+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for fans of Prog rock

Default Re: Looking for fans of Prog rock

The other thing is that people don't realize that technical playing does not necessarily equal prog; complex arrangements play a big part as well. That's why I enjoy Amaseffer. They don't really play technical music at all, but instead make some unique, complex and theatrical compositions.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

I'm not a fan of metal in general, so I don't usually find prog metal enjoyable. I tend to like more keyboard-based stuff.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Do you guys know a site called THE PROGRESSIVE ARCHIVES? www.progarchives.com It's the best resource on the net for looking up info on prog bands, even the most obscure ones. The site breaks down progressive rock into many sub-genres like "symphonic prog" or "eclectic." Very cool site.

Rather, THE PROGRESSIVE ROCK ARCHIVES

Wow, I just heard the band Transatlantic for the first time. It's a super group consisting of members from Dream Theater (Mike Portnoy), Spock's Beard, Marillion, and the Flower Kings. Has anyone heard this band?

Eh I guess you could say that the majority of the bands that I listen to are progressive rock or heaver forms of progressive.

Tool is my favorite band but most wouldn't consider them progressive rock at all but hey what can I say there closer then most bands are.

Some of my other favorite prog bands are...
    Porcupine Tree
    Opeth
    Pink Floyd
    Rush
    Genesis
    King Crimson
    Dream Theater

If you would consider these prog....
    Isis
    dredg
    Riverside
    The Mars Volta
    etc etc

Also if you are a fan of Porcupine Tree, SW's side project Blackfield is pretty good. Ive got both of the albums and there actually pretty good.

Also Wagomu I couldnt tell if you were saying that Between The Buried and Me were not prog (maybe I didnt read it right) But there not bad musicians. The singing does get on my nerves but the way there music is placed together is actually very amazing.
    Countdown To Catch Up: Current Chapter 504 OH YEAH!

I'm not saying they aren't prog, but a lot of prog metalers seem to forget that the genre isn't about just trying to overdo everything as crazily as possible. They tend to fill their songs with instrumental wankery and poorly executed mood shifts. If you like them, then I don't care. I do enjoy some of their stuff like a couple songs off of Colors, but I'm not a big fan.

My point was, though that prog metal should be more willing to recognize that the key to it is within complex compositions and that anything else is secondary. Bands like the previously mentioned Amaseffer are what I'm talking about.

Speaking of good prog metal, anyone checked out Hammers Of Misfortune? They're a great blend of several metal genres (prog/heavy/power/folk/doom/thrash), but they pull it off really well. Lots of interesting compositions. Check out The August Engine. I can't find any good youtube vids, but Last.fm is superior in this sense and the full albums up there legally streamable. Just listen to the first couple songs in order. Awesome. Love the shift from the metallic opener to the beautiful acoustic track right after.

Yeah thats very true what you said about BTBAM, Cant really argue with the logic which im not trying to argue at all haha.

Another band I dont know if anyone would consider prog metal is In Flames. I like them but I dont know if I can really consider them prog since they really dont have that much diversity then any of the other modern day metal bands. Maybe in the ealier albums you could have said they were.
    Countdown To Catch Up: Current Chapter 504 OH YEAH!

In Flames isn't really prog. They're melodic death metal, or at least their early stuff was. Later became more 'alternative' and isn't too good in my opinion. For a decent guide to metal bands and genres, if you're having trouble discerning them, is Metal Archives. They're great in terms of listing every metal band (down to the small one demo acts in obscure countries), though occasionally they screw up genre and the reviews are rarely reliable.

TBH I really don't like getting too caught up in labeling groups as a genre. One could define "progressive" a number of different ways, and I think if a band tries too hard to sound like a cookie-cutter model of a genre then they are not very progressive.

True, since many groups break the boundaries of definitions. They're nice, though, if you're looking for a certain sound to listen to.

Yeah, I don't like labels either, but they are very useful for describing and explaining a band's sound. www.progarchives.com breaks progressive rock into a bunch of subgenres. According to the website, the sub-genre that breaks the most boundaries is called ECLECTIC PROG. The web site defines the term as this:

:quote:
    The term 'eclectic' in the context of progressive rock describes a summation of elements from various musical sources, and the influences and career paths of bands that take from a wide range of genres or styles. While progressive music can be, in a larger sense, eclectic, the 'Eclectic Prog' term is specially meant to reference bands that trespass the boundaries of established Progressive Rock genres or that blend many influences.

Eclectic Prog combines hybrids of style and diversity of theme, promoting many elements from different sources. The Eclectic category recognizes bands that evolved markedly over their career (in a progressive, evolutionary way), or have a plural style without a clear referential core.

The basic features lie within the music's variety, rich influences, art tendencies and classic prog rock elements. Among the representative bands are KING CRIMSON, VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, and GENTLE GIANT.
    :end quote:

But then again the above bands sound different from each other, haha. Anyways, just thought that would be interesting for you all to read

Anyone going to Nearfest this year?

I'm trying to make it there, but I'm not sure I'll be able to. I live maybe an hour away from where it's taking place.

aren't tix sold out already?

They are? Shit, that's not good...

Well, It's good for them!

The tickets are sold out, but some people cancel last minute and sell them off. The information is here: http://www.nearfest.com/tickets/generalsales.asp

Anyone see the 3RP Prog Festival in Pittsburgh this past weekend? It was awesome!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8266922.stm

Good article :D

I saw Porcupine Tree live last Friday, it was a great show (even though I got lost on my way to LA beforehand and was pretty stressed out when I finally got there). I still haven't got The Incident yet, due to being broke. It sounded pretty good in its entirety live though.

[YOUTUBE]p8jm61vk2Ao[/YOUTUBE]

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information