringer is the best Stormlight book and Words of Radiance beats out WoK too.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Oh, that guy. I remember a Cosmere ranking video by him in which he held up Way of Kings as a perfect book and the best thing Sanderson's ever written. He had two of the Wax and Wayne books mixed up so I wrote him off after that.
    Well, all the W&W books are kind of meh. I read them about 5 years ago, and I couldn't tell you which book was which or what happened in them. They super blend together and didn't accomplish much. Compared to the first Mistborn trilogy which I read like 8 years ago, I can you clearly what the climax was for each book and what the situation of the main characters was per given book.

For the record, Oathbringer is the best Stormlight book and Words of Radiance beats out WoK too.
    I liked Kings way more than Radiance. Kaladin's early struggle and backstory did far more for me than Shallan. Bridge 4 trying to survive worked much better as a hook than the plot stuff that started pushing heavier in the second book. Oathbringer and Rythm might be better but by that point they've got thousands of pages of setup so it starts to become less fair to compare.

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Well, all the W&W books are kind of meh. I read them about 5 years ago, and I couldn't tell you which book was which or what happened in them. They super blend together and didn't accomplish much. Compared to the first Mistborn trilogy which I read like 8 years ago, I can you clearly what the climax was for each book and what the situation of the main characters was per given book.

I liked Kings way more than Radiance. Kaladin's early struggle and backstory did far more for me than Shallan. Bridge 4 trying to survive worked much better as a hook than the plot stuff that started pushing heavier in the second book. Oathbringer and Rythm might be better but by that point they've got thousands of pages of setup so it starts to become less fair to compare.
    The W&W are mostly middling but fun enough. I wouldn't criticize people for mixing some of them up if they weren't framing themselves as an authority on Sanderson books.

WoK is definitely good, but it hardly justifies its length. Ultimately very little happens compared to other books, and it's almost all Kaladin-focused. The Bridge Four story is good but it's ultimately not all that original compared to other events in later books and my immediate impression upon finishing the book back in 2013 was "that's it?"

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Rhythm of War has been my favorite SL book thus far. Navani's story was surprisingly engaging, it had really compelling action throughout, Kaladin's development was more satisfying than in any book since WoK, and there were so many Oh Shit moments, especially the ending. I absolutely love Wax and Wayne and recommend listening to them on audiobook. It really brings the characters and stories alive in a way that enhances everything. I prefer the first Mistborn series narrative, but love the Wax and Wayne characters moreso. I also encourage everyone to check out the short stories and novellas from Sanderson.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

I loved the third Stormlight book when,
    Spoiler:
    all the surge binders teamed up to fight the Parshendi invasion (Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Szeth, Lift, Jasnah, Renarin and Adolin)

It reminded me so much of the first Avengers movie (which is my favorite movie of all time)

Edit: my favorite of his books though is still the first Mistborn book
    Last edited by Robby; October 2nd, 2021 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    The W&W are mostly middling but fun enough. I wouldn't criticize people for mixing some of them up if they weren't framing themselves as an authority on Sanderson books.
    In the videos I've seen at least he never calls himself an authority or an expert or anything like that, just a big fan.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I loved the third Stormlight book when,
    Just a friendly reminder, but especially when your talking about later book in a series, and one that's not the actual topic to thread, use spoilers if you're going to say anything not vaugue.

No harm here because I think everyone in the room is through the third Stormlight book (I haven't gotten to 4 yet) but, for example, one of the characters you name is thought to be dead for most of a book, and anyone in the middle of that book, or still on the first, wouldn't know they're still around yet

That's also a pretty specific list of names for an overall plot spoiler..

In the videos I've seen at least he never calls himself an authority or an expert or anything like that, just a big fan.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Just a friendly reminder, but especially when your talking about later book in a series, and one that's not the actual topic to thread, use spoilers if you're going to say anything not vaugue.

No harm here because I think everyone in the room is through the third Stormlight book (I haven't gotten to 4 yet) but, for example, one of the characters you name is thought to be dead for most of a book, and anyone in the middle of that book, or still on the first, wouldn't know they're still around yet

That's also a pretty specific list of names for an overall plot spoiler..
    Sorry .

Just finished the first book!!

Spoiler:
    I like that all the boys got something unique about them, Rand is the dragon, the one male who can use the one power, Mat has the dagger that has an evil so powerful that even the dark oneís forces fear, and Perrin is part of like a wolf hive mind which I find very cool

Iím wondering what will happen next book, Rand will obviously learn how to use his power at some point, but what will be the trigger for that

Also very interested to see where the others stories go, I will love to see the girls become full fledged Aes Sedai, and Iím super interested where the other boys go, looking forward to the next book

Edit: I wanted to watch the trailer for the show, does it spoil anything outside of the first book?
    Last edited by Shiebs; October 5th, 2021 at 07:46 PM.

Edit: I wanted to watch the trailer for the show, does it spoil anything outside of the first book?
    The fist season is confirmed to only be the first book. They'll combine books later but season one is only the first.

It barely shows anything past the starting chapters except quick glimpses. You're fine to watch it.

As for all your questions, you are asking the right things. You'll almost certainly be surprised where it goes.

Enjoy the next few books, they're all pretty solid through the first five or six.

The fist season is confirmed to only be the first book. They'll combine books later but season one is only the first.

It barely shows anything past the starting chapters except quick glimpses. You're fine to watch it.

As for all your questions, you are asking the right things. You'll almost certainly be surprised where it goes.

Enjoy the next few books, they're all pretty solid through the first five or six.
    The first season is a mix of the first three books, and I think that it’s been suggested some of the New Spring prequel will make it’s way into it

Quote Originally Posted by Hero Garp View Post
    The first season is a mix of the first three books, and I think that it’s been suggested some of the New Spring prequel will make it’s way into it
    Where did you hear that? Brandon Sanderson said in an interview that he's one of the producers that had read all the scripts and that the first season was first book, and later seasons would be more combined.

3 minutes in.

This was just a week ago so I wouldn't think it was outdated info.

They might fit world building details in from later books that they have hindsight for, like "Character X is important so lets introduce them in season 1 instead of season 4" but that's not the same as combining books.
    Last edited by Robby; October 7th, 2021 at 09:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information