+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite records ever

Default Favorite records ever

Title pretty much says it all

Clearly each person has a bunch of LPs that he or she considers really fantastic, but among that group there tends to be an even smaller population of albums that the listener would deem utterly perfect or truly the best

So I guess name your top 5 albums
    don't really have to stick to 5, but keep it short

for me:
    Galaxie 500 - On Fire
    Galaxie 500 - Today
    Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
    The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Default Re: Favorite records ever

River City Extension - Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Your Anger
    River City Extension - Nautical Sabbatical
    Slough Feg - Traveller
    Television - Marquee Moon
    Nena - Eisbrecher
    Ayreon - Human Equation

Special mentions:
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads
    Pink Floyd - Animals

Perfect:
    John Frusciante - The Empyrean
    Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
    The Mountain Goats - The Life of the World to Come
    Elliott Smith - Self Titled
    Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Near-perfect:
    Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad of the Broken Seas
    Eels - Beautiful Freak
    My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
    The National - Alligator
    dEUS - In A Bar, Under The Sea

They Might Be Giants - Flood
    The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Duran Duran - Seven and the Ragged Tiger
    Yes - Close to the Edge
    Nirvana - In Utero

Honorable Mentions:
    The Beatles - Rubber Soul
    They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18
    The Who - Who's Next
    The B-52s - Cosmic Thing
    Dexy's Midnight Runners - Too-Rye-Ay

Perfection:

American IV: The Man Comes Around
    by Johnny Cash
    Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys
    Pancho and Lefty by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard
    Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix
    40 Greatest Hits by Hank Williams

Near perfection:

Rebel Within by Hank Williams III
    Aloha From Hawaii: Via Satellite by Elvis Presley
    Neck and Neck by Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler (aka "country guitar bible")
    King of the Delta Blues by Robert Johnson
    Anything and everything by Bill Monroe

Naming a top 5 is a difficult thing. I have a top 3 lined up, but only due to their tremendous staying power.

1. Frank Zappa - We're Only in it for the Money

My favorite album of all time. When I first listened to it, I listened to it over 100 times in a month. It's very experimental in design, but doesn't forget the value of composition and momentum. The songs flow into each other in ways that build on the previous and so few of the songs are alike. When they are, that's the result of Zappa carrying themes around, both musically and lyrically. In bringing that together, it makes a unique cohesive product of an entirely disjointed sound. It's like listening to a radio break down. Instead of fearing that quality, the album revels in it. The lyrics are also pretty top notch, too, connecting vaguely through the theme of society in the 60s and how pop culture likes to trample its roots. Picking out a favorite moment is hard, since the album feels like one big moment, but I think "What's The Ugliest Part of Your Body" characterizes the experience. It's short, hilarious, bizarre and feels like something is wrong.

Hidden:

2. The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee

This is a close second for me. Growing up with Frank Zappa, I realized quickly how tired, clichéd and stupid the ground got for love songs... Until this album. This was my first exposure to the Mountain Goats and still stands out as my favorite from them. Thematically, it centers around a married couple with a rocky relationship. They love one another one minute and are at each others throats the next. John makes you believe it. With his brilliant lyricism, he paints a love story, simple, real and brutal, deeper and better-written than any aisle of romantic dreck found at your local book store. This is music, though, and I must comment on that as well. This was John's first hi-fi effort and he showed us the value in his shift in style. By expanding his sound and production, he was able to write moments so much quieter and closer than he did before as well as make the hard-hitters hit harder. As ever, though, he writes melodies that are able to express the emotions carried by his lyrics. "No Children" is the real standout here by any measure, which is absolutely crushing and gleeful at the same time.

Hidden:

3. The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

This album is so free. That's the best way to put it. It embodies the freedom that punk has always spiritually desired, but easily loses sight of. They are what they are when they want to be. Songs take influence from all over; jazz, polka, Spanish guitar, funk, Steely Dan, whatever they want. Lyrically, they can be political, societal, historical, dumb, poetic or some combination of those qualities. I love this album so much because I appreciate its soul in all of its idiosyncrasy. They don't get wrapped up in defining themselves and instead just be themselves. And it all works fantastically, because no matter what they're playing, they're the Minutemen and no one else. My favorite tune on the album has to be "It's Expected, I'm Gone." It's both laid back and has attitude, and it's attitude is against attitude.

Hidden:

I'll come up with another two to post later. Not out of obligation, but prog and metal, my favorite genres, are not really represented here. I'm going to pick one album from each and edit this.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

The Guy With The Red Hair LogiaFruit6's Avatar

Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory-Dream Theater
    The most complete, seamless, and interesting album/story I've probably ever heard or will hear.
    Fragile- Yes
    From the classic opening with Roundabout I've loved the composition of the album as 4 main songs with 5 'solo' pieces interspersed around them with Chris, Steve, Alan, Rick, and Jon all offering their own little flourishes. And the ending with Heart of the Sunrise is just spectacular.
    Sailing the Seas of Cheese-Primus
    Though my neverending love for Primus may cloud my judgement, I simply adore Claypool's wacky humor/subject matter along with the inventive basslines that he performs throughout the album.
    Doolittle-Pixies
    While intervening between light/dark and soft/loud atmospheres and lyrical matter, the Pixies put together a fantastic album that you can bop your head to, sing along with, and just listen with disregard towards all before you realize everything is over and it's time to play it again.
    Pawn Hearts-Van der Graaf Generator
    Peter Hammil has always had a very emotional way of singing, but not in the touchy-feely, understand-me sort of feeling. More like the 'you-better-feel-what-I'm-singing-about" direction that is missed in most serious matter. The 23-minute "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" is also in the running as one of my favorite prog-rock epics
    "The Accumulated Filth of All Their Sex and Murder Will Foam Up About Their Waists and All the Whores and Politicians Will Look Up and Shout "Save Us"...and I'll Look Down and Whisper "No"." - Rorshach

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information